Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Islam
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2014, 10:52 PM

15,501 posts, read 17,078,401 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by usuario View Post
Are most masjids (mosques) in the U.S. Sunni unless otherwise specified?

Would a Shia feel comfortable at a Sunni masjid? If you are Sunni, do you know of any openly Shia Muslims at the masjid?

Would a Sunni feel comfortable at a Shia masjid? If you are Shia, do you know of any openly Sunni Muslims at the masjid?

Do Sunnis and Shias trust each others' dhabihah (ritual slaughter)? I.e. would a Sunni eat meat from a Shia butcher?
World wide the Shi'a are a very small minority 10%of the world's Muslims at most. Neatly half of those are in Iran. In the USA a very large percentage of the Shi'a live in Detroit. but there are a few in other cities. I did unknowingly got to a Shi'a Masjid in Austin and was quite lost in trying to follow the Salah

There is a bit of difference between our prayer times and the means of praying. A Sunni Masjid is quite foreign to a Shi'a and vice versa. Either of us would feel quite confused in the other's Masjid. I am not aware of any prohibition that would prevent us from praying in the others Masjid. But we would be somewhat confused as to what is taking place.

A few noticeable differences in prayer

Quote:
1. Shia Muslims pray three times a day and combine Maghrib and Isha salat whereas Sunni Muslims pray five times a day.

2. Sunni Muslims fold their arms whereas Shia Muslims do not fold their arms during namaz.

3. Shia Muslims add ‘Khayr al amaal’ whereas Sunni Muslims add ‘Nawm.’

4. Sunni Muslims touch their heads to the ground whereas Shia Muslims use a wooden block or tablet of clay to rest their heads during prostration.

5. Shia Muslim scholars prohibit the use of word Amen during the namaz whereas Sunni Muslims consider it as a must.
SOURCE

The Dhabihah by either of us is valid for both. For that matter so is it if done by a Jew or a Christian provided the Christian does not pray to Jesus(as) while doing it.

Last edited by Woodrow LI; 01-19-2014 at 11:00 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2014, 12:48 PM

1,782 posts, read 2,138,992 times
I've never fully understood the difference but did a search that came up with a lot of answers @ what is the difference between sunni and shia? - Bing

All of it seems to be nonsense. Christian. Jewish, Muslim. Buddhist. Or so on. None of it seems worth killing for.

Old 01-20-2014, 09:28 PM

15,501 posts, read 17,078,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sargentodiaz View Post
I've never fully understood the difference but did a search that came up with a lot of answers @ what is the difference between sunni and shia? - Bing

All of it seems to be nonsense. Christian. Jewish, Muslim. Buddhist. Or so on. None of it seems worth killing for.
Just my opinion, but I have doubts if most of these killings have anything to do with religion. In my opinion it usually comes down to land, natural resources and other wealth.

Old 04-20-2014, 02:04 AM

5 posts, read 4,731 times
Default Islam is not the same

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptsum View Post
I find it interesting that the Islamic world seems to have some of the same problems that the Christian world has.. The interpretation of their sacred book.. My brother as you will know among the native people we have a saying that you all read from the same book, so why are you fighting?and who determines who's right and who's wrong? I believe that it should be up to your Creator to make that determination and that would only be done at the time that you cross over to the next world. It seems as though this is the problem between all organized religions whenever they put their beliefs down in writing, that writing is merely the opinion of one individual, in the case of the Islamic world and I believe that would be the word of your prophet Mohammed. In the world of Christians it would seem that it would be the word of their Savior, Jesus the Christ, but even that's questionable and I guess that's why there seems to be so many different interpretations of one individuals teachings. Organized religion can be many things, it can bring people together and yet it can cause great division, even within the same belief. Myself, I do not believe in the writings of man because his writings are subject to the fallacies of the individuals who write those words.
The quran is not the point of view of Prophet Muhammed(PBUH)..neither is that considered his sayings. The quran is the word or God. I have come to this conclusion because of one simple reason: unlike other writings of man, it remained unchanged. If we compare it to other sacred books, we see that men have changed alot and are changing. For us, Sunni Muslims .. what we are following is clearly right. Because it says in the quran that we should follow the teachings (sunna) of Mohammed(PBUH). soon after his death, whatever he said regarding religion was gathered by scholars and written in books. each of the sayings is cited(as in: he told him told him told......).. and according to certain aspects like the credibility of the people passing it and proving their presence when it was said, the sayings are rated. I think that this is these are the best credible religion sources ever present on earth.
Thank you.

Old 04-20-2014, 12:15 PM

5 posts, read 4,731 times
"word of god" *

..that this is the best ..

Last edited by muslimh2o; 04-20-2014 at 12:20 PM.. Reason: mistake (line 1) + (last line)

Old 04-25-2014, 09:03 PM

446 posts, read 485,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by usuario View Post
Are most masjids (mosques) in the U.S. Sunni unless otherwise specified?

Would a Shia feel comfortable at a Sunni masjid? If you are Sunni, do you know of any openly Shia Muslims at the masjid?

Would a Sunni feel comfortable at a Shia masjid? If you are Shia, do you know of any openly Sunni Muslims at the masjid?

Do Sunnis and Shias trust each others' dhabihah (ritual slaughter)? I.e. would a Sunni eat meat from a Shia butcher?
Most mosques in the U.S. are Sunni.

Shia feels comfortable at Sunni masjids. I have seen many Shias in Sunni mosques praying Friday prayers. Nobody objects.

Shia and Sunni trust each other. Again, I know of a few business partners who are Shia and Sunni doing a joint venture in USA. And yes, Shia Sunni trust each other's ritual slaughter - again, personal experience

I have don't have a personal experience of being into a Shia mosques but I think usually there is never a need since Sunni mosques are predominant all over the world except for Iran.

I think most Shia Sunni problems exist in a couple of Muslim countries where politics is the main reason behind creating the friction between the two groups. There is no problem, friction or issue between Shia and Sunni in USA. All of them live in peace and harmony.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Islam