U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Islam
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-10-2014, 10:15 PM

527 posts, read 559,885 times

Advertisements

I see that around my local malls and some shops Muslim owners and workers sell Christmas ornaments, nativity scenes and other Christmas related stuff. Is it halal/permitted for Muslims to do so? It feels like more and more Muslims are open to Christmas now and even more than any other religion.

Even in Muslim majority countries like in Turkey and places like Dubai, they put up Christmas trees and lights, and in some countries Christmas is a legal holiday.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2014, 07:47 PM

15,511 posts, read 13,286,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vacationmacation View Post
I see that around my local malls and some shops Muslim owners and workers sell Christmas ornaments, nativity scenes and other Christmas related stuff. Is it halal/permitted for Muslims to do so? It feels like more and more Muslims are open to Christmas now and even more than any other religion.

Even in Muslim majority countries like in Turkey and places like Dubai, they put up Christmas trees and lights, and in some countries Christmas is a legal holiday.

We are individuals not puppets. Each Muslim speaks only for himself and he alone has the responsibility to be certain his actions are halal

No advertising, no copyrighted material, no personal attacks

MODERATOR OF: Buddhism: Judaism: Paganism:

When in doubt read the TOS MOD LIST FAQ's

Old 12-12-2014, 08:13 PM

^ But can a Muslim celebrate Christmas and sell Christmas stuff?

Old 12-12-2014, 08:20 PM

Quote:
Some probably most of us believe it is sinful if we do so. As you may notice some do not think it is.

If you are asking if we have a mysterious book filled with commands, the answer is no.

Islam is all about self responsibility, not the blind following of some cleric. We alone are responsible for our sins.
Most Muslim majority nations do not have any laws forbidding things like Christmas celebrations etc. It is the personal responsibility of each Muslim to learn if they should avoid or participate.

Old 12-12-2014, 08:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodrow LI View Post
Some probably most of us believe it is sinful if we do so. As you may notice some do not think it is.

If you are asking if we have a mysterious book filled with commands, the answer is no.

Islam is all about self responsibility, not the blind following of some cleric. We alone are responsible for our sins.
Most Muslim majority nations do not have any laws forbidding things like Christmas celebrations etc. It is the personal responsibility of each Muslim to learn if they should avoid or participate.
Why is Christmas not halal according to you and Islam?

Old 12-12-2014, 09:17 PM

21,365 posts, read 24,109,773 times
Fyi,Christmas in Dubai:

Dubai Christmas Fest brings festive cheer to city | GulfNews.com

Christmas markets in Dubai - 2014 - What's On

https://en-maktoob.news.yahoo.com/ch...055113470.html

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I5EI_515kOY

Old 12-12-2014, 09:21 PM

55,667 posts, read 74,628,627 times
when muslims do such things i rejoice. when i see the burka go away when i see people drinking coffee smiling and enjoying themselves, i am glad. it is the angry vengeful violent practice of islam that i fear, not when happy muslims merchants sell christmas trees and ribbons.

Old 12-12-2014, 10:38 PM

Quote:
Why is Christmas not halal according to you and Islam?

Several things first.

I can not speak for Islam, I can only speak for my self. I do not know of any specific ruling that would prohibit putting up Christmas decorations etc.

Halal covers a rather broad base. essentially it is anything that does not result in our being punished by Allaah(swt) There are levels of halal those being

Fiqh-Things we are obligated to do it is a sin not to do them. We will be punished if we deliberately refuse to do them
Sunnah-Things we are not required to do, but we will be rewarded and/or blessed for doing them
Halal--No rewards or punishments involved for doing or not doing
Makruh--No punishment for doing but one gains reward/blessings for not doing

Haram--That which if done will result in Punishment from Allaah(swt)

In evaluating if a person is doing halal or haram, factors must be included such as but not limited to the person's understanding, the results, the intent etc.

I can only give my own opinion about Christmas decorations and celebrations. I will not do such as I personally feel neither would benefit myself or those I love. I see a possibility such might encourage a weak person to leave Islam.

There are not always clear answers and something each individual must do what is needed to survive.

Apparently many Muslims do find justification for putting up Christmas decorations and some level of celebration. It is a very profitable time of year for merchants etc. I can understand the desire to take advantage of profits that can be made I would not do such, but I am not in business nor even part of the work world any more. I can sit on my tail and enjoy my Military and private employment retirement benefits. If I had to work for a living, my attitude might be different.

Old 12-13-2014, 10:44 AM

19,724 posts, read 14,698,619 times
Quote:
I have Muslim friends from Turkey and Jewish friends that have Chirstmas trees and give gifts, as I do, as a traditional but non-religous event. I don't believe the tree has anything to do with Christ and was adopted from some other religion anyway.

Old 12-13-2014, 03:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LS Jaun View Post
I have Muslim friends from Turkey and Jewish friends that have Chirstmas trees and give gifts, as I do, as a traditional but non-religous event. I don't believe the tree has anything to do with Christ and was adopted from some other religion anyway.
While it is true the tree and decorations have nothing to do with Jesus(as) and has no religious significance.

Some Muslims such as myself see them as having had considerable religious significance for some non-Abrahamic religions. As such I unable to separate them as an act of worship for what I believe are false deities. I believe I see too much of a connection between them and a form of idolotry for me to separate the decorations from idolatry.

Other Muslims see no connection between them and any deity. They are not committing any intentional sin. Just my opinion Astagfirullah
Halal carries with it a bit more than a listing of halal/haram/makruh/fiqh/sunnah. It takes knowing, understanding, free-will and a deliberate action.

I also do not think I have the right to rain on another person's parade. I am not offended by the sight of people putting up Christmas decorations or celebrating as they see appropriate. I respect their right to do so.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Islam