U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Islam
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 05-07-2015, 12:33 PM
 
Location: Logan Township, Minnesota
15,511 posts, read 13,276,969 times
Reputation: 7407

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tzaphkiel View Post
And your thought, speech, action are saying "not a big deal"
let the violence, the brutality, the horrific cult of violence continue unstopped, unchecked, uncriticized

you are giving your approval by your very membership in the organization
you are a member of this group, and you agree with what they do and what they stand for
period

This is the mindset that regarding the Holocaust shrugs and says "not a big deal"
Far from ir. I see it as a very big deal. I see ISIS as being my enemy as much as it is your enemy.

I do not delude my self, I know full well I would be killed intantly by ISIS, the Taliban and al Qaed I also know some of my views would get me thrown in Jail in Saudi Arabia and Iran.

But I do not see radical governments in a part of the world that contains less then 20% of the world's Muslims as being representative of Islam.

I believe I am far more likely to be killed by a Radical Christian than by a Radical Muslim as long as I live in the USA.
Which happens to be the Nation I was born in and fought for in Vietnam. I do have some political views that the Wasicu consider to be anti-America, But they are related to Native American alliance not Islam. I am an avid supporter of AIM (American Indian Movement) and do want to see the recognition of the RoL (Republic of Lakota) as a sovereign Nation as what was promised in the "Treaty of Laramie"
__________________
When posting as a MOD my posts will be in red

No advertising, no copyrighted material, no personal attacks


MODERATOR OF: Buddhism: Judaism: Paganism:

When in doubt read the TOS MOD LIST FAQ's

 
Old 05-07-2015, 06:43 PM
 
Location: Candy Kingdom
3,228 posts, read 2,852,836 times
Reputation: 5187
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodrow LI View Post
I think that is something many of us reverts face.
When I accepted Islam Iwas living in a Texas county that had a zero Muslim population. Right smack in the middle of the Bible belt.

More than one friend told me I had best not make it Known I was Muslim the Town would Lynch me. They had no problem accepting me while I was an Atheist activist, but to be Muslim was tantamount of asking to be lynched.

Later when I moved to Austin and lived in a nearly 50% Muslim community My Muslim friends urged me not to dress Sunnah as they feared I would be killed.

While I lived in Texas I did find Austin to be the most tolerant of Muslims, However some Muslims in Austin are not Mid-Eastern I came across quite a few Hispanic Muslims along with a fair sampling of Chinese and Filipino Muslims.
Perhaps that has helped Austinites realize Muslims come in a very wide range of flavors. But I did discover that more often people thought I was Jewish and not Muslim.
It really is sad. I've never been to Austin, but I could see it being one of the few places in Texas that would be tolerant. I've never been to Texas too. I know when I was in college, I was seen as someone who was strange - why would a white young lady revert? I find Islam peaceful. There were some hard moments, but as I said to you many of times... I think it was just everything going on at that time.

Speaking of Islam, sometimes I fear the impact of knowing Arabic. I know some. I follow a band originally from Iraq and they are now American citizen. I bought one of their shirts and I;m not sure if I should wear it in public:


(Front... along with the CD)


(Back)

I'm not sure. I would love to wear it as a day shirt instead of a night shirt to wear only at home... but I'm not sure what the reaction would be.
 
Old 05-08-2015, 12:56 PM
 
622 posts, read 417,980 times
Reputation: 556
What puts my back up more than anything is the subjugation of women in Islamic countries. I find it totally abhorrent to force a girl or a woman to wear a full length gown with just a slit for the eyes or a piece of fabric with a few holes in it to see through as can be seen in the opening image of this BBC News video: Afghanistan forces defend Kunduz from Taliban - BBC News

When I see things like that, I want to eradicate Islam from the face of the Earth. People don't even treat animals like that in the West.

Also, a woman's body won't develop properly if she doesn't get enough vitamin D especially with regard to bone development. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vitamin_D
 
Old 05-08-2015, 02:27 PM
 
Location: Logan Township, Minnesota
15,511 posts, read 13,276,969 times
Reputation: 7407
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xircal View Post
What puts my back up more than anything is the subjugation of women in Islamic countries. I find it totally abhorrent to force a girl or a woman to wear a full length gown with just a slit for the eyes or a piece of fabric with a few holes in it to see through as can be seen in the opening image of this BBC News video: Afghanistan forces defend Kunduz from Taliban - BBC News

When I see things like that, I want to eradicate Islam from the face of the Earth. People don't even treat animals like that in the West.

