Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Islam
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-17-2007, 10:55 PM

76 posts, read 172,754 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
I did not blame Bill O'Reilly for the actions that others took. He does repeat ad nauseam about the "war on Christmas" as an attempt to incite the religious right or those who are not intelligent enough to understand that christians do not own the holidays. Actions taken by any person are theirs to own.

I am very fearful when religions are absolutely exclusive and act on fear and hatred of that which then don't understand.

I think that the greater message is that two "enemies" helped each other out against the violence of these particular christians.
Umm O'reilly's campaign has been against "secularists" or the anti-religious. He has actually defended the rights of jews and Muslims to have holiday symbols put up alongside celebrations of Christmas (In one incident this was denied to a muslim community in a town by the majority Christian population).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2007, 02:16 AM

30,310 posts, read 51,908,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Vito View Post
Yea except thats what I'm saying. Why is this a big deal. Things like this happen in new york all the time. Where is the proof this fight was racially instigated.
Oh please... don't even try to pretend this isn't racially (religiously/culturally) motivated. Jewish people are told "Merry Christmas" on a regular basis - it's happened at least 20 times for me in the last month - and we don't beat anyone up over it. I wasn't there, so I can't say the Jewish people in question weren't rude, but enough to deserve a beating? Whether or not they did it to make a point, to be friendly, or simply to be a smarta--, I guarantee the reaction would have been different if the roles were reversed.

Old 12-18-2007, 02:20 AM

30,310 posts, read 51,908,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigthirsty View Post
Forgive me but.... I'm not trying to get into semantics.. but the fact that 10 or so people acted that way is in no way an indication of what the answer is to "How will people respond when you say Happy Chanukah"...

Its not even close..

You are drawing a rather wide conclusion as to the actions of all Christians because of what a few did.

Personally I think what they did (the "Christians") was stupid and I would have no problem if they spent the next few years in jail under the charge of "Being an idiot".

Bet that would teach them to be more merry next time!
Of course I don't think all Christians are like that... I'm just trying to make a point, that we (Jews & other religious minorities) have to worry about backlash and hate, even over a simple holiday greeting. Christians might think they can't say "Merry Christmas" anymore, but I hear it a million times a day, and nobody gets their faces punched in response.

Old 12-18-2007, 02:25 AM

76 posts, read 172,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
Oh please... don't even try to pretend this isn't racially (religiously/culturally) motivated. Jewish people are told "Merry Christmas" on a regular basis - it's happened at least 20 times for me in the last month - and we don't beat anyone up over it. I wasn't there, so I can't say the Jewish people in question weren't rude, but enough to deserve a beating? Whether or not they did it to make a point, to be friendly, or simply to be a smarta--, I guarantee the reaction would have been different if the roles were reversed.
The reaction would have been different if the roles were reversed?

No, because in order to really reverse the roles you would have to insert atypical psychotic Jews to correspond to the atypical psychotic Christians that were on that train.

Old 12-18-2007, 05:13 AM

24,620 posts, read 28,269,927 times
Back to the question, though: Why do some religious practitioners (most usually christians) feel that it is ok to beat on people of different beliefs? Why is it ok to attack a minority religion's place of worship? Why, if beliefs are so true, is there so much fear in accepting other belief systems?

Old 12-18-2007, 06:55 AM

919 posts, read 3,183,602 times
Gizmo..what is it bout christians that you hate so much? I am not one btw, but you seem to have alot of anger here...why?

Its not just christians who beat you over the head..its alot of people, even atheists can be just as irriating, all groups of all extremes are this way, so why single out christians?

Old 12-18-2007, 07:36 AM

4,440 posts, read 9,066,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
Of course I don't think all Christians are like that... I'm just trying to make a point, that we (Jews & other religious minorities) have to worry about backlash and hate, even over a simple holiday greeting. Christians might think they can't say "Merry Christmas" anymore, but I hear it a million times a day, and nobody gets their faces punched in response.
and my point is simply that 1 incident.. 1 backlash does not represent the overwhelming majority of Christians or for that matter a miniority of Chrisitans...

Now if there are other incidents I don't know about I'm all ears.. then there is a trend. Until then its an isolated incident..

Current U.S. population is around 300,000,000.. of which Christians make up (conservatively) around 75% of that or around 225,000,000 people.

So.. we had I believe to be 10 "rowdy" people.. who were hateful.

10 / 225,000,000 = a very small number in the grand scheme of things..

Old 12-18-2007, 08:35 AM

3,955 posts, read 7,195,373 times
Granted, what happened on that subway was clearly wrong. However, Jews and Muslims are treated FAR better here in America than Christians in nations such as: Pakistan, Egypt, Iran, China, or Saudi Arabia.

Old 12-18-2007, 09:15 AM

919 posts, read 3,183,602 times
Yes..Christians do seem to get the short end of it over all the other world religions, they are called intolerable, fantical and etc and most will not speak up for even their own sheep, they herd together like scared kids on a playground, not feeling they have a right to their own belief system, its rather disgusting to watch...

Old 12-18-2007, 09:19 AM

10,203 posts, read 27,111,105 times
I seem to have a different experience. I have not experienced, seen or heard of any Christians getting any short end of any stick, but rather they are held in high regard in their community and in this country.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seaharbour View Post
Yes..Christians do seem to get the short end of it over all the other world religions, they are called intolerable, fantical and etc and most will not speak up for even their own sheep, they herd together like scared kids on a playground, not feeling they have a right to their own belief system, its rather disgusting to watch...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Islam