Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Islam
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-08-2015, 03:08 PM

1 posts, read 1,124 times

Advertisements

i meet this wonderful kind hearted and beautiful women and ive been reading the Quran as she asked me to i want to know and understand her religion and do right by her but ive been told two different things on what i need to do to marry a muslim women and one said i have to convert to her religion then another said that if her parents accept me its ok please let me know what i must do to do right by her
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2015, 04:14 PM

1,714 posts, read 1,760,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dan1977 View Post
i meet this wonderful kind hearted and beautiful women and ive been reading the Quran as she asked me to i want to know and understand her religion and do right by her but ive been told two different things on what i need to do to marry a muslim women and one said i have to convert to her religion then another said that if her parents accept me its ok please let me know what i must do to do right by her
On a thread I started here someone posted this:
Koran said that:
A muslim man can marry a non muslim woman.
But a muslim woman must marry a muslim man. So the man must made a conversion.

Old 01-31-2015, 05:49 AM

7 posts, read 5,771 times
Just offer her and the family a dowry and show them you will take care of her and that she can worship even raise the children in Islam and they will let her go....

Last edited by Codane; 01-31-2015 at 05:51 AM.. Reason: Sentence didn't make sense

Old 01-31-2015, 09:20 AM

4,612 posts, read 4,894,522 times
Quote:
Who cares what her family thinks or what her religion says?

Ask her to marry you just as you are. If she accepts, fine.

If she turns you down for whatever reason, then find someone else.

After you are married, you should definitely "do right by her". That is, treat her with love and respect, and she should do the same for you.

Old 01-31-2015, 09:46 AM

15,501 posts, read 17,075,596 times
Quote:
The concept of marriage in Islam is a bit different than what is considered marriage in western religions.
It is not a "Church Sacrament" it is a civil contract negotiated between the man and woman. In the event it is the woman's first marriage the contract (Nikkah) must also be approved by her wali.
there are conditions as to who may enter into a Nikkah Some of the conditions:
Both parties must be physically, financially and mentaly mature. The man must be Muslim, the woman can be Muslim or "One of the People of the book"
these are not negotiable. If they are not met There is no nikkah and the 2 can not engage in sexual relations. If there is no Nikkah, they are committing the crime of Zina which is a Hadud crime.
For more information see:

What does Nikkah mean?

What's The Matter? What Is Permissible Post-Nikkah and Pre-Marriage? - MuslimMatters.org

Old 01-31-2015, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodrow LI View Post
there are conditions as to who may enter into a Nikkah
Wow, this reminds me of discussions my fiancé and I had almost 44 years ago.

Being Catholic, she thought we should talk with a Priest. The first priest refused to marry us. The second priest was more liberal and said he would marry us but we had to promise to raise our kids Catholic. Of course, I refused to promise that.

So we got married in her parents back yard a few months later. Yep, 44 years ago.

Old 01-31-2015, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiker45 View Post
Wow, this reminds me of discussions my fiancé and I had almost 44 years ago.

Being Catholic, she thought we should talk with a Priest. The first priest refused to marry us. The second priest was more liberal and said he would marry us but we had to promise to raise our kids Catholic. Of course, I refused to promise that.

So we got married in her parents back yard a few months later. Yep, 44 years ago.

Congratulations on the 44 years, may you have many more

It eventually comes down to what we each place as our priorities.

Us humans can be and usually are quite individualistic as to what we consider valuable.

Old 02-01-2015, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodrow LI View Post
It eventually comes down to what we each place as our priorities.
Yes, you are absolutely right. It is amazing how smart we old guys are!

Like Polonius told his son Laertes, "This above all- to thine own self be true,
And it must follow, as the night the day, Thou canst not then be false to any man."

Or as Jesus said, "For what shall it profit a man, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?"

The OP can certainly decide for himself how he wants to live his own life. You and I have managed to do that, but, to be honest, I guess it has taken us awhile, hasn't it?

Old 02-01-2015, 07:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiker45 View Post
Yes, you are absolutely right. It is amazing how smart we old guys are!

Like Polonius told his son Laertes, "This above all- to thine own self be true,
And it must follow, as the night the day, Thou canst not then be false to any man."

Or as Jesus said, "For what shall it profit a man, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?"

The OP can certainly decide for himself how he wants to live his own life. You and I have managed to do that, but, to be honest, I guess it has taken us awhile, hasn't it?
Been a long road--old man.

It comes down to discovering what our choices are, the consequences of each choice and if we can face the consequences. We alone have to face the results of our choices and accept responsibility for them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Islam