Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Islam
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-09-2014, 12:40 PM

1,727 posts, read 1,418,946 times

Advertisements

Believing in him, is one, but not believing in him is not.

Old 11-09-2014, 12:40 PM

15,501 posts, read 16,982,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim_a49 View Post
A set of opinions or belief's

why are you having such a hard time with that.

If you tell me something, and I say I don't believe you.

That is not a set of opinions or belief's.
It is an opinion and very much a part of your individual personal ideology,

While a religion is an ideology an ideology need not be a religion.

Old 11-09-2014, 12:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodrow LI View Post
It is an opinion and very much a part of your individual personal ideology,

While a religion is an ideology an ideology need not be a religion.
Ideologies can be about anything,

Not believing in something is exactly opposite, and there is no ideology whatsoever.

You really need to read the deffinitions of these words posted.

Old 11-09-2014, 01:05 PM

Quote:
Ideologies can be about anything,

Not believing in something is exactly opposite, and there is no ideology whatsoever.

You really need to read the deffinitions of these words posted.
Believing something does not exist, is a belief. The fact you are aware you do not believe in God it has became part of your personal belief system. Your individual ideology. You believe you are an Atheist. You do believe in something and that is part of the nake up of your ideology.

Quote:
Personal ideology polarity: its emotional foundation and its manifestation in individual value systems, religiosity, political orientation, and assumptions concerning human nature.
de St Aubin E.
Author information
Abstract

Personal ideology is an individual's philosophy of how life should be and of what forces influence human living. In this study S.S. Tomkins's (1963b, 1965, 1978, 1987) polarity theory of ideology was used to examine the manifestation of personal ideology in 4 value-laden domains of personality. Tomkins's theoretical postulates concerning the emotional foundation of personal ideology also were tested. Analyses revealed that the 2 defining dimensions of polarity theory--humanism and normativism--are related in the predicted meaningful ways to value systems, assumptions concerning human nature, religiosity, and political orientation. Evidence also was found for Tomkins's contention that specific affect clusters serve as the foundation of personal ideology. Participants who scored high in humanism ideology related autobiographical memories containing the emotion cluster of joy, distress, fear, and shame, whereas the memories of participants with normative ideologies contained relatively more anger.

SOURCE

Old 11-09-2014, 03:25 PM

Quote:
Believing something does not exist, is a belief. The fact you are aware you do not believe in God it has became part of your personal belief system. Your individual ideology. You believe you are an Atheist. You do believe in something and that is part of the nake up of your ideology.

SOURCE
Woodrow, I have no belief system.

I am open to all whenever something comes up.

However just because I do not believe you when you speak of these bronze age religions does not give you the right to lower myself to the level of a believer, inventing a nonexistent belief system for me.

Old 11-09-2014, 04:49 PM

Quote:
Woodrow, I have no belief system.

I am open to all whenever something comes up.

However just because I do not believe you when you speak of these bronze age religions does not give you the right to lower myself to the level of a believer, inventing a nonexistent belief system for me.

Everyone that has free will has a belief system. That does not mean they follow a religion or an established group ideology. Ideologies are also individual and personalized. The fact a person is aware of something they do not believe, makes that part of their ideology.

The fact a person is aware they are an Atheist, makes Atheism part of their persona: ergo their Ideology.

Old 11-09-2014, 06:19 PM

Made no sense.

Woodrow, you have been shown definitions, you are wrong.

This conversation is an exact one used by some religious leaders all the time.

People simply do not believe their bronze age stories of magic and gods, so a religious person must drag them down to their level, and give them a set of belief's, they can attack.

It is a little to childish for me to pursue any further.

Old 11-09-2014, 07:12 PM

Quote:
Made no sense.

Woodrow, you have been shown definitions, you are wrong.

This conversation is an exact one used by some religious leaders all the time.

People simply do not believe their bronze age stories of magic and gods, so a religious person must drag them down to their level, and give them a set of belief's, they can attack.

It is a little to childish for me to pursue any further.
I have no intent to attack your beliefs or non beliefs I respect and will defend your right to them.

I am simply trying to point out that back in post #243 I was not equating Atheism to being a religion.

Quote:
I was not speaking of Atheism as a religion.

My first sentence reads:

Atheism is an ideology.

Old 11-09-2014, 08:27 PM

116 posts, read 87,539 times
A better definition of "religion" is---(Wikepedia)

A religion is an organized collection of beliefs, cultural systems, and world views that relate humanity to an order of existence.[note 1] Many religions have narratives, symbols, and sacred histories that are intended to explain the meaning of life and/or to explain the origin of life or the Universe. From their beliefs about the cosmos and human nature, people derive morality, ethics, religious laws or a preferred lifestyle.

Etymology

Main article: Religio (word)

Religion (from O.Fr. religion "religious community," from L. religionem (nom. religio) "respect for what is sacred, reverence for the gods," "obligation, the bond between man and the gods") is derived from the Latin religiō, the ultimate origins of which are obscure. One possibility is an interpretation traced to Cicero, connecting lego "read", i.e. re (again) + lego in the sense of "choose", "go over again" or "consider carefully". Modern scholars such as Tom Harpur and Joseph Campbell favor the derivation from ligare "bind, connect", probably from a prefixed re-ligare, i.e. re (again) + ligare or "to reconnect," which was made prominent by St. Augustine, following the interpretation of Lactantius. The medieval usage alternates with order in designating bonded communities like those of monastic orders: "we hear of the 'religion' of the Golden Fleece, of a knight 'of the religion of Avys'".
According to the philologist Max Müller, the root of the English word "religion", the Latin religio, was originally used to mean only "reverence for God or the gods, careful pondering of divine things, piety" (which Cicero further derived to mean "diligence"). Max Müller characterized many other cultures around the world, including Egypt, Persia, and India, as having a similar power structure at this point in history. What is called ancient religion today, they would have only called "law".
Many languages have words that can be translated as "religion", but they may use them in a very different way, and some have no word for religion at all. For example, the Sanskrit word dharma, sometimes translated as "religion", also means law. Throughout classical South Asia, the study of law consisted of concepts such as penance through piety and ceremonial as well as practical traditions. Medieval Japan at first had a similar union between "imperial law" and universal or "Buddha law", but these later became independent sources of power.
There is no precise equivalent of "religion" in Hebrew, and Judaism does not distinguish clearly between religious, national, racial, or ethnic identities. One of its central concepts is "halakha", sometimes translated as "law"", which guides religious practice and belief and many aspects of daily life.
The use of other terms, such as obedience to God or Islam are likewise grounded in particular histories and vocabularies.
------------------

The Arabic word "deen" is often translated as "religion" but because English words come from a Western, Christian-centric world view---such translations are inaccurate. A better understanding would encompass "way of life" including the rules of living (law) and ethico-moral principles and philosophy(world-view)

Old 11-09-2014, 08:32 PM

116 posts, read 87,539 times
Typical of "Western culture"--religion and philosophy are separated...as they are in this forum (and often in Universities). For Eastern "religions"/Philosophies...this "unnatural" division causes problems because in the East both are the same.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Islam