U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Islam
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-07-2014, 06:53 PM

1,727 posts, read 1,083,827 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodrow LI View Post
More correctly what is perceived as superstition.

However, Atheism is an ideology. That ideology/doctrine being God does not exist.

SOURCE
There is no ideology, to say something does not exist. and there certainly is no doctrine.

As I said, you can claim to have a unicorn, I don't believe you. that is not an ideology, or a doctrine.

I simply do not believe you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2014, 07:22 PM

15,511 posts, read 13,289,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim_a49 View Post
There is no ideology, to say something does not exist. and there certainly is no doctrine.

As I said, you can claim to have a unicorn, I don't believe you. that is not an ideology, or a doctrine.

I simply do not believe you.
While there is no common doctrine of Atheism, each Atheist has his own individual doctrine of disbelief.

There are also some shared beliefs that are common among many Atheists: Most Atheists do seem to believe at least one of the following Doctrines.

Quote:
❄ There is something called "Faith" which can be defined as unjustified belief held in the teeth of the evidence. Faith is primarily a matter of false propositional belief.

❄ The cure for faith is science: The existence of God is a scientific question: either he exists or he doesn't. "Science is the only way of knowing – everything else is just superstition" [Robert L. Park]

❄ Science is the opposite of religion, and will lead people into the clear sunlit uplands of reason. "The real war is between rationalism and superstition. Science is but one form of rationalism, while religion is the most common form of superstition" [Jerry Coyne] "I am not attacking any particular version of God or gods. I am attacking God, all gods, anything and everything supernatural, wherever and whenever they have been or will be invented." [Dawkins]

❄ In this great struggle, religion is doomed. Enlightened common sense is gradually triumphing and at the end of the process, humanity will assume a new and better character, free from the shackles of religion. Without faith, we would be better as well as wiser. Conflict is primarily a result of misunderstanding, of which Faith is the paradigm. (Looking for links, I just came across a lovely example of this in the endnotes to the Selfish Gene, where lawyers are dismissed as "solving man-made problems that should never have existed in the first place".)

❄ Religion exists. It is essentially something like American fundamentalist protestantism, or Islam. More moderate forms are false and treacherous: if anything even more dangerous, because they conceal the raging, homicidal lunacy that is religion's true nature. [Sam Harris]

❄ Faith, as defined above, is the most dangerous and wicked force on earth today and the struggle against it and especially against Islam will define the future of humanity. [Everyone]

SOURCE

Let us look at the definition of Doctrine

Quote:
doc·trine
noun \ˈdäk-trən\

: a set of ideas or beliefs that are taught or believed to be true

: a statement of government policy especially in international relations

SOURCE

Most Atheists do hold the belief that God does not exist and they believe that to be true.----That meets the first definition of doctrine.

addendum:

The dictionary definition of Atheism

Quote:
atheism
[ey-thee-iz-uh m]

Examples
Word Origin

noun
the doctrine or belief that there is no God.
disbelief in the existence of a supreme being or beings.
SOURCE

No advertising, no copyrighted material, no personal attacks

MODERATOR OF: Buddhism: Judaism: Paganism:

When in doubt read the TOS MOD LIST FAQ's

Old 11-07-2014, 07:29 PM

Quote:
While there is no common doctrine of Atheism, each Atheist has his own individual doctrine of disbelief.

There are also some shared beliefs that are common among many Atheists: Most Atheists do seem to believe at least one of the following Doctrines.

Most Atheists do hold the belief that God does not exist and they believe that to be true.----That meets the first definition of doctrine.
Atheists are different as night and day,

There is no atheist doctrine.

Yes, there may very well be atheists who hold certain belief's., and these vary from now on.

But it is not these belief's that make them atheist.

It is the disbelief in a God, that makes them atheist, that's all, nothing else.

BTW, "I believe" I will stop at the next red light, but I can assure you, I will not pray to it, or search for a doctrine.

To insist, "I believe" that I do not believe you, is not a doctrine, it is a play on words.

Old 11-07-2014, 07:42 PM

116 posts, read 67,458 times
Atheism as ideology----I agree. As I understand it, Atheism favors humanism(primacy of human agency) and naturalism (primacy of natural causes). I like that (some) Atheists think critically and employ their intellects in the pursuit of knowledge...yet, without an understanding of Divine Reality (and Tawheed), they fall into the trap of assigning Divine attributes to created things such as in the ideas of naturalism and humanism.

The funny thing about the pursuit of knowledge is that certainty closes the door to knowledge...so, in order to pursue knowledge (....and "truth") one has to be comfortable with uncertainty.....Al Gazzali (1058-1111) said...."Doubt is to find truth-those who do not have doubt cannot think and those who cannot think cannot find truth". Thus, certainty that "God does not exists" makes it impossible to see the "signs" of Divine Reality!

