Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Islam
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-20-2014, 07:34 AM

1,727 posts, read 1,427,427 times

Advertisements

Lost in translation is a common excuse used by muslims all the time, means nothing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2014, 07:43 AM

15,501 posts, read 17,066,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hiker45 View Post
Are you saying this story is not true? It has been reported by several major news organizations?

Female police in Indonesia must take virginity test - CNN.com
Interesting.

Now what exactly is the Major News organizations reporting?

From the link, the first paragraph

Quote:
Jakarta, Indonesia (CNN) -- The Indonesian police continue to use a "degrading" invasive physical test to check for female recruits virginity, a Human Rights Watch (HRW) report has claimed.
That could very well be true. But there is not verification from other independent sources. In could also be true it is part of a standard physical exam, misunderstood by some of the ones examined.

I can still recall the physical I underwent for the USAF in 1958. A full General physical exam can be quite traumatic and misunderstood to a very naive young person.

Old 11-20-2014, 08:11 AM

Virginity testing is showing up in all forms of the Muslim society in all countries.

a simple google search will bring up lots of examples.

Google, muslim virginity tests.

Old 11-20-2014, 08:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim_a49 View Post
Virginity testing is showing up in all forms of the Muslim society in all countries.

a simple google search will bring up lots of examples.

Google, muslim virginity tests.
And a lot of them seem to be repeats of the Indonesia report. The first page reflects only one that is not a repeat of the Indonesian HRW report.

What is interesting is the second site on the google list is: HERE

From that report

Quote:
In Turkey, a cross-sectional study in the form of a self-administered survey was given to forensic physicians in Turkey. 118 physicians completed the survey and the results are quite interesting. 68% believed that virginity examinations are inappropriate if there is no allegation of sexual assault, however, 45% had conducted examinations for social reasons. Most respondents (93%) believed that these exams are psychologically traumatic for the patients and 58% reported that at least half of patients undergo these exams against their will (Women's Health Information Center,

Old 11-20-2014, 08:55 AM

Egypt and turkey are quite a distance from Indonesia

In your own post, people don't like the tests, but hey, they have no voice in it.

Old 11-20-2014, 10:50 AM

Quote:

In your own post, people don't like the tests, but hey, they have no voice in it.
There you are very much mistaken.

Old 11-20-2014, 10:53 AM

4,612 posts, read 4,892,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodrow LI View Post
Now what exactly is the Major News organizations reporting?

The link I gave was from CNN, a major news organization in my opinion.

If you want to know "exactly" what they are reporting, read the entire story.

I posted the story because you had earlier said that you approved the way women were treated in the majority Muslim country of Indonesia and I wanted to know if you approve of the practice described in the news report.

Old 11-20-2014, 10:55 AM

Quote:

True, with the exception of [ but hey, they have no voice in it.] the google search brings up mostly the Indonesia story.

Old 11-20-2014, 11:06 AM

That's because the Indonesia story is prime news today, this has been going on for a while.

Old 11-20-2014, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiker45 View Post
The link I gave was from CNN, a major news organization in my opinion.

If you want to know "exactly" what they are reporting, read the entire story.

I posted the story because you had earlier said that you approved the way women were treated in the majority Muslim country of Indonesia and I wanted to know if you approve of the practice described in the news report.
CNN and others are reporting the HRW report.

As to if I approve of what Indonesia is doing?

I do not have sufficient information to voice an opinion.

I do not know if the exam is beyond a routine General physical.

I do not know if the majority of the police candidates complain about it. It does not seem to deter the number of applicants.

It is not a forced examination, no woman is forced to be a police officer.

I do not know why the Government feels it is a needed exam.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Islam