U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Islam
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-04-2014, 10:38 AM

1,727 posts, read 1,085,927 times

Advertisements

In a land where virtually everyone is illiterate, save a chosen few, anything can be stated as fact, and there is nobody to challenge it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2014, 10:58 AM

15,511 posts, read 13,314,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim_a49 View Post
In a land where virtually everyone is illiterate, save a chosen few, anything can be stated as fact, and there is nobody to challenge it.
Which is true and one reason the Qur'an stresses literacy. we are all commanded to Read.

Read HERE

Illiteracy is an enemy of Islam and the despots that try to corrupt Islam often do their best to spread illiteracy.

No advertising, no copyrighted material, no personal attacks

MODERATOR OF: Buddhism: Judaism: Paganism:

When in doubt read the TOS MOD LIST FAQ's

Old 11-04-2014, 11:04 AM

The literacy rate is far higher now, then it was 1200 years ago, when these works were written.

when you consider most of the written text, Islam does not want the average muslim to read, I can see where they need to keep the people illiterate.

This was also a problem with the catholics, 500 years ago when they were on their purges into the new world.

Most was in Latin, and most people couldn't read their own language anyway.

It allowed conquests that would not be allowed today. only because now the people can read their bibles.

Old 11-04-2014, 11:50 AM

Quote:
The literacy rate is far higher now, then it was 1200 years ago, when these works were written.

when you consider most of the written text, Islam does not want the average muslim to read, I can see where they need to keep the people illiterate.

This was also a problem with the catholics, 500 years ago when they were on their purges into the new world.

Most was in Latin, and most people couldn't read their own language anyway.

It allowed conquests that would not be allowed today. only because now the people can read their bibles.

True

The despots do not want people to read the Qur'an nor learn what Islam actually is.

Old 11-04-2014, 11:52 AM

We look at these writings from different perspectives.

A muslim is assigned what to believe, and what not to believe, before he even starts, and then as he goes through the text, he discards what he is told not to believe.

I look at it objectively, Believe nothing, question everything. validate sources.
Compare info from the different sources.

My type of reasoning does not sit well in religious circles.

Old 11-04-2014, 12:05 PM

Quote:
We look at these writings from different perspectives.

A muslim is assigned what to believe, and what not to believe, before he even starts, and then as he goes through the text, he discards what he is told not to believe.

I look at it objectively, Believe nothing, question everything. validate sources.
Compare info from the different sources.

My type of reasoning does not sit well in religious circles.
Can't say as I never had anyone attempt to teach me about Islam. I was simply given different views and taught to search. Constantly doing my best to verify what I find.

I fianally settled into studying the 4 madhabs and putting emphasis on the one that is most applicable to life in the Western world.

Old 11-04-2014, 12:35 PM

My studies brought me to the original sources for the religion, not what was written by the different sects over the next few hundreds of years.

It seems all the trouble we have with muslims worldwide today, use the same sources as I do.

Old 11-04-2014, 01:02 PM

120 posts, read 107,698 times
Quote:
Excelent response for the confusion, and contradiction, of Islamic text.

Keep in mind, the Shia event was about 60 years after muhammed, but was not written down for 125 years.

The sunni doc's, are 300 years too late to be considered for accuracy.
Thank you for the info. Good day

Old 11-04-2014, 01:06 PM

Quote:
My studies brought me to the original sources for the religion, not what was written by the different sects over the next few hundreds of years.

It seems all the trouble we have with muslims worldwide today, use the same sources as I do.
I will agree the trouble makers are interpreting them the same way you do.

That is their own choice and they are responsible for their own actions.

I and probably many others read the very same things and arrive at very different conclusions.

Old 11-04-2014, 01:17 PM

It's not a question of interpretation, as some is written very plainly.
If a person uses just the Qur'an, the directions can go many different ways.

It is a choice of which writings you follow.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Islam