On the other hand, Faith (Iman=trust) is about conviction----"the use of one's intellect and reason to arrive at heartfelt conviction"---Which means that at some point or the other, when one has found an answer that satisfies, one has to close the door to further pursuit of knowledge and acknowledge Iman (Trust). This enables one to pursue other avenues of knowledge.

The ideal is to have a good balance between doubt and trust, between certainty and uncertainty. Too much of either state is not good.

IMO, Atheists have arrived at a conviction (Faith/Iman) that God does not exist.....this makes Atheism a "religion" (way of life---world-view).

Old 11-07-2014, 07:44 PM

a·the·ist
ˈāTHēəst/
noun
noun: atheist; plural noun: atheists
  1. a person who disbelieves or lacks belief in the existence of God or gods.
    "he is a committed atheist"
    synonyms:nonbeliever, disbeliever, unbeliever, skeptic, doubter, doubting Thomas, agnostic; nihilist

Old 11-07-2014, 07:45 PM

Quote:
Atheists are different as night and day,

There is no atheist doctrine.

Yes, there may very well be atheists who hold certain belief's., and these vary from now on.

But it is not these belief's that make them atheist.

It is the disbelief in a God, that makes them atheist, that's all, nothing else.

BTW, "I believe" I will stop at the next red light, but I can assure you, I will not pray to it, or search for a doctrine.

To insist, "I believe" that I do not believe you, is not a doctrine, it is a play on words.
LOL: While you were doing your reply I was adding an addendum to my post.

This was what I added:
Quote:
addendum:

The dictionary definition of Atheism

Quote:
atheism
[ey-thee-iz-uh m]

Examples
Word Origin

noun
the doctrine or belief that there is no God.
disbelief in the existence of a supreme being or beings.
SOURCE

Now to continue with this reply.

Every belief or disbelief is an ideology. The ideology of an Atheist is "God does not exist"

Quote:
ideology
[ahy-dee-ol-uh-jee, id-ee-]

Examples
Word Origin

noun, plural ideologies.
the body of doctrine, myth, belief, etc., that guides an individual,
social movement, institution, class, or large group.
such a body of doctrine, myth, etc., with reference to some political and social plan, as that of fascism, along with the devices for putting it into operation.
Philosophy.

the study of the nature and origin of ideas.
a system that derives ideas exclusively from sensation.

theorizing of a visionary or impractical nature.
SOURCE

Your ideology of disbelief guides you in your concepts of religious worship.

Old 11-07-2014, 07:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamsiam View Post
Atheism as ideology----I agree. As I understand it, Atheism favors humanism(primacy of human agency) and naturalism (primacy of natural causes). I like that (some) Atheists think critically and employ their intellects in the pursuit of knowledge...yet, without an understanding of Divine Reality (and Tawheed), they fall into the trap of assigning Divine attributes to created things such as in the ideas of naturalism and humanism.

The funny thing about the pursuit of knowledge is that certainty closes the door to knowledge...so, in order to pursue knowledge (....and "truth") one has to be comfortable with uncertainty.....Al Gazzali (1058-1111) said...."Doubt is to find truth-those who do not have doubt cannot think and those who cannot think cannot find truth". Thus, certainty that "God does not exists" makes it impossible to see the "signs" of Divine Reality!

On the other hand, Faith (Iman=trust) is about conviction----"the use of one's intellect and reason to arrive at heartfelt conviction"---Which means that at some point or the other, when one has found an answer that satisfies, one has to close the door to further pursuit of knowledge and acknowledge Iman (Trust). This enables one to pursue other avenues of knowledge.

The ideal is to have a good balance between doubt and trust, between certainty and uncertainty. Too much of either state is not good.

IMO, Atheists have arrived at a conviction (Faith/Iman) that God does not exist.....this makes Atheism a "religion" (way of life---world-view).

Way out of line, you are presenting something, a God, as though it is real, and labeling people who simply do not believe you.
The word atheist would not even exist, if it were not for people inventing Gods.
And no, atheism is not a way of life, it is just the elimination of fairy tales that can interrupt your life.

Old 11-07-2014, 07:49 PM

Bill Maher - Atheism IS NOT a Religion - YouTube

Old 11-07-2014, 07:52 PM

Quote:
Every belief or disbelief is an ideology. The ideology of an Atheist is "God does not exist"
I do not believe in unicorns,

That is not an ideology.

Old 11-07-2014, 08:10 PM

Quote:
I do not believe in unicorns,

That is not an ideology.

As a stand alone statement it is not an ideology. But, if it is the reason you correct people that believe in Unicorns, it has become an ideology.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Islam