U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Islam
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 01-11-2015, 03:40 AM
 
Location: CT, New England
678 posts, read 651,017 times
Reputation: 252

Advertisements

Dar es Salaam is just about being in a place that is peaceful to practice your religion. I live in New England and it is a Dar es Salaam for me. It's very nice here (although cold!)

If you take a country like Yemen that gets missile strikes every week, of course it's not necessarily safe to practice your religion. It may involve death at any moment. Compared to another country like Indonesia which was colonized by the Dutch and they don't have that fear. They are able to practice openly.

Japan's military is actually tied up in their defeat. Not to mention, they are the only country in the world to taste an actual nuclear weapon. Not Israel, Iran, Iraq, or even Russia who has the strongest nuclear weapon along with the most nuclear arsenal. And guess who launched those bombs that killed 100k in a few minutes? <_<

Hong Kong was in a treaty. They KNEW they'd go back to China and it's not like Britain could hold much power over it when everything surrounding Hong Kong was encompassed by China. they saw it more of an economic standpoint. Go back to the start of Hong Kong occupation and you should see how UK treated China in the Opium Wars.

As for the Philippines, my understanding is rudimentary, but many of the terrorists that claim to be Muslim origin are just seperationists who have lost their vision and are just thugs. Going back in history, many of the Philippine population sided with their Spaniard colonists and converted to Christianity while the Moro people who are dominated by the Muslim faith resisted the Spaniards as long as possible.

Also, a Muslim isn't a nationality. We are of one religion but the differences between customs, traditions, language, cuisine, etc vary ALOT from region to region. My country has the 2nd highest population of Muslims but you wouldn't even be able to guess it without looking it up.

And to answer your original question, it's cause of colonialism. The more plagued the MENA countries are, the easier it is to convince the American public of unreasonably high defense budget, grabs on oil, and keeping several corporations happy that profit from war. Not to mention, many of these regions became unstable because of the direct influence post WWII who belonged to either France or England for the most part. Other regions had their troubles with other European colonizers like the Dutch and Spaniards (Philippines would be here).

Speaking of Philippines, you should know that the reason why the country is majority Catholic is through forced conversions and through the erasure of culture and customs. That's why you have many Filipinos with Spanish last name. Not natural at all. Islam on the other hand, came to Philippines through Indian and Arab traders through the Malacca Strait around 1300s. I believe it was actually a fellow Southeast Asian from Malaysia who propagated Islam big time through the Philippines. Manila at one point was a big Muslim region in Philippines. And there definitely was tension back then, too. I'm not denying that. I know it wasn't all flowery and lovely, but, nothing like the Spaniards who followed suit and conquered your land. Just typical regional conflicts many countries have gone through.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 01-12-2015, 10:09 AM
 
Location: Canada
430 posts, read 351,541 times
Reputation: 152
Quote:
Originally Posted by FutureTown View Post
Japan's military is actually tied up in their defeat. Not to mention, they are the only country in the world to taste an actual nuclear weapon. Not Israel, Iran, Iraq, or even Russia who has the strongest nuclear weapon along with the most nuclear arsenal. And guess who launched those bombs that killed 100k in a few minutes? <_<
many muslim countries were colonized after the Ottoman empire's defeat in WWI.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FutureTown View Post
Hong Kong was in a treaty. They KNEW they'd go back to China and it's not like Britain could hold much power over it when everything surrounding Hong Kong was encompassed by China. they saw it more of an economic standpoint. Go back to the start of Hong Kong occupation and you should see how UK treated China in the Opium Wars.
muslim countries went back to muslims decades before hong kong went back to china.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FutureTown View Post
As for the Philippines, my understanding is rudimentary, but many of the terrorists that claim to be Muslim origin are just seperationists who have lost their vision and are just thugs. Going back in history, many of the Philippine population sided with their Spaniard colonists and converted to Christianity while the Moro people who are dominated by the Muslim faith resisted the Spaniards as long as possible.
so its really about the religion.


