U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Islam
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-19-2014, 01:33 AM

1,727 posts, read 1,083,558 times

Advertisements

There is also a huge difference between the Country, and city, people of japan, in education, and general development.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2014, 09:49 PM

116 posts, read 67,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by modernist1 View Post
As a post script to the above, you're glad to cite examples of people converting to Islam, but what if Muslims in an Islamic country wanted to do the same - to opt out, to join some other group. How would that be? Would that be acceptable? Some Muslim woman in Syria or Libya or Afghanistan blithely heading over to the church and taking Bible classes or deciding to become a Buddhist, or just to become a 'non-believer'? There's something, at best ungracious about Islam, its double standard, its insecurity (no doubt with good reason), its tyranny. In fact, to enjoy the advantages, the freedoms of another country, and yet demand special privileges is evidence of its backwardness, its lack of development. If you'd like to make a convincing case, that rejecting Islam in an Islamic country wouldn't be a problem. Please do.
In many of the troubled regions, some young Muslims are choosing Atheism. The reason given is that if God existed, such horrors of wars would not happen.

IMO, it would be simpler for a Muslim to change to Atheism than to another religion because once you know Islam, other religions seem incomplete. However, there are a few Muslims who have converted to Christianity---apparently they see a vision in white that they assume is Jesus Christ and convert. (but I have also read of a couple of stories of Christians who have seen a vision in white---assumed it was Prophet Muhammed and converted to Islam---which I personally think is a very wrong reason to convert---but each to his own.)

Many Muslims I know have attended Christian schools and/or send their children to Christian schools. This is because many of the ethico-moral principles of Judaism and Christianity are similar to Islam. For example, the concept that all humanity is equal before God also exists in Judaism and was inherited by Christianity.(---though neither understood or implemented it to its fullest expression the way Islam does.)

Yes, there is something ungracious and uncivil in our attitudes towards each other, such as Muslim exclusivists (Purists), Christian fundamentalists, Hindu and Buddhist extreme nationalists, anti-Semites, Islamophobes....etc...etc.....Fear and identity-politics are being promoted everywhere. That is why good people must counter such divisive and sectarian narratives and promote human dignity, reciprocity, justice and equality in a paradigm that acknowledges the brotherhood of all humanity.

In the West Jews, Christians and others have stood together with the Muslims to counter Islamophobia and in many of the troubled regions in the Middle East and elsewhere, Muslims have stood by their Christian brothers against the forces promoting division and sectarianism.

Old 11-19-2014, 10:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamsiam View Post

IMO, it would be simpler for a Muslim to change to Atheism than to another religion because once you know Islam, other religions seem incomplete..
I have met very few muslims who know much about islam.

Old 11-20-2014, 03:19 AM

15,511 posts, read 13,286,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim_a49 View Post
I have met very few muslims who know much about islam.
Depends on what you believe Islam to be. If you believe Islam teachers the killing and plundering of Non-Muslims, Forced conversions, inequality of the genders, than you are 100% correct very few Muslims support that belief.

No advertising, no copyrighted material, no personal attacks

MODERATOR OF: Buddhism: Judaism: Paganism:

When in doubt read the TOS MOD LIST FAQ's

Old 11-20-2014, 05:57 AM

What they support is not the issue.

The knowledge of the religion is what we are speaking of.

Old 11-20-2014, 08:16 AM

Quote:
What they support is not the issue.

The knowledge of the religion is what we are speaking of.
And every Muslim I know believes Islam is a religion of Peace. Yes we are aware they are Groups like Boko Haram, Isis etc. But most of us (Us being the Muslims I personally know) do not see that as Islam, it is local anarchy or corrupt governments and outright criminals.

Quote:
(Newser) – If it feels like deadly attacks by terror groups such as the Islamic State are in the headlines every day, new numbers from the Global Terrorism Index might explain why. The survey attributes about 18,000 deaths last year to terrorism, a rise of 60% from the previous year, reports the Guardian. Going back further to the days before the 9/11 attacks, the index sees a fivefold increase in deaths, from about 3,360 in 2000. Some facts and figures:

5 countries: Iraq (6,362), Afghanistan (3,111), Pakistan (2,345), Nigeria (1,826), and Syria (1,078) account for more than 80% of deaths last year.

4 groups: The Islamic State (or ISIS or ISIL), the Taliban, al-Qaeda, and Boko Haram are responsible for more than 66% of the deaths, reports the Washington Post.
This is a teaching of those that are bent on destroying Islam, not those that follow the Message of Peace and Tolerance. Anyone notice the ones being killed by the Terrorists are predominately Muslims.

Old 11-20-2014, 08:41 AM

Part of Islam is to kill the bad muslims. You know, the other ones.

You are only confirming posts I made earlier.

Old 11-20-2014, 08:43 AM

And please, you have to cherry pick, and misinterpret verses to promote peace In Islam.

It is a religion that evolves around war.

Old 11-20-2014, 10:25 AM

10,202 posts, read 6,091,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodrow LI View Post
And every Muslim I know believes Islam is a religion of Peace. Yes we are aware they are Groups like Boko Haram, Isis etc. But most of us (Us being the Muslims I personally know) do not see that as Islam, it is local anarchy or corrupt governments and outright criminals.

This is a teaching of those that are bent on destroying Islam, not those that follow the Message of Peace and Tolerance. Anyone notice the ones being killed by the Terrorists are predominately Muslims.
As I mentioned in another post, as long as the Middle East street celebrates terror attacks such as the meat cleaver one in that synagogue, how can Muslims who do not support terror get their message out? The perception (and perception is always reality in these issues) is that the general Muslim population supports the terrorists, and revels in each new attack.

Only Muslims themselves can change that, and most non-Muslims have not seen a substantiated, and effective, drive to change. Especially in the Middle East, in Europe, and even to some extent in North America.

The change needs to come from within. There are some Muslim leaders who understand that, however, too many who either won't speak up, or silently support those that are terrorists.

Old 11-20-2014, 10:42 AM

Quote:
And please, you have to cherry pick, and misinterpret verses to promote peace In Islam.

It is a religion that evolves around war.
Only to those that desire to believe that. It is all about personal choice and knowing we each will receive what we deserve as a result of out choices.

Those who use Islam as an excuse for violence will only reap violence in return. A Muslim is to do all things in moderation and not be an aggressor.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Islam
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or