U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Islam
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-11-2014, 02:41 AM

1,727 posts, read 1,086,134 times

Advertisements

There are about 5000 honor killings annually, and usually they are sexually orientated.
a dead giveaway is to count the ones comitted by Jews and Christians.

Expressions of personal autonomy, particularly where this is in the realm of relationships and sexuality, are the usual triggers for ‘honour’-related abuse. Those cultures in which ‘honour’ crimes occur are considered ‘high-context’ where the family predominates over the individual, and therefore any individualistic choice which challenges the collective identity and aims of the family may be considered selfish and a violation of that family’s honour.

Potential sites of conflict between the individual and the family may include:
Choice of sexual/marital partner
Education and employment
Dress
Behaviour and contact with the opposite sex
Sexuality
General conformity to the family and community’s culture and expectations.
[SIZE=3][SIZE=3][/SIZE][/SIZE][SIZE=3][SIZE=3][/SIZE][/SIZE][SIZE=3][SIZE=3][/SIZE][/SIZE]
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2014, 10:18 AM

5,626 posts, read 5,089,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim_a49 View Post
Of course you are going to bed, you have nothing to argue about.

But here is the only verse I was speaking of, from Mathew.

"Do not think that I have come to abolish the Law or the Prophets; I have not come to abolish them but to fulfill them.

And as I said, Christians will say this applies only to the ten commandments.

Christians do not use the Torah in any part of their religion.
No i really did go to bed, thats what people do at night. Not everyone is on the same time zone on the forum.

Ok so your verse says he fulfilled them, NOT to ignore them or they dont matter.

Old 11-11-2014, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohky0815 View Post
No i really did go to bed, thats what people do at night. Not everyone is on the same time zone on the forum.

Ok so your verse says he fulfilled them, NOT to ignore them or they dont matter.
The verse says what it says, I didn't write it, but it was always a source for controversy.

Christians claim this applies to the ten commandments only, and teachings in the Christian churches confirm it.

I never heard of a Christian church teaching the Torah.

Old 11-11-2014, 11:02 AM

10,202 posts, read 6,107,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodrow LI View Post
You are not seeing that as a condemnation of wife-beating. You are seeing it as a llop hole for doing so.
Woodrow, with respect, you are avoiding the answer. Your doing some of the same dance fundie christians do.

It is not becoming.

Old 11-11-2014, 11:47 AM

This presents a very real problem with the presentation of Islam to the west.

It is the people who use the good parts, and yes there are some, and pretend they are the norm accepted by all muslims.

For some mysterious reason all of these other muslims, all over the world, independent from each other, all misunderstand the religion in the exact same manor.

it is not just a coincidence, there really is something to it.

Old 11-11-2014, 06:20 PM

15,511 posts, read 13,317,313 times
Quote:
This presents a very real problem with the presentation of Islam to the west.

It is the people who use the good parts, and yes there are some, and pretend they are the norm accepted by all muslims.

For some mysterious reason all of these other muslims, all over the world, independent from each other, all misunderstand the religion in the exact same manor.

it is not just a coincidence, there really is something to it.
There are about 1.7 billion Muslims and you will find about 1.7 billion different opinions of how each sees Islam. The only thing I have found most Muslims agree upon are the 5 Pillars of Faith.

No advertising, no copyrighted material, no personal attacks

MODERATOR OF: Buddhism: Judaism: Paganism:

When in doubt read the TOS MOD LIST FAQ's

Old 11-11-2014, 07:14 PM

116 posts, read 67,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GodMadeMein1day View Post
Insecure? Seriously, it states a lot when women have to conceal themselves completely, public stonings for adultery, rioting over their stupid little prophet being drawn in a cartoon, getting mad over absolutely everything? What is it with the over-sensitivity? Sex with different partners in life is a good and healthy thing, ...
what I dislike about Western feminism is their "war on men"...and this applies to western culture in general...is that they declare "war" on just about everything....from war on drugs to war on crime to war on obesity, illiteracy....etc...etc.....(not to mention...war on other countries too!) Such a paradigm requires enemies...because there is no war without an enemy. So, someone has to fill the role of "bad guy". Such a reductionist, simplistic and binary world-view creates more problems than it solves...because the "problem' is understood and framed incorrectly to begin with.

"Men" are not the problem....abuse of power is the real problem. Abuse of power is not exclusive to a particular gender alone. Abuse of power has to be solved with a more egalitarian distribution of power. In broken countries that are run by abuse of power---both men and women suffer.

This is also the case in American racial politics. From a binary perspective, it may appear that "white men" are the "bad guys" and POC are victims...but this excludes the reality that some white people (men and women) are also disadvantaged. The real problem is the social and judicial "system" that advantages the few over the majority---or to put another way---the abuse of power by the elites for their own advantage.

When the "problem" is understood not just as an issue of gender inequality...but as abuse of power. Then, it takes on much broader implications and the solutions can be wholistic and systematic.

Old 11-11-2014, 07:15 PM

And this presents a problem that only Islam can deal with.

all of these muslims can only look to the Qur'an and sunnah as how to practice their faith, and are at the mercy of the clerics, imans, etc who use muhammed, and the written doctrine to teach it.

I realize many muslims do not wish to follow the teachings of muhammed, but please change the name of your new religion so people do not confuse it with the Islam that already exists.

Old 11-11-2014, 07:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamsiam View Post

"Men" are not the problem....abuse of power is the real problem. Abuse of power is not exclusive to a particular gender alone. Abuse of power has to be solved with a more egalitarian distribution of power. In broken countries that are run by abuse of power---both men and women suffer.

But when the religion you are forced into from birth preaches this abuse of power, a person is not left with many choices.

Only the religion of Islam itself can solve this.

But it will not bite the hand that feeds it.

Old 11-11-2014, 10:03 PM

15,511 posts, read 13,317,313 times
tgtg./;;;;;;;;;;;;b n
Quote:
But when the religion you are forced into from birth preaches this abuse of power, a person is not left with many choices.

Only the religion of Islam itself can solve this.

But it will not bite the hand that feeds it.
First a question, how does anyone feed Islam? Many perhaps most Imams are not even paid, a good many not only are not paid they have built the Mosque them self with their own funds. We do not have any type of ordained clergy or paid central religious leaders.

There are no central agencies collecting money from Muslims.

I have yet to find any Muslim that has been taught any interpretation of the Qur'an, sunnah or Hadith. I have found the typical teaching of scripture is the actual written words free from comment, interpretation or explanation. I have found that for interpretations, commentary or Tafsir one has to search on their own and consider them to be opinions that are subject to error.

A challenge for your statement "Only the religion of Islam itself can solve this."

Name any one problem you perceive. Now offer a Suggestion as to how it can be solved.

Remember Islam is not centralized, there is no common language, We are dispersed and nearly 1/3 of the world's Muslims are living as minorities in non-Muslim nations. There is no place that can be shown as the "Center" of Islam.

3/4 of the World's live in 6 Countries Indonesia, Malaysia, Pakistan, Bangladesh, India and China. They are a minority in India and China

Of the Remaining 1/4 of the world's Muslims about half live in 45 Muslim Nations (Most of which are very small) and the remainder as minorities in non-Muslim Majority nations.

I doubt if there is any "Problem" that can be shown to be common among a majority of Muslims.

No advertising, no copyrighted material, no personal attacks

MODERATOR OF: Buddhism: Judaism: Paganism:

When in doubt read the TOS MOD LIST FAQ's
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Islam
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or