Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Islam
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-20-2014, 09:27 AM

2,416 posts, read 2,021,618 times

Advertisements

Muslims on a jihad - against other Muslims (though the one group doesn't consider the others Muslims).
And it seems happy to use 'infidel's technology'.

Britons fighting for Isis in recruitment video - Telegraph

Old 06-20-2014, 02:31 PM

17,597 posts, read 17,629,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by modernist1 View Post
Muslims on a jihad - against other Muslims (though the one group doesn't consider the others Muslims).
And it seems happy to use 'infidel's technology'.

Britons fighting for Isis in recruitment video - Telegraph
Yah beat me! What makes this worse is these guys were raised in UK or Australia and still choose to commit mass murder, torture, and beheadings. Praise Allah and the great prophet for teaching them how to be good blood thirsty animals.

Old 06-20-2014, 02:37 PM

15,501 posts, read 17,066,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheProcess View Post
Have major Muslim organizations ever made an apology for all the people killed in Islamic jihad over the centuries?
How would a person even define a "Major" Muslim Organization?

Can anybody name any major Muslim Organization that has not condemned violence?

Old 06-20-2014, 08:22 PM

Woodrow, I appreciate your thoughtful and informed responses. I think what many observers are curious about is the fact that we haven't seen many mass demonstrations (I can't personally recall one) on a consistent basis on the streets of Washington, or London, or Paris or Sydney, in which Muslims decry the ongoing violence which is often committed worldwide in the name of Islam. Why is it that many of the head-scarfed or hijab wearing young women, or the earnest young men with their regulation beards are comparitively silent? Especially, when living outside the Islamic world. It might make some observers tend to suspect, that while there may not be actual condoning of some of the atrocities, there may be a sense of betrayal to criticize, a sort of 'they are still our brothers, to speak out in front of infidels would be a betrayal' or 'those guys are part of who we are, in fact, they may be truer to that which we purport to believe, so we should keep quiet'. The relative silence is still, I contend, apparent.

Old 06-20-2014, 09:31 PM

Quote:
Woodrow, I appreciate your thoughtful and informed responses. I think what many observers are curious about is the fact that we haven't seen many mass demonstrations (I can't personally recall one) on a consistent basis on the streets of Washington, or London, or Paris or Sydney, in which Muslims decry the ongoing violence which is often committed worldwide in the name of Islam. Why is it that many of the head-scarfed or hijab wearing young women, or the earnest young men with their regulation beards are comparitively silent? Especially, when living outside the Islamic world. It might make some observers tend to suspect, that while there may not be actual condoning of some of the atrocities, there may be a sense of betrayal to criticize, a sort of 'they are still our brothers, to speak out in front of infidels would be a betrayal' or 'those guys are part of who we are, in fact, they may be truer to that which we purport to believe, so we should keep quiet'. The relative silence is still, I contend, apparent.
We do protest. But here in the US us Muslims are few and far between. We just do not have the population here to be noticed.

Just from personal experience. When I lived in Austin every year the North Austin Islamic Center sponsored a Peace march denouncing terrorism. Virtually every Austin Muslim along with a substantial part of the Jewish community took part. Never once did I ever see mention of it on TV and if anything was ever said it was a small paragraph on the back page of the "Austin Statesman"

Here is a listing of some US Islamic organizations that frequently denounce radialism

Quote:
Muslims Condemn Terrorist Attacks

This page focuses on condemnations of the 9/11 terrorist attacks and other terrorist incidents since then as well as of terrorism in general. It is not a complete listing of all condemnations written or spoken by Muslims but is intended to provide a representative sample.

It has often been claimed in the media that Muslims are "silent" and do not condemn terrorism. This page is intended to refute that claim. Muslims have not been silent. Not even close. See also How American Muslims Really Responded to September 11 for more information about the Muslim response to 9/11. And another listing is at Statements Against Terror. Also Muslim Voices Against Terrorism. Related commentary at Friedman Wrong About Muslims Again , by Juan Cole and The Myth of Muslim Condemnation of Terror by Ali Eteraz.
The following is just a small sampling from the SOURCE