Quote:
Originally Posted by FutureTown View Post
And to answer your original question, it's cause of colonialism.
not so with colonized hindus, buddhists, shintos and christians.

obviously its the very nature of islam that promotes extremism.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-10-2015, 01:08 PM
 
Location: Texas
115 posts, read 172,892 times
Reputation: 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel O. McClellan View Post
I would ask the same thing about secularism. The vast majority of planned and executed terrorist attacks every year around the world are secular, not religious. Muslims actually make up less than 10% of the world's terrorist activity. So the real problem isn't so much extremism in the Muslim world, but so much disproportionate focus on extremism in the Muslim world over and against the secular extremism. Why is that?
Can you show me any suicide bombers who are not muslim?

This site reports on several muslim suicide bombers every week. 5 this week already on the front page. If thats only 10% of terror attacks than show me the 50 non muslim attacks each week. Islam: Making a True Difference in the World - One Body at a Time
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-10-2015, 02:22 PM
 
Location: Logan Township, Minnesota
15,511 posts, read 13,286,660 times
Reputation: 7407
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forum Registration View Post
Can you show me any suicide bombers who are not muslim?

This site reports on several muslim suicide bombers every week. 5 this week already on the front page. If thats only 10% of terror attacks than show me the 50 non muslim attacks each week. Islam: Making a True Difference in the World - One Body at a Time

As for non-Muslim suicide bombers or suicide attacks the list could be quite long.One of the earliest references to a suicide attack will be Sampson in the Bible.

But Jumping ahead to Modern times. Beginning with WWII there were hundreds perhaps thousands of Japanese Kamikazi pilots that flew their explosive loaded planes into ships and convoys. None of them were Muslim

Jumping ahead to the Korean war the suicide attacker came in human waves numbering in the thousands none of them were Muslim

Then Vietnam--the stories of young women carrying babies and loaded with explosives walking into crowds and detonating them self were all too common and one of the many nightmares many Nam vets still relive.

then the Tamil Tigers they invented the suicide vest and perfected suicide bombings. None of them were Muslim They could be a thread by them self If you are not familiar with them check here:

The Tamil Tigers - TIME

Next we can look at Palestine and the "Suicide Attacks" Not all Palestinians are Muslim there are Christian, Jewish and Atheist Palestinians. All at war with Israel. While we do know the suicide attackers were Palestinians we do not know how many of them were Christian or Jewish.

Here is a very good but long article about suicide bombers. Religion does not seem to be the driving cause

The Hard Truth About Suicide Bombers | Alternet
__________________
When posting as a MOD my posts will be in red

No advertising, no copyrighted material, no personal attacks


MODERATOR OF: Buddhism: Judaism: Paganism:

When in doubt read the TOS MOD LIST FAQ's
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-10-2015, 04:04 PM
 
Location: Eretz Yisrael
21,367 posts, read 24,109,773 times
Reputation: 8869
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodrow LI View Post
...

Next we can look at Palestine and the "Suicide Attacks" Not all Palestinians are Muslim there are Christian, Jewish and Atheist Palestinians. All at war with Israel. While we do know the suicide attackers were Palestinians we do not know how many of them were Christian or Jewish.

...
In the case of Israel, all the suicide attacks were claimed by Muslims who primarily belonged to Hamas. None were Christian (or Jewish).

List of Palestinian suicide attacks - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-10-2015, 04:32 PM
 
Location: Logan Township, Minnesota
15,511 posts, read 13,286,660 times
Reputation: 7407
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pruzhany View Post
In the case of Israel, all the suicide attacks were claimed by Muslims who primarily belonged to Hamas. None were Christian (or Jewish).

List of Palestinian suicide attacks - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

While I see a possibility there may have been Palestinian Jewish suicide bombers. I will admit I can not verify such.

However, it is verifiable there are and have been Christian members of Hamas
The stats you show only say Hamas claimed responsibility. But the door is open some of them were Christians.


