Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Islam
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-06-2014, 10:31 PM

1,714 posts, read 1,760,343 times

Advertisements

I watched a documentary about some Muslim guy with 5 wives, but I don't remember what country they lived in.

My question though is would a Muslim that lives in this country practice polygamy? The person is originally from Jordan. Would he have one wife in Jordan and one here, or maybe even 2 here? Would this be acceptable in the Muslim community?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2014, 12:41 AM

12,687 posts, read 6,734,867 times
The short answer to your question is yes. Yes Muslims do practice polygamy. As with any other large culture where polygamy has existed, polygamy is the exception rather than the rule. Most Muslim men do not practice it. It should probably be noted that Muhammad moved the needle in the direction of women's rights among Muslims. Muhammad set a limit of four wives. Prior to Muhammad, in Arab tribes, it was commonplace for some men to have thirty or more wives. Muhammad also set the rule that the men with four wives must take care of all four wives. Some Arab men were not doing so before Islam was brought to the Arabic people.

It is my understanding that some Muslims living in the USA have had multiple wives while living here. Legally speaking, that's impossible -- only one wife can legally be recognized in the USA by law. I'm not sure how they navigate around those laws, but I'm guessing they recognize one wife as the "real wife" and the rest are just women who have to live in the same house (legally speaking of course.)

Old 12-07-2014, 05:44 AM

1,714 posts, read 1,760,343 times
Ok, thank you. I never really cared about this, but I just found out something about an old friend and was curious.

Old 12-17-2014, 02:40 PM

97 posts, read 125,958 times
A Muslim man can have up to four wives (there are conditions that have to be met) but the practice is not highly encouraged.

Since polygamy is deemed illegal in the West, residing Muslims have to recognize this statute.

Old 12-17-2014, 08:21 PM

15,501 posts, read 17,078,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by introspective View Post
A Muslim man can have up to four wives (there are conditions that have to be met) but the practice is not highly encouraged.

Since polygamy is deemed illegal in the West, residing Muslims have to recognize this statute.
Very few Muslim men are capable of meeting the conditions under which it is permitted.

The primary goal of polygamy in Islam is to provide for women that are unable to care for them self. It also serves as a deterrent for illicit affairs and discourages having more than one wife. It is a considerable sacrifice for a man to take on more than one wife, if he follows the requirements.

Old 12-18-2014, 12:26 AM

12,687 posts, read 6,734,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by introspective View Post

So if a Muslim man with four wives immigrates from Saudi Arabia to the United States and becomes a US citizen, then he must divorce three of his four wives and then completely abandon those three? That doesn't see right.

Or does that scenario play out some other way?

Old 12-18-2014, 04:12 AM

15,501 posts, read 17,078,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by godofthunder9010 View Post
So if a Muslim man with four wives immigrates from Saudi Arabia to the United States and becomes a US citizen, then he must divorce three of his four wives and then completely abandon those three? That doesn't see right.

Or does that scenario play out some other way?
It would pose a major problem as he would have no grounds to divorce his wife.
Besides he would be a real scumbag if he did so just to immigrate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Islam