Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Islam
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2014, 03:33 PM

2,301 posts, read 2,033,288 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by truth_teller View Post
I went to the website. I randomly chose the section about mountains. As usual, the Quran is very vague and could be interpreted to mean almost anything. There were not miracles. You are referencing the same book that touts Adam and Eve.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2014, 01:25 AM

2,773 posts, read 2,668,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GalileoSmith View Post
You are referencing the same book that touts Adam and Eve.
What book?
https://archive.org/download/TheAmazingQuran.pdf/TheAmazingQuran.pdf By: Dr. Gary Miller

Old 07-16-2014, 04:26 AM

7,943 posts, read 6,065,872 times
If Islam were the truth there would be no non-Islam. What stops these boastful heaven dictators from having their wills done and their desires met? I think it's the fact that they are merely human wills and human desires.

Old 07-16-2014, 04:49 AM

2,773 posts, read 2,668,570 times
And if Allah had destroyed men for their iniquity,
He would not leave on the earth a single creature,
but He respites them till an appointed time;
so when their doom will come they shall not be able to delay (it) an hour
nor can they bring (it) on (before its time). The Holy Quran 16.61

Old 07-17-2014, 03:52 PM

Several years ago a friend of mine found some ordinary book. As I understand it, her great grandfather had given the book to his son, which would have been my friend's grandfather. Inside the cover, her great grandfather had written "Since the beginning of time we have felt endless tides of a gravitational bond." My friend's great grandfather, who was a plumber, wrote that in 1916 and apparently for a long time it was thought he was referring to family closeness. But now it has been suggested that he was speaking about a recently discovered, a phenomenon of physics; primordial gravitational waves. Gravity Waves from Big Bang Detected - Scientific American.

It is said that the discovery could be worthy of a Nobel Prize. But of course my friend's great grandfather will not be awarded it posthumously or otherwise because -believe it or not- there's some doubt he was actually referring to the recent discovery. If only such a passage were in the Quran, right?

Old 07-19-2014, 02:07 AM

7,943 posts, read 6,065,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GalileoSmith View Post
Several years ago a friend of mine found some ordinary book. As I understand it, her great grandfather had given the book to his son, which would have been my friend's grandfather. Inside the cover, her great grandfather had written "Since the beginning of time we have felt endless tides of a gravitational bond." My friend's great grandfather, who was a plumber, wrote that in 1916 and apparently for a long time it was thought he was referring to family closeness. But now it has been suggested that he was speaking about a recently discovered, a phenomenon of physics; primordial gravitational waves. Gravity Waves from Big Bang Detected - Scientific American.

It is said that the discovery could be worthy of a Nobel Prize. But of course my friend's great grandfather will not be awarded it posthumously or otherwise because -believe it or not- there's some doubt he was actually referring to the recent discovery. If only such a passage were in the Quran, right?
I'm assuming you were being sarcastic about his scientific merits trumping his poetic ones. This is clearly an example of what reinterpretation can do for supporting unfounded beliefs and unfounded correlations. To possibly shed some light on the grandfather's remarks and level of understanding of physics, I will postulate that in 1916 it was known that the Moon's gravity caused the Ocean tides.

Oh and truth_teller, to think that men should be destroyed for their iniquity, and the procrastination of Allah/Yahweh is a gift, would only give evidence for the childish nature of the conscious of a people who can imagine and worship such a spoiled maniac brat who is unpleased with his toy and so destroys the whole collection instead of having the enlightened self-control and power to educate the needy and lovingly purify the problem, leaving good enough alone. Truly we can only wish for a true and righteous judgement upon these sort of people that spring inequity from their own egos and religions. My greatest hopes and faith for their betterment and progress.

Last edited by LuminousTruth; 07-19-2014 at 02:21 AM..

Old 07-19-2014, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuminousTruth View Post
I'm assuming you were being sarcastic about his scientific merits trumping his poetic ones. This is clearly an example of what reinterpretation can do for supporting unfounded beliefs and unfounded correlations. To possibly shed some light on the grandfather's remarks and level of understanding of physics, I will postulate that in 1916 it was known that the Moon's gravity caused the Ocean tides.

Oh and truth_teller, to think that men should be destroyed for their iniquity, and the procrastination of Allah/Yahweh is a gift, would only give evidence for the childish nature of the conscious of a people who can imagine and worship such a spoiled maniac brat who is unpleased with his toy and so destroys the whole collection instead of having the enlightened self-control and power to educate the needy and lovingly purify the problem, leaving good enough alone. Truly we can only wish for a true and righteous judgement upon these sort of people that spring inequity from their own egos and religions. My greatest hopes and faith for their betterment and progress.
Just for the record, the 1916 inscription inside the book was allegedly not about ocean tides but about a new discovery having to do with energy waves transmitted through space, which were hypothesized several decades ago (but after 1916) but only recently discovered.