Quote:
Specific Muslim Scholars
A Common Word Between Us and You, by 130 Islamic scholars
Attacks on Civilians: Forbidden by Islam, by Shaykh Yusuf Qaradawi
Ayatollah Muhammad Husain Fadlallah of Lebanon condemns Osama Bin Laden, by Ayatollah Muhammad Husain Fadlallah
Bin Laden's Violence is a Heresy Against Islam, by AbdulHakim Murad (Tim Winter)
Defending the Civilians (a fatwa against terrorism), by Shaykh Muhammad Afifi al-Akiti
Expert Says Islam Prohibits Violence Against Innocents, by Shaykh Hamza Yusuf
Grand Sheikh of al-Azhar Condemns Suicide Bombings, by Shaykh Muhammad Sayyed antawi
High Mufti of Russian Muslims calls for Extradition of Bin Laden, by Russian Muslim leaders
Iran's Supreme Leader Condemns Attacks on U.S., by Ayatollah Ali Khamanei
Islam and the Question of Violence, by Seyyed Hossein Nasr, Iranian scholar
Jihad and the Modern World, by Dr. Sherman Jackson
Jihad: Its True Meaning and Purpose, by Muzammil H. Siddiqui
Most Prominent Sunni Muslim Scholar Condemns Killing of Civilians, by Shaykh Muhammad Sayyed Tantawi, Grand Imam of Al-Azhar University
Muslim Attitudes about Violence, by Shaykh Muhammad al-Munajjid
Muslim Voices Against Extremism and Terrorism - Part I - Fatwas, by various scholars
Muslim Voices Against Extremism and Terrorism - Part IV A few Quotes, by various scholars
On the Terrorist Attacks, by Imam Zaid Shakir
Prominent Pakistani Cleric Tahir ul Qadri condemns Bin Laden, by Tahir ul Qadri
Reclaiming Islam from the Terrorists, by AbdulHakim Murad, British scholar
Reflections on the National Horror of September 11, 2001, by Muzammil H. Siddiqui
Refutation of Bin Laden's Defense of Terrorism, by Moiz Amjad, Pakistani scholar
Response to a Question about Islam and Terrorism, by Moiz Amjad, Pakistani scholar
Saudi Clerics Condemn Terrorism, by Sheikh Abderrahman al-Sudayes
Saudi Grand Mufti Condemns Terrorist Attacks in U.S., by Shaikh Abdulaziz Al-Ashaikh
Scholars' Statements Regarding The Attacks In The United States, by Shaykh Abdul-Aziz Aali-Shaykh, Grand Mufti of Saudi Arabia and President of the Committee of Senior Scholars, and Shaykh Saleh Al-Lehaydaan, Chief Justice Of The Saudi Arabian Judiciary, and Shaykh Dr. Saaleh Ibn Ghaanem As-Sadlaan, Pres. Higher Studies Dept. Al-Imaam Muhammd Ibn Saud Islamic University
Spanish Muslim Clerical authorities Issue Fatwa against Osamah Bin Laden, by Spanish Muslim leaders
Terrorism Is at Odds With Islamic Tradition, by Khaled Abou El Fadl
Terrorism: Not a doorway to heaven, by Jamil Abdul Razzak Hajoo, of Idriss Mosque, Seattle
The Myth of Islamic Terrorism Exploded, by Shaykh Abdul Azeez bin Abdullah bin Baaz and Shaykh Muhammad Bin Saalih al Uthaymeen
The worst enemies of Islam are from within, by Hamza Yusuf
Top Saudi Cleric Says Attacks on U.S. a Terrible Crime in Islam, by Shaykh Salah al-Lahidan, head of the Islamic Judiciary of Saudi Arabia
Violence Against Innocents Violates Islamic Law, by Imam Siraj Wahhaj
What is jihad? What is terrorism?, by Statement by Muslim scholars

Old 06-20-2014, 10:34 PM

10,202 posts, read 7,916,433 times
Woodrow, Detroit might be a good place to start. As your aware, it has a significant Muslim population. I don't recall a multitude of protests against Muslim fundamentalist terrorism.

In my city, when Kuwait was liberated by the US and its allies, there were protests loud and clear.

9/11? Cheers, not jeers. We have a significant Muslim presence here. You need to understand why non-Muslims view this behavior with a very skeptical eye.

Old 06-21-2014, 12:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cupper3 View Post
Woodrow, Detroit might be a good place to start. As your aware, it has a significant Muslim population. I don't recall a multitude of protests against Muslim fundamentalist terrorism.

In my city, when Kuwait was liberated by the US and its allies, there were protests loud and clear.

9/11? Cheers, not jeers. We have a significant Muslim presence here. You need to understand why non-Muslims view this behavior with a very skeptical eye.
Yes Detroit has a large Muslim population. Yes the radicals did make the news. but what did the media say about the rest of the Detroit Muslims?

Quote:
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE - 9/11/01

SHARI'A SCHOLARS ASSOCIATION OF NORTH AMERICA (SSANA) CONDEMNS TERRORIST ATTACKS

(Detroit, MI - 9/11/2001) The Shari'a Scholars Association of North America (SSANA) strongly condemn this morning's plane attacks on the World Trade Center and the Pentagon and expresses its deep sorrow for Americans that were injured and killed. SSANA send out its condolence to all victims of this cowardly terrorist attack. There is no cause that justifies this type of an immoral and inhumane act that has affected so many innocent Amercian lives. SSANA supports all efforts to investigate and immediately capture the evil persons responsible for these immoral can cowardly acts. Certainly, there is no justification for these acts from either an Islamic perspective or, in truth, from the perspective of any other moral and freedom-loving people. These acts diminish the freedom of all Americans, including American Muslims. Our condolence go out to all of the victims of these inhumane acts. 9/11
-

SOURCE

Did even this make any news?

