Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Islam
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-01-2015, 08:16 PM

731 posts, read 1,579,747 times

Advertisements

Woodrow

Can you tell me why Muslims entered the Persia Empire and forced most of the population to convert to Islam around the year 300+? About 300 years later, persecutions by Muslims caused many Iranians to leave the country. If the word Muslim means "one who surrenders", why have Muslims historically persecuted others through the lesser Jihad, by the sword? Muslims actually don't surrender.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2015, 08:41 PM

15,501 posts, read 17,078,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by modernist1 View Post
Ok, why should the travel agent (other than a trivial busybody) care - and who is the travel agent to judge whether Paris or Kandahar is the best option? Again, believe in me (I'm so bloody egotistical and insecure that I require it, or be damned). What tyrannical rubbish.
It is not a question of the travel agent being interested in the travelers choices.
The options are given, the traveler has the choice of deciding which destination he likes best or even opt to ignore rhe existence of either destination.

It has no effect on the ticket agent what choice we make.

Old 01-02-2015, 04:59 AM

495 posts, read 684,658 times
Choice of religion by free will is a crock of crap. Your choice is regulated buy geography and how crazy your parents are. A lot of religions say if you leave you will loose your eternal soul by choosing another faith. So you could end up losing your soul , family or mortal life. Its a choice but a choice by gunpoint is not free will IMO.

Old 01-02-2015, 10:42 AM

4,612 posts, read 4,895,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinynot View Post
Can you tell me why Muslims entered the Persia Empire and forced most of the population to convert to Islam around the year 300+? About 300 years later, persecutions by Muslims caused many Iranians to leave the country. If the word Muslim means "one who surrenders", why have Muslims historically persecuted others through the lesser Jihad, by the sword? Muslims actually don't surrender.
I had a couple very close friends who were Jewish in the 1970's and one of them suggested I read the book "Jews, God, and History". I thought it was great, especially where it discussed how the Islamic world interacted with the Jews and Christians.

Basically, the writer thought the Muslims treated the Jews much better than the European Christians did.

I mentioned this book in the Judaism forum and one Orthodox Jew said he thought the book was very bad, but I didn't understand why. I thought it so good that I read it twice.

Old 01-02-2015, 11:56 AM

731 posts, read 1,579,747 times
Woodrow

Of course. Thank you, couldn't have expected a better answer.

Old 01-02-2015, 12:22 PM

15,501 posts, read 17,078,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinynot View Post
Woodrow

It is a bit complex. Interesting part is Islam (Sunni) is illegal in Iran. Iran is the undisputed center of Shi'ism and nearly all Shi'ite are Iranian (Persian) There is no evidence of there ever being an Arab presence in Persia, Arabic has never been a language used in Iran, Very few if any Iranians are Arab. Persia developed it's own flavor of Islam Ismaili and the 12er sect of Shi'ism.

Historically the conflicts between Persians (Aryans) and Arabs(Semitics) predates Islam and continues to the present. It is no secret each wants to conquer the other.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Islam