U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Islam
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-25-2015, 09:31 AM

15,511 posts, read 13,279,617 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by modernist1 View Post
In excess of a quarter of British Muslims have sympathy for the Charlie Hebdo terrorists.

Over a quarter of British Muslims have sympathy for the Charlie Hebdo terrorists. That is far too many - Telegraph

Does having sympathy for something equate to believing it was right?

It would be interesting to see how the poll was written and how the answers lead to that conclusion.

No advertising, no copyrighted material, no personal attacks

MODERATOR OF: Buddhism: Judaism: Paganism:

When in doubt read the TOS MOD LIST FAQ's

Old 02-25-2015, 09:42 AM

add to the above

I did not read the link carefully enough

Quote:
It’s a reassuring headline. It’s also wrong. Many Muslims - a majority - do indeed utterly oppose the murderous killings in Paris. But a very, very large number of Muslims don’t. Presented with the statement “I have some sympathy for the motives behind the Charlie Hebdo attacks in Paris”, 27 seven percent agreed with the statement. A further 2 per cent refused to answer the question. And an additional eight percent said they were unsure whether they had some sympathy or not.
does having "some sympathy" equate to meaning one believing it is right? those are 2 very different topics and issues. A better question would have been "Do you condemn the Charlie Hebdo killings?"

Old 02-25-2015, 09:51 AM

10,202 posts, read 6,087,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodrow LI View Post
Does having sympathy for something equate to believing it was right?

It would be interesting to see how the poll was written and how the answers lead to that conclusion.
If you believe an action or series of actions are wrong, how can one have sympathy with them?

An action is either inherently wrong, or it is not. Its not like someone can be partially pregnant.

Old 02-25-2015, 10:00 AM

436 posts, read 325,351 times
I think someone can understand and perhaps sympathize with motives for various atrocities without condoning the actions.

Locally there was a recent murder that a lot of people were outraged about. An Ivy League college student, well-liked, popular, kind, etc. snapped and killed his father (presumably, I mean he's not proven guilty at this point) who was guilty of abusing him, his siblings, and his mother. I don't know if it made national news, but here it's been closely followed. A lot of people say that they understand his motives, don't really blame him much, the old guy had it coming, etc. But I mean, I don't think anyone really condones murder. There were other ways to handle it.

Columbine was another such tragedy - obviously it was a heinous, heinous thing. But a lot of outcasts identified with the shooters to some extent (at least until it was revealed how twisted they really were). Being bullied is painful, and they could understand, to a degree, why such people would want revenge.

I can see the same being the case for those who, on the surface, sympathize with the Hebdo killers. There's some aspect of the motive that they identify with - but they don't necessarily condone what they did. (I mean... really... I would hope they don't condone what they did!!)

Old 02-25-2015, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cupper3 View Post
If you believe an action or series of actions are wrong, how can one have sympathy with them?

An action is either inherently wrong, or it is not. Its not like someone can be partially pregnant.
I believe murder is wrong. But I can be sympathetic towards an abused woman who gets pushed to the limit and kills her husband.
That does not mean I believe she made the right choice or that it justifies her killing him.

Old 02-25-2015, 01:39 PM

2,371 posts, read 1,501,804 times
I suggest that even if we read between the lines the result is disturbing. Who has been abused here?, or perhaps the question should be - Why do large numbers of people - living in the West, yet, feel that they have been abused because of a few cartoons, satirical comments in some minor magazine?
And even if they do, is that enough to feel some small measure of sympathy with the murderers? I'd say that's a problem.

Old 02-25-2015, 02:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by modernist1 View Post
I suggest that even if we read between the lines the result is disturbing. Who has been abused here?, or perhaps the question should be - Why do large numbers of people - living in the West, yet, feel that they have been abused because of a few cartoons, satirical comments in some minor magazine?
And even if they do, is that enough to feel some small measure of sympathy with the murderers? I'd say that's a problem.
Because many of my family members have oriental features I relate quite closely to the pain of name calling during the WW2 era here in the US. It was quite painful.
In the same manner new immigrants feel the cartoons are singling out all Muslims and ridiculing them. They are taken personally. No that does not justify killing anyone, but some people do have a low tolerance of pain.

Old 02-25-2015, 02:42 PM

106 posts, read 71,948 times
Quote:
the Qur'an is not about Muhammad(saaws) and was not written by him.

As for ISIS
The Qur'an is very specific that no one is to kill by fire.

Women, Children, The disabled, the elderly and religious clergy are not to be harmed in war
prisoners are not to be mistreated and must be given means to gain their freedom.

ISIS is going against the Qur'an in many areas.
Then can you please interpret Sura 3: V 7- 10 for us?

Old 02-25-2015, 03:07 PM

436 posts, read 325,351 times
The knowledge/truth was sent down to him, but he didn't write it down himself - his followers pieced it together. Or am I looking at something different?

Old 02-25-2015, 03:16 PM

2,371 posts, read 1,501,804 times
Quote:
Because many of my family members have oriental features I relate quite closely to the pain of name calling during the WW2 era here in the US. It was quite painful.
In the same manner new immigrants feel the cartoons are singling out all Muslims and ridiculing them. They are taken personally. No that does not justify killing anyone, but some people do have a low tolerance of pain.
Re the survey in the UK, presumably a fair number of the offended Muslims were born in that country. As far as 'name calling' goes - the West has long had a tradition of satire, criticism, taking to task, freedom of expression etc.
Perhaps one of the reasons that Western countries are so appealing to many Muslims is the development and enlightenment they afford, much of which one could argue has been facilitated by that very same freedom of expression.
Voicing a tacit sympathy for those who might kill to suppress that freedom might be taken as regressive, or as a form of 'civilization jihad'.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Islam
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or