Quote:
It appears we have a peaceful resolution to the Easter egg crisis in Dearborn, Michigan we reported on earlier today. According to the Daily Caller, a display of impressive common humanity and even more impressive common sense broke out over the weekend in Dearborn, Mich. after Muslim parent Majed Moughni complained about flyers handed out at public schools advertising an Eggstravaganza Easter egg hunt to be held at a Presbyterian church.

On Sunday morning, Muslim leaders in the Muslim community stood together in solidarity in front of the Cherry Hill Presbyterian Church in Dearborn. The Muslim leaders and Cherry Hill Presbyterian’s pastor, Neeta Nichols, denounced Moughni’s complaint about the Easter egg hunt. Nichols and the Muslim leaders also urged area Muslims to come to the Eggstravaganza and have their children participate. The Muslim delegation donated $500 to the church. The money will go toward the purchase of even more eggs. The Saturday, April 12 event will feature a traditional Easter egg hunt as well as an egg toss and a relay race.
SOURCE

Oddly Detroit also has a very large Jewish population. do you ever hear about the peaceful coexistence between Jews and Muslims in Detroit?

Quote:

Survey Shows Basis to Deepen Jewish, Muslim Relations in Detroit

March 28, 2014 – Detroit – A survey of Detroit area Jews and Muslims reveals high levels of interest to learn more about the other, find ways to experience each community’s practices and customs, and engage in joint activities.
“Both groups express willingness to engage with each other,” concludes the survey, Building a Shared Future: Understanding the Muslim and Jewish Communities of Southeast Michigan. “Those who have already experienced an activity with the other group are likely to do it again.”

The American Jewish Committee (AJC) -- Michigan Muslim Community Council (MMCC) survey will be released at a conference, “A Shared Future: Jews and Muslims in Metro Detroit,” co-sponsored by AJC Detroit and MMCC, on Sunday.

SOURCE

Also check out this link

News & Events | Tectonic Leadership | Tectonic Leaders

Peaceful news about Muslims seldom makes prime time news While Detroite has a Mixture of Muslims Shi'a, Sunni, Ahmadyya and NOT The relations between them are quite good.

Quote:
Dearborn— As sectarian violence escalates in Iraq, religious leaders here have met to reaffirm a unity pact in an effort to ward off tension between Shiite and Sunni Muslims in Metro Detroit.

“The situation (in Iraq) is very volatile and it has exploded to the degree that we were afraid sectarianism may spill over to the communities here in the Detroit Metro area,” said Mustapha Elturk, co-chair of the Imams Council of the Michigan Muslim Community Council. “What we’re trying to do is make sure we’re all on board, regardless of what is going on overseas.

“Sectarianism has no place in our communities here in southeast Michigan or in America in general.”

The council of imams met Tuesday to show a united front and renew the Muslim Code of Honor they signed in 2007. They plan to meet again Tuesday, at the Islamic House of Wisdom in Dearborn Heights, to discuss the violence in Iraq and discuss how to present a unified voice.

Elturk said the goal is to promote peaceful relations among all Muslims at the area’s more than 50 mosques.

SOURCE

Old 06-21-2014, 02:16 AM

Woodrow, thanks again for the considered response. I will, say this, and it occurs to me now, you are certainly a good 'representative' of Islam, it wouldn't be a bad thing though, on occasion, to hear from others. I wonder if that lack of other responders is part of what I, and others are talking about.

Old 06-21-2014, 06:44 AM

Quote:
Woodrow, thanks again for the considered response. I will, say this, and it occurs to me now, you are certainly a good 'representative' of Islam, it wouldn't be a bad thing though, on occasion, to hear from others. I wonder if that lack of other responders is part of what I, and others are talking about.
If one is looking for responses from Muslims on C-D they are there. .as only about.06 percent of Americans are Muslims the ratios seem to hold true. I don't have sufficient information to do the calculations. But it does seem the percentage of Muslim American posters is about .06% of all American posters. Not enough to make a loud voice. There are probably less than 20 regualar active posters on this Islamic Forum. Nearly half of them seem to be Muslim. But it means there are, at most, only about 10 active Muslims posters.

To be honest I do feel that my presence does stifle many of our Muslim members from posting. In all probability I am the oldest Muslim member. Muslims typically allow the oldest to do any talking and only speak out if they disagree with what he/she says. If you look though the old threads you will find that when Muslim Members disagreed with my posts they have stated such.

If you look through the threads you will find There are knowledgeable Muslim posters that frequently post. But since the number of Muslim members is small, the numbers of vocal ones are small. Even if the Majority of Muslim members are vocal.

Perhaps a poll thread should be taken and see how many active Muslim posters there are?

Old 06-21-2014, 08:57 AM

Thanks for the response. In the case of the forum, ratio would certainly be a factor. It would still be good, however, to hear from others.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Islam