Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Islam
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2014, 08:31 PM

56 posts, read 121,277 times

Advertisements

Just wondering, I've been studying Islam lately.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2014, 11:40 PM

678 posts, read 844,060 times
Sunnah directly translated means something along the lines of an easy path, smooth path. In reality, it means the words/sayings and actions of the Prophet. What he taught, how he lived, etc. They all come under the term "Sunnah". Sunnah is the 2nd law of Islam after the Holy Qu'ran. The logic behind it is that if the Prophet is infallible and is the best example sent to the world, why not follow his way of life? Considering the Holy Qu'ran commands us to follow the Prophet in his ways, we're most likely to please our Lord and ultimately enter heaven. Sounds sketchy till you realize most of the following are things like keep yourself clean, treat each other well, maintain your anger, etc. I find them very much on the same level of how Christians treat the words of Jesus to their hearts.

Sunni Islam is a sect within Islam that focuses on following the Sunnah of the Prophet. Its adherents are known as Sunni. I can go more in depth, but, hope this is enough to answer the question!

Sunnis and Shias both have their sources of Sunnah. Some are same, some are different. Ultimately, they both show examples of how to live life ideally.

Old 06-05-2014, 08:02 AM

67 posts, read 84,443 times
Sunnah is literally the way of life in Islam.

It is based off of the Qur'an and the hadiths.

When we say something is sunnah, it means that the Prophet did it and that it is expected for us to do the same, not necessarily obligatory.

Old 06-09-2014, 06:32 PM

938 posts, read 1,511,578 times
Wikipedia claims that mustahabb and sunnah are equivalent. Can someone comment on this?

It's on the page about Akham: Ahkam - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Yes, I'm aware that Sunnah refers to the ways of Muhammad, that's why I'm confused by the Wikipedia article.

Old 06-09-2014, 09:12 PM

67 posts, read 84,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by usuario View Post
Wikipedia claims that mustahabb and sunnah are equivalent. Can someone comment on this?
They are, just different levels. Sunnah holds a higher rank and is something the Prophet did persistently, whereas as mustahhab things were encouraged by the Prophet but not performed many times.

Old 06-09-2014, 09:30 PM

15,501 posts, read 17,023,829 times
Quote:

It's on the page about Akham: Ahkam - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Yes, I'm aware that Sunnah refers to the ways of Muhammad, that's why I'm confused by the Wikipedia article.
Somewhat correct. While that is true most of the time it does not hold true all the time.

I am quite certain that all things that are mustahabb (Desired) are also Sunnah.

However I believe some things that are Sunnah are Wajib (Fiqu, Fard) obligatory, not just desired, and must be done.

These are spelled out in the Fiqh-ul-Sunnah.

However,i have seen numerous listings of the 'Levels of Responsibility" that use Sunnah instead of mustahab.

But I am quite certain some of the Sunnah are Wajib.

Quote:
As regards the Sunnah that if someone abandons he is considered as misguided, it is any obligatory act that is stated in the Sharee’ah, like ‘Eemaan (faith), the five pillars of Islam, being kind and dutiful to the parents, keeping ties with kinship and other obligations which will be too long to mention.
SOURCE

However I think there is a cultural preference as some people use sunnah to mean specifically that which is not obligatory.

But I think the wiki article should NOT have implied mustahabb and sunnah are equivalent. that does not hold true for all Muslims.

Old 06-10-2014, 09:59 AM

282 posts, read 296,661 times
some try to meditate between Sunnah and Shiah for example , most of them were liberal writers and not aware of what we call " Shariah Knowledge", you as westerners copy from them an idea that Sunnah and Shia have their own source of Islam,but this is not the case ( if Shia for example has original texts or Hadiths that are true and authentic then why we would disagree with them?)
As a sunni Muslim I believe that all people who follow prophet Mohammed peace be upon him exactly as much as they can are true Muslim or let me say a sunni Mulsim. Again, why we disagree with other so called Muslim groups ? Shia for example invent a devilish idea that the relatives of prophet Mohammed or Ahlu elbait; are not normal people like other ordinary Muslim. they claimed that they have had a super power that every atom of the universe is submitted to that power. Imam Khomenie, the leader of Iran revolution against Shah in the seventies believed so!

I as sunni Muslim believe that even prophet Mohammed PBUH was an ordinary man in his creation and behavior and was chosen by God to guide people to Heavens and we respect him and love him and hate in the same time those who try to elevate him over his appropriate statue.

Old 06-10-2014, 11:07 AM

938 posts, read 1,511,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by resigned View Post
some try to meditate between Sunnah and Shiah for example , most of them were liberal writers and not aware of what we call " Shariah Knowledge", you as westerners copy from them an idea that Sunnah and Shia have their own source of Islam,but this is not the case ( if Shia for example has original texts or Hadiths that are true and authentic then why we would disagree with them?)
As a sunni Muslim I believe that all people who follow prophet Mohammed peace be upon him exactly as much as they can are true Muslim or let me say a sunni Mulsim. Again, why we disagree with other so called Muslim groups ?
I'm sure the Shia believe the same thing about the Sunni, and have Quranic justification for their view.

Old 06-10-2014, 12:56 PM

352 posts, read 418,358 times
Bismillaah ir Rahmaan ir Rahiim In The Name of Allah, The All Compassionate, The All Merciful. As salaamu alaykum wa rahmatullaahi wa barakaatuh; The peace be upon you, and The Mercy of Allah and HIS Blessings.

Quote:
Originally Posted by resigned View Post
As a sunni Muslim I believe that all people who follow prophet Mohammed peace be upon him exactly as much as they can are true Muslim or let me say a sunni Mulsim. Again, why we disagree with other so called Muslim groups ? Shia for example invent a devilish idea that the relatives of prophet Mohammed or Ahlu elbait; are not normal people like other ordinary Muslim. they claimed that they have had a super power that every atom of the universe is submitted to that power. Imam Khomenie, the leader of Iran revolution against Shah in the seventies believed so!

I as sunni Muslim believe that even prophet Mohammed PBUH was an ordinary man in his creation and behavior and was chosen by God to guide people to Heavens and we respect him and love him and hate in the same time those who try to elevate him over his appropriate statue.

I believe that The Prophet Muhammad's PBUH, progeny/family, was blessed by Allaah (SWT), All Praise Honour and Glory Be To HIM; according to Qur'an 33:33, 34.

Surah Al-Ahzab
And stay quietly in your houses, and make not a dazzling display, like that of the former Times of Ignorance; and establish regular Prayer, and give regular Charity; and obey Allah and His Messenger. And Allah only wishes to remove all abomination from you, ye Members of the Family, and to make you pure and spotless. (33) And recite what is rehearsed to you in your homes, of the Signs of Allah and His wisdom: for Allah understands the finest mysteries and is well-acquainted (with them). (34)

Btw, regarding Imam Khomeni, did you read what is quoted above, in a book that he authored? If you did, can you give me the title, so that I may read the same book. Thanks. Wassalaam. devotee

Old 06-12-2014, 05:34 AM

282 posts, read 296,661 times
Quote:
I'm sure the Shia believe the same thing about the Sunni, and have Quranic justification for their view.
No you aren't! Shia don't study Quran or prophet's speeches or narrations in their educational system,they study their own narrations which is more close to fantasy than to reality, for this reason, I say don't be sure about things you don't know
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Islam