Old 07-20-2014, 12:55 PM
2K5Gx2km

n/a posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodrow LI View Post
As stated above, by Ahki Tuth_Teller, the Qur'an is not intended to be a teaching of the physical sciences.

As far as the belief of evolution, one of the ealiest if not the earliest book of evolution is the "Kitab al-Hayawan" (Book of Animals) by Al-Jahiz in the 9th Century nearly 900 years before Darwin, yet so similar of Darwin's "Origin of Species" it has been suggested Darwin might have plagiarized the work of Al-Jahiz.

SOURCE

SOURCE

PROVEN FACTS regarding evolution do not contradict the Qur'an. The only issue regarding evolution is in regards to human development.
Come On!

Al-Jahiz wrote anecdotes about nature and his observations. He did not write the Kitab al-hayawan. That is an Arabic translation of Aristotle's zoological texts probably from a Syriac version. It is usually attributed to Yahya bin al-Bitriq but the author is not known. Aristotle wrote Inquiries on Animals(which was known to Al-Kindi and Avicenna), On the Parts of Animals, and On the Generation of Animals.

If anyone is plagiarizing it would be Al-Jahiz or in general Muslims/Isalm. Surely there was some influence from Aristotle but since Al-Jahiz is just giving short comments on nature we really can't tell since Al-Jahiz is not translating per-se. But he is certainly influenced. Many others have noted the struggle for existence in nature and the affects of the environment upon animals and mankind. It was also known to other Islamic writers. All of them could have known about it and have selected passages from it in their own Arabic compendiums.

Darwin did not plagiarize anything from Al-Jahiz and certainly did not 'perfect' Al-Jahiz. That suggestion is just Islamic propaganda because Religious/Political Islam has a history of desiring to usurp everything that the Kafir has discovered and to be the foremost in everything.

P.S. Also note that whether Al-Jahiz had direct access to Aristotle or any other works he was a student of Al-Nazzam who definitely knew of Greek thinking and writings.

Last edited by 2K5Gx2km; 07-20-2014 at 01:58 PM..

Old 07-23-2014, 01:37 PM

15,501 posts, read 17,075,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiloh1 View Post
Come On!

Al-Jahiz wrote anecdotes about nature and his observations. He did not write the Kitab al-hayawan. That is an Arabic translation of Aristotle's zoological texts probably from a Syriac version. It is usually attributed to Yahya bin al-Bitriq but the author is not known. Aristotle wrote Inquiries on Animals(which was known to Al-Kindi and Avicenna), On the Parts of Animals, and On the Generation of Animals.

If anyone is plagiarizing it would be Al-Jahiz or in general Muslims/Isalm. Surely there was some influence from Aristotle but since Al-Jahiz is just giving short comments on nature we really can't tell since Al-Jahiz is not translating per-se. But he is certainly influenced. Many others have noted the struggle for existence in nature and the affects of the environment upon animals and mankind. It was also known to other Islamic writers. All of them could have known about it and have selected passages from it in their own Arabic compendiums.

Darwin did not plagiarize anything from Al-Jahiz and certainly did not 'perfect' Al-Jahiz. That suggestion is just Islamic propaganda because Religious/Political Islam has a history of desiring to usurp everything that the Kafir has discovered and to be the foremost in everything.

P.S. Also note that whether Al-Jahiz had direct access to Aristotle or any other works he was a student of Al-Nazzam who definitely knew of Greek thinking and writings.
The whole point was to show that Islam does not forbid believes about Evolution.

I will agree that al-Jahiz did base most of his work on Greek findings. The notation about Darwin was intended to be anecdotal. Simply to illustrate the similarity. I did not say Darwin plagarized al-Jahiz I said: "it has been suggested Darwin might have plagiarized the work of Al-Jahiz."

Old 07-23-2014, 06:08 PM
2K5Gx2km

n/a posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodrow LI View Post
The whole point was to show that Islam does not forbid believes about Evolution.

I will agree that al-Jahiz did base most of his work on Greek findings. The notation about Darwin was intended to be anecdotal. Simply to illustrate the similarity. I did not say Darwin plagarized al-Jahiz I said: "it has been suggested Darwin might have plagiarized the work of Al-Jahiz."
Yes Woodrow, I know you did not say that - I said that those that do are propagandizing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Islam