U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Islam
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-08-2015, 11:39 AM

10,202 posts, read 6,089,990 times

Advertisements

Why do I get the feeling that the responder is avoiding the real questions? THIS kind of double avoidance speak is what infuriates many.

SOURCE

Q: Charlie Hebdo. Muslims go in, shoot up the place, yell Allahu Akbar.

A: Iím a humorist. Iím a satirist. Iím a journalist. Iím a writer. Itís terrible.

Q: Have you condemned the attack?

A: Iím sorry, what?

Q: Do you as a Muslim condemn this attack?

A: Well yes. But.

Q: Why do you hesitate?

A: If I condemn the attack I could make it seem like Iím justifying a collective guilt. That worries me.

Q: CNN is asking Muslims to condemn the attack. Itís not just me.

A: I didnít see CNN ask anyone to condemn the bombing of the NAACP office in Colorado. But that happened too. I guess it didnít matter as much. #FrenchLivesMatter more than #BlackLivesMatter.

Q: Itís not the same thing.

A: Three mosques were attacked in Sweden in the last three weeks. One was set on fire, with people inside. Just recently thousands of Germans gathered against ĎIslamization.í Somehow I donít think they mean a handful of radicals.

Q: So youíre saying you donít condemn the attack.

A: I already condemned it. What else do you need to hear?

Q: Well maybe Muslims should go out in the streets, to protest, to show people they donít agree. To make it clear.

A: I should think when thousands of French are gathering in solidarity and #KillAllMuslims is trending on Twitter that being visibly Muslim in public would not be a good idea.

Q: Well then condemn it in print. On the radio. On TV. Where, for example, are the Muslims condemning ISIS?

A: You mean other than the tens of thousands of Muslims who are fighting them, being killed by them, and trying to stop them? You mean the 140+ children who were slaughtered in Peshawar by the Taliban? Most of the victims of Muslim violence are Muslim.

Q: So youíre saying Muslims are more violent than other people?

A: I never said that.

Q: Well why does it look that way?

A: Whenís the last time you saw concentration camps for Muslims on the news? But thatís happening, in Myanmar.

Q: So youíre saying Muslims are innocent?

A: Iím saying the world is a complicated place. And just as I condemn the attack on Charlie Hebdo I condemn attacks on all people. I fear what this selectivity means. It betrays a structural bias so powerful we can barely see it.

Q: Are you saying this attack is justified?

A: No. Of course not. Iím saying letís not make this an occasion to empower still more people with violence on their minds.

Q: Context can be mistaken for justification.

A: Itís a good thing CNN isnít providing any context right now.

Q: So where does this leave us? Do Muslims condemn terror?

A: If I speak, it is used against me, and if I do not speak, it is used against me. I condemn violence against the innocent. I think what happened in Paris was horrible. Do I need to say more?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2015, 12:23 PM

39,087 posts, read 10,842,814 times
I don't know. I can feel his position. he condemns that act. He is reluctant to be turned into some kind of anti - Islam activist because of it. I idn't like the two example of putting words in his mouth.

Old 01-08-2015, 12:42 PM

1,266 posts, read 987,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AREQUIPA View Post
I don't know. I can feel his position. he condemns that act. He is reluctant to be turned into some kind of anti - Islam activist because of it. I idn't like the two example of putting words in his mouth.
I agree. The question suggests a Muslim can be assumed to be a terrorist or a sympathizer unless s/he insists otherwise in a manner pleasing to the questioner, which is ridiculous.

Old 01-08-2015, 12:44 PM

1,266 posts, read 987,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cupper3 View Post
Why do I get the feeling that the responder is avoiding the real questions? THIS kind of double avoidance speak is what infuriates many.
No, this is a Muslim not appreciating the demand that he denounce terrorism in a satisfactory manner lest he be assumed to be a sympathizer. It suggests all Muslims need to pledge their non-terrorism or they default to being the enemy. That kind of rhetoric is horrifically bigoted and manipulative.

Old 01-08-2015, 02:55 PM

1,385 posts, read 1,206,381 times
They'll never get it. To be honest, I'm more frightened of the "liberal" or "mainstream" Muslim, than I am the "radical". The chances of falling victim to the latter is minute, but the former are pervasive and apparently convincing many, many gullible people that Islam is nothing to be concerned about.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Islam
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or