U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Islam
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-25-2015, 06:28 PM

157 posts, read 81,630 times

Advertisements

The origin of Islam was tracing back to Abraham's slave son, whom was the first born through Abram's wife advice. But God clearly said that through Issac shall the line be established. Everything exsited for a reason. The Book says having many children are like having many arrows. That to speak we don't put eggs in one basket. Today, when the Christianity goes in the violent whirlwinds sweeping across the world in the name of Jesus; so what you expected the feedbacks. imo, Jesus died on the cross for sinners, but why his hosts made us not recognizing the image of their lord. From the very beginning of the war on terrorism, sending in the special forces to capture the suspect could be an option. Or even we could yell out loud for reasonings, will none to respose? But you bombed the living havoc of the Muslim communities, then what do you expect?

I believe no persons not loving life, even goodly life. Mabye Osama was just gotten pissed he did not get a frozen blueberry pie in his refrigrator.

Old 02-25-2015, 08:34 PM

2,371 posts, read 1,501,339 times
It was (the lack of ) the blueberry pie wot done it.

Old 02-25-2015, 10:08 PM

15,511 posts, read 13,276,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dissily Mordentroge View Post
Then can you please interpret Sura 3: V 7- 10 for us?

In surah 7 ayyats 1-10 form the complete thought. This Surah was revealed shortly before Muhammad(saaws)'s death. Exact date is not known except that it compliments Surah 6 both came during the same period which was during the last year of Muhammad(saaws)'s life.
the basic message of both surah was an invitation to accept Islam along with a warning we will one day face judgement day.

In Surat 7 is an invitation to accept the Qur'an and a warning as to what will happen to the unprepared at judgement day.

This is my own opinion based pretty much upon the Tafsir and commentary of various scholars suchasibn Kathir and Sayed Maududi. Primarily Maududi. Like all opinions I may be in error Astagfirullah
Maududi's commentary can be read here.
Syed Maududi's Commentary for Surah #7

To read ayyats 1-10 here is Asad's translation. I find Asad to be much closer to modern English than most other Translations.

7:1 (Asad) Alif. Lam. Mim. [1]

7:2 (Asad) A DIVINE WRIT has been bestowed from on high upon thee -and let there be no doubt about this in thy heart-in order that thou mayest warn [the erring] thereby, and [thus] admonish the believers: [2]

7:3 (Asad) "Follow what has been sent down unto you by your Sustainer, and follow no masters other than Him. [3] How seldom do you keep this in mind!

7:4 (Asad) And how many a [rebellious] community have We destroyed, with Our punishment coming upon it by night, or while they were resting at noontide! [4]

7:5 (Asad) And when Our punishment came upon them, they had nothing to say for themselves, and could only cry, [5] "Verily, we were wrongdoers!"

7:6 (Asad) Thus, [on Judgment Day] We shall most certainly call to account all those unto whom a [divine] message was sent, and We shall most certainly call to account the message-bearers [themselves]; [6]

7:7 (Asad) and thereupon We shall most certainly reveal unto them Our knowledge [of their doings]: [7] for never have We been absent [from them].

7:8 (Asad) And true will be the weighing on that Day; and those whose weight [of good deeds] is heavy in the balance -it is they, they who shall attain to a happy state;

7:9 (Asad) whereas those whose weight is light in the balance - it is they who will have squandered their own selves by their wilful rejection of Our messages. [8]

7:10 (Asad) YEA, INDEED, [O men,] We have given you a [bountiful] place on earth, and appointed thereon means of livelihood for you: [yet] how seldom are you grateful!

Looking at just ayyats 7-10

I believe it is a statement that the same message was given many times through all the prophets (PBUT) and those who have deliberately denied it will face the consequences on judgement day. That again is my opinion and others may have different opinions.t

No advertising, no copyrighted material, no personal attacks

MODERATOR OF: Buddhism: Judaism: Paganism:

When in doubt read the TOS MOD LIST FAQ's

Old 02-25-2015, 10:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenapple View Post
The knowledge/truth was sent down to him, but he didn't write it down himself - his followers pieced it together. Or am I looking at something different?
You are correct, but not complete. there is more to it than that.
Muhammad(saaws) was illiterate, but he had an very good memory.
Most of the Surah were not revealed at a single time, many of them were revealed in parts over an extended time probably a year or more in the case of Surat 2.
Neither did Muhammad(saaws) speak any of them just once. Over the 22 years the Qur'an was being revealed Numerous people have written what he hat said, Memorized what he said or both.
The primary source of preservation and transmission has always been the recitation of those who memorized it and that continues until today.
Currently at least 25% of the world's Muslms are Hafiz, possibly more. In the past the percentage was much higher as every Muslim sought to be a Hafiz. Every Hafiz recites the exact same words no matter what country they live in.
The primary transmission of the Qr'an is oral as recited by the Hafiz. The written Qur'an is simply a crutch for those too lazy or too hard headed to memorize it.

Old 02-26-2015, 04:21 PM

436 posts, read 325,287 times
Thanks, Woodrow. Very informative, as usual.

I know the ideal is to recite in Arabic, but is there value in memorizing in other languages if people do not know Arabic? Are there even official translations? I know there are many variations into English, for example.

Old 02-26-2015, 05:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenapple View Post
Thanks, Woodrow. Very informative, as usual.

I know the ideal is to recite in Arabic, but is there value in memorizing in other languages if people do not know Arabic? Are there even official translations? I know there are many variations into English, for example.
I do not know of any value in Memorizing it in any language outside the Qur'anic Arabic. Exept for personal reasons.
It is actually easier to memorize in Quranic Arabic than any other laguage because of the song like qualities.
The Qur'an is divided into 30 near equal parts each called a Juz, Most hafiz first learn Juz 30 and then learn the others in their own choice of order. The Qur'an has a small vocabulary derive from about 2,000 root words. If a person learns Juz 30 they will understand at least 85% of any other Juz. When translated into English you get about 18-20,000 different root words and no pattern or rhythm

There is no "Official" Translation, but the more recent a Translation is the more accurat it will be in terms of contemporary english.
I tell people to look at 3 or more different translations for a better understanding

Old 02-26-2015, 08:42 PM

Atheist blogger murdered in Bangladesh.

American atheist blogger hacked to death in Bangladesh | World news | The Guardian

Old 02-26-2015, 08:46 PM

Daesh destroy ancient historical artifacts in Mosul.

BBC News - Islamic State 'destroys ancient Iraq statues in Mosul'

Old 02-27-2015, 01:39 AM

115 posts, read 172,745 times
Here's a really good video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?list=P...&v=zvLrSCZC3aU

Old 02-27-2015, 06:08 AM

4,456 posts, read 3,703,267 times
Re: destroying ancient historical artifacts in Mosul

After all the centuries and millenia, what the elements and war haven't done it appears all it takes are sledgehammers allied with extremist ideology to destroy the products of a great Mesopotamian civilization in a few minutes. A great tragedy for the world since it removes objects going back to its roots. Those objects are irreplaceable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Islam
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or