HAMASí (& Fatahís) Christian Terrorists: Meet Chris Al-Bandak of the Shalit Trade

By Debbie Schlussel

Itís important to note that there were Christian terrorists for Islam involved in this weekís HAMAS terrorist trade for Gilad Shalit. And as one Christian Fatah murderer was set free, another was captured planning an attack in Jerusalem.

Christian Terrorists for HAMAS/Fatah, Chris Al-Bandak and Dimitri Daliani
While the majority of Arab terrorists are Muslim, itís important to note that there is a not-so-small contingent of Christians who not only openly support HAMAS and Fatah and other Islamic terrorist groups, but take part in their terrorist attacks and mass murders. Iíve written about these people before. HAMAS has had Christian leaders. The Popular Front for the Liberation of Palestine terrorist group, which murdered Israeli Tourism Minister Rehavam Zeíevi and perpetrated several deadly homicide bombings in Israel, was founded and headed by George Habash and deputy Dr. Wadih Haddad, both Greek Orthodox Christians. Greek Orthodox, Eastern Orthodox, and Coptic Christians are among the most anti-Semitic, anti-Israel fanatics there are. In many cases, such as with Egyptís Copts, they led the Muslims in pogroms against the Jews.

HAMAS’ (& Fatah’s) Christian Terrorists: Meet Chris Al-Bandak of the Shalit Trade
__________________
When posting as a MOD my posts will be in red

No advertising, no copyrighted material, no personal attacks


MODERATOR OF: Buddhism: Judaism: Paganism:

When in doubt read the TOS MOD LIST FAQ's
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-10-2015, 05:30 PM
 
Location: Eretz Yisrael
21,367 posts, read 24,109,773 times
Reputation: 8869
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodrow LI View Post
While I see a possibility there may have been Palestinian Jewish suicide bombers. I will admit I can not verify such.

However, it is verifiable there are and have been Christian members of Hamas
The stats you show only say Hamas claimed responsibility. But the door is open some of them were Christians.


....
A high majority of the them were done by Muslims. Now if you want to include the extreme minority of Christian Palestinians in other groups, then there are a few who belong to PFLP & DFLP. But they are psuedo-Marxist groups so it's really difficult to connect them to being connected seriously to Christianity that they were born into.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-10-2015, 05:50 PM
 
Location: Logan Township, Minnesota
15,511 posts, read 13,286,660 times
Reputation: 7407
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pruzhany View Post
A high majority of the them were done by Muslims. Now if you want to include the extreme minority of Christian Palestinians in other groups, then there are a few who belong to PFLP & DFLP. But they are psuedo-Marxist groups so it's really difficult to connect them to being connected seriously to Christianity that they were born into.

It is equally hard to connect Muslim suicide bombers to Islam.
__________________
When posting as a MOD my posts will be in red

No advertising, no copyrighted material, no personal attacks


MODERATOR OF: Buddhism: Judaism: Paganism:

When in doubt read the TOS MOD LIST FAQ's
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-10-2015, 05:54 PM
 
Location: Eretz Yisrael
21,367 posts, read 24,109,773 times
Reputation: 8869
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodrow LI View Post
It is equally hard to connect Muslim suicide bombers to Islam.
I don't. I connect suicide bombers to $$$$$.


fwiw

As defections rise, ISIS faces suicide bomber shortage

http://english.alarabiya.net/en/News...-shortage.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-10-2015, 07:12 PM
 
Location: Logan Township, Minnesota
15,511 posts, read 13,286,660 times
Reputation: 7407
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pruzhany View Post
I don't. I connect suicide bombers to $$$$$.


fwiw

As defections rise, ISIS faces suicide bomber shortage

http://english.alarabiya.net/en/News...-shortage.html
I think you found the name of who they worship $$$$$'
That is a very powerful deity and just may be the world's largest religion.
__________________
When posting as a MOD my posts will be in red

No advertising, no copyrighted material, no personal attacks


MODERATOR OF: Buddhism: Judaism: Paganism:

When in doubt read the TOS MOD LIST FAQ's
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Islam
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top