Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Islam
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2014, 02:34 PM

7,201 posts, read 14,983,104 times

Advertisements

I'll repeat the questions since apparently the 1st post is not visible for some reason. If there are no Muslims here please advise where I can ask these questions. Thanks.

"Please bear with me as I don't know too much about Islam. I have a few questions regarding how Muslims feel about pets such as cats, dogs, rabbits, ferrets etc. Do they keep these animals for pets in their homes? What does Islam teach about kindness to animals and not abusing or neglecting them? Are those who are cruel to animals punished? Thank you for your time."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2014, 03:31 PM

1,714 posts, read 1,759,162 times
Good question. I remember reading years ago somewhere that Muslims believe that animals are dirty and that they do not allow them into their homes, and that would include pets such as cats and dogs. I am not sure if this is true since I know more than one Muslim family with pets. These pets live in the house and are very loved.

Old 08-14-2014, 08:35 PM

67 posts, read 84,784 times
Dogs are the only animals not allowed to be kept as pets. Exceptions are made for herding, guarding livestock and crops.

Cats, birds, and other traditional pets are allowed.

Owners must be kind to all animals, and not treat them cruelly. This is evident by the following 2 hadiths, one of which describes the punishment of a woman who mistreated a cat, and a prostitute who was forgiven for being kind to a dog:
Ibn ‘Umar narrated that the Prophet said: “A woman went to Hell because of a cat which she tied up, and did not feed it or let it eat of the vermin of the earth.” [Bad’ al-Khalq, 3071]

Abu Huraira reported: The Prophet, peace and blessings be upon him, said, “A prostitute saw a dog lolling around a well on a hot day and hanging his tongue from thirst. She went down into a well and drew some water for it in her shoe, so Allah forgave her.” [Sahih Muslim 2245]

Old 08-14-2014, 10:00 PM

1,714 posts, read 1,759,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mach33 View Post
Dogs are the only animals not allowed to be kept as pets. Exceptions are made for herding, guarding livestock and crops.

Thank you for your answer. I wonder why dogs would not be allowed to keep as pets and cats would.
I know of Muslims who do own dogs and keep them as pets. They are not working dogs, just pets. I assume that not everyone follows the traditional rules?

Old 08-15-2014, 06:32 AM

4,428 posts, read 6,506,556 times
Dogs in Islam

Not muslim but I found numerous articles similar to this one on google.

Old 08-15-2014, 04:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashleynj View Post
Good question. I remember reading years ago somewhere that Muslims believe that animals are dirty and that they do not allow them into their homes, and that would include pets such as cats and dogs. I am not sure if this is true since I know more than one Muslim family with pets. These pets live in the house and are very loved.
Thank you for replying. I think it's the moderate Americanized Muslims that keep pets. I may be wrong. We all hear things that aren't always true.

Old 08-15-2014, 04:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mach33 View Post

Owners must be kind to all animals, and not treat them cruelly. This is evident by the following 2 hadiths, one of which describes the punishment of a woman who mistreated a cat, and a prostitute who was forgiven for being kind to a dog:
Ibn ‘Umar narrated that the Prophet said: “A woman went to Hell because of a cat which she tied up, and did not feed it or let it eat of the vermin of the earth.” [Bad’ al-Khalq, 3071]

Abu Huraira reported: The Prophet, peace and blessings be upon him, said, “A prostitute saw a dog lolling around a well on a hot day and hanging his tongue from thirst. She went down into a well and drew some water for it in her shoe, so Allah forgave her.” [Sahih Muslim 2245]
Thank you for this information. I did not believe that Muslims were allowed to be cruel and abusive to animals. We have a community of Muslims not too far from me all kinds of rumors are flying.

Old 08-15-2014, 04:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by baystater View Post
Dogs in Islam

Not muslim but I found numerous articles similar to this one on google.
Thanks, I am going to check that out. I knew they thought pigs and dogs were unclean but that was about all.

Old 08-16-2014, 03:30 PM

15,501 posts, read 17,066,949 times
I think the definition of unclean needs to be clarified. Unclean does not specifically mean "Dirty" technically it is referring to non-edible.

That includes not only dogs but also any animal we can not eat.

Some dogs exist because of Muslims, notably the Saluki and the Afghan hound.

While we are required to wash if we touch a WET dog or if a dog slobbers or licks us, they are not specifically any dirtier than many other animals.

We are not actually prohibited from having a dog as a pet, but do believe we will loose a percentage of any rewards we have for each day we keep one as a pet.

Old 08-19-2014, 09:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodrow LI View Post
I think the definition of unclean needs to be clarified. Unclean does not specifically mean "Dirty" technically it is referring to non-edible.

That includes not only dogs but also any animal we can not eat.

Some dogs exist because of Muslims, notably the Saluki and the Afghan hound.
I am familiar with those breeds.

Quote:
While we are required to wash if we touch a WET dog or if a dog slobbers or licks us, they are not specifically any dirtier than many other animals.
I think many of non-Muslims wash after a dog slobbers on us or we pet wet dogs.

Quote:
We are not actually prohibited from having a dog as a pet, but do believe we will loose a percentage of any rewards we have for each day we keep one as a pet.
Where does that belief originate from? Not from the Qu'ran I assume.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Islam