U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Islam
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-05-2014, 09:51 AM

280 posts, read 286,394 times

Advertisements

So how do you inculcate the importance of islam in our lives to your kids? How do you ensure that they can become a better american muslim?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2014, 11:52 AM

119 posts, read 107,322 times
I am a big believer in leading by example.
be what you want your kids to be

Old 05-05-2014, 12:22 PM

15,511 posts, read 13,276,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NABILBB View Post
I am a big believer in leading by example.
be what you want your kids to be
Kids are very long in my past. I now have Grandchildren that are adults.

But, I agree with you. Just be what you want your kids to be. That will be better than any "Training"

No advertising, no copyrighted material, no personal attacks

MODERATOR OF: Buddhism: Judaism: Paganism:

When in doubt read the TOS MOD LIST FAQ's

Old 05-06-2014, 05:52 AM

446 posts, read 399,218 times
There are two things that you should know about child psychology.

1. Kids at a young age naturally tend to do things that makes their parents happy. This is child's pasychology, he wants to make his parents happy. So generously and genuinely praise and appreciate your kid when he/she does something good. The kid will keep on doing that thing as he will learn that this makes my parents happy.
Stay away from yelling and screaming - NEVER HELPS.
Learn to praise and appreciate - MAGICAL EFFECTS.

2. Kids learn by stories. Tell a story to a kid and see how curiously he/she listens. So tell them stories with good moral lessons. Also make sure that stories should have the mention of God so they believe. Definitely stay away from too much advising and too much restrictions.

Now,

The best examples are already set by our prophet (saw). And one of the biggest lessons of his life, that we tend to ignore is, TOLERANCE!

Teach your kids to be tolerant and be respectful to all other faiths (by becoming yourself as an example) and make sure that there focus remains on education. Education is super important. This will keep them away from many pitfalls.

Dont expect too much from kids - they are not as grown up as you are. Raising kids require a lot of patience, so to teach them tolerance you should be tolerant yourself
Don't give them long lectures. Talk in short sentences. Kids brain cannot process lengthy lectures and long sentences.

It's important that you physically take care of them as well, so enroll them into sporting activities such as soccer, swimming etc, this way they will stay healthy and easily get social to merge into the society as a positive contributor.

And VERY IMPORTANTLY, do not limit the Islamic environment and education only within your home. Regularly take them to masjid for prayers, attend Islamic lectures, Eid functions, masjid fundraising programs, Sunday Islamic school etc. This will give them condifence in their faith and strengthen their ties with Muslim community, most importantly, a sense of identity.

And then obviously don't forget to seek protection from Allah for your kids from all ill. Ameen.

Last edited by ll0OoO0ll; 05-06-2014 at 07:03 AM..

Old 05-07-2014, 08:04 AM

1,846 posts, read 1,675,886 times
Give your children some room to accept the religion on their own. I was fairly young man during 9/11 and I saw plenty of young Muslims leave Islam because they had a poor understanding of Islam. They grew to dislike it because their parents pushed it on them and they didn't bother to do their own research.

I was different because my parents allowed me complete freedom to choose any religion, sect, or even become atheist/agnostic if I wanted. They didn't pressure me or nudge me in any direction and this helped me choose Islam for myself instead of being born into it. I strongly believe that this is the proper way for people to embrace Islam instead of being pushed into it with little interest or knowledge.

I did all my own research independently, and while I am not deeply religious I do identify as a Muslim because Islam is the religion I have chosen. I love studying Islamic history in particular and studying the great Sufi's of South Asia. There is a weird peace you feel at the dargah's of the Sufis. Many Muslims see it as idolization but honestly I view it as if I am paying respects to great people who believed in humanity. And I honestly believe it has helped people become closer to god.

Humanity is the greatest religion!

Old 05-09-2014, 05:48 PM

446 posts, read 399,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hooplaman View Post
Give your children some room to accept the religion on their own. I was fairly young man during 9/11 and I saw plenty of young Muslims leave Islam because they had a poor understanding of Islam. They grew to dislike it because their parents pushed it on them and they didn't bother to do their own research.

I was different because my parents allowed me complete freedom to choose any religion, sect, or even become atheist/agnostic if I wanted. They didn't pressure me or nudge me in any direction and this helped me choose Islam for myself instead of being born into it. I strongly believe that this is the proper way for people to embrace Islam instead of being pushed into it with little interest or knowledge.

I did all my own research independently, and while I am not deeply religious I do identify as a Muslim because Islam is the religion I have chosen. I love studying Islamic history in particular and studying the great Sufi's of South Asia. There is a weird peace you feel at the dargah's of the Sufis. Many Muslims see it as idolization but honestly I view it as if I am paying respects to great people who believed in humanity. And I honestly believe it has helped people become closer to god.

Humanity is the greatest religion!
hmmm ... not sure if I fully agree with your logic and philosophy. Yeah there may be a few exceptional cases here and there but generally speaking? I don't think you make much sense.

Being parents, it's natural that we give the best we can to our kids. And whether you agree with it or not but Deen of Islam and emaan on Allah is THE BEST thing we can EVER give to our kids.

If we go by your logic to let the kids figure it out on their own then why limit this philosophy ONLY to religion?

Why don't you let your kids figure it out whether they want to get educated? Why you send your kids to school without getting their permission or even consulting with them? Why would you take your kid to a swimming class or enroll him into soccer or bodybuilding club with the intention that he becomes physically healthy and stronger? Why you give your kids a shower? Why even feed them? Let them figure it out by themselves. Yes, they may eventually figure out many of these things by themselves but guess what? It will be too late by then. Half of their lives will be over, so it's better to help them now with the best we can.

See the problem here? All our logic and philosophy starts and ends with deen, but when it comes to Duniya we KNOW what is right for kids so we enforce it upon them. Don't we?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Islam
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or