Also, a woman's body won't develop properly if she doesn't get enough vitamin D especially with regard to bone development. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vitamin_D
There are several different issues here. While women and men are to dress modestly when in public or the presence of people that are not the same gender and not close relatives. It need not be the Burks or similar. The Full covering of Women in Mideastern nations is a very ancient tradition and followed by women of many different religions.
The clothing in nearly all nations follows traditional styles with slight modification if needed to adhere to modesty requirements.
There is nothing in the Qur'an. Ahadith or Fiqh ul-Sunnah that gives men the authority to force woman to dress in any particular manner.
As for equality Islam actually requires women to get as much education as they can. education is mandatory for both men and women.Currently in the Mideast Nations female college graduates out number the males.
Every Islamic Nation has ha or currently has a Female Ruler
Women are permitted to work outside the home-However women have no responsibility fo Household expenses, that is the Husband's responsibility even if the wife has the higher income.
Woman can be clergy in Islam some of the most famous Islamic scholars were women. Women can have a Mosque and be the Imam, however a man is not permitted to pray behing a woman.
Many probably mosts Mosques in China are owned by women and have woman Imams.
__________________
When posting as a MOD my posts will be in red

No advertising, no copyrighted material, no personal attacks


MODERATOR OF: Buddhism: Judaism: Paganism:

When in doubt read the TOS MOD LIST FAQ's
 
Old 05-08-2015, 08:46 PM
 
40,043 posts, read 26,725,598 times
Reputation: 6048
Default Why is Islam so violent?

The question should be why is the perception of Islam so violent and the answer is that is what is reported in the media. The media is fundamentally meretricious and inflammatory. For the average viewer their ONLY knowledge or exposure to Islam is of these violent fanatic whackjobs and their vocal followers. Wood does an excellent job here trying to ameliorate the image of Islam. I am most grateful to him for my enlightenment about it. But it is woefully inadequate and something MUST be done to curb these violent animals . . . and I use that term advisedly. The problem is they are largely unreachable morons who believe absolute absurdities and take offense at everything. There is a homegrown industry within the madrassas that are literally breeding hatred and a death cult population to be exploited for political gains. Short of a eugenics campaign and reverse holocaust . . . I see little chance of stopping these crazy bastards anytime soon. The world needs to come to grips with this realization sooner rather than later. We had a small taste of the pernicious problems fanaticism can wreak with the Nazi youth and the Kamikazes. The world almost didn't survive it. We make a huge mistake thinking this ignorant, moronic fanaticism is somehow different.
 
Old 05-08-2015, 10:23 PM
 
Location: Logan Township, Minnesota
15,511 posts, read 13,276,969 times
Reputation: 7407
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
The question should be why is the perception of Islam so violent and the answer is that is what is reported in the media. The media is fundamentally meretricious and inflammatory. For the average viewer their ONLY knowledge or exposure to Islam is of these violent fanatic whackjobs and their vocal followers. Wood does an excellent job here trying to ameliorate the image of Islam. I am most grateful to him for my enlightenment about it. But it is woefully inadequate and something MUST be done to curb these violent animals . . . and I use that term advisedly. The problem is they are largely unreachable morons who believe absolute absurdities and take offense at everything. There is a homegrown industry within the madrassas that are literally breeding hatred and a death cult population to be exploited for political gains. Short of a eugenics campaign and reverse holocaust . . . I see little chance of stopping these crazy bastards anytime soon. The world needs to come to grips with this realization sooner rather than later. We had a small taste of the pernicious problems fanaticism can wreak with the Nazi youth and the Kamikazes. The world almost didn't survive it. We make a huge mistake thinking this ignorant, moronic fanaticism is somehow different.
It is quite a can of worms that got opened sometime between 1900 and 2000. Hard to put a finger on an exact date but we can identify events that contributed to it. None being a direct cause but all having and enabling factor. Not in chronological order:
The formation of Nations and national bounderies where there previously where none
The fall of the Ottoman empire
the conquest of the Arabian peninsula by the al-Saud family
The end of the Nomadic life style of the Bedouins
The formation of the Palestinian Mandate
the collapse and end of the Pahlavi rule of the Shahs in Persia and the formation of Iran
The formation of Israel and the migration of the Ashkenazim from Europe.
The rise of Saddam
the spread of Wahabbi
The formation of the 12er sect of Shi'ism and the rise of the Ayatollah
The discovery of oil and instant wealth to the al-Saud family
The invasion of Afghanistan by Russia
The partition of India and the formation of Pakistan

A few of the map changes in the Mideast from1900 to present might serve as a visual aid










continued next post
__________________
When posting as a MOD my posts will be in red

No advertising, no copyrighted material, no personal attacks


MODERATOR OF: Buddhism: Judaism: Paganism:

When in doubt read the TOS MOD LIST FAQ's
 
Old 05-08-2015, 10:36 PM
 
Location: Logan Township, Minnesota
15,511 posts, read 13,276,969 times
Reputation: 7407
A quick analysis
Over the past 115 years there has been constant changes of government. Often violent. Things that have suffered
Stability
Education
safety
personal wealth
loss of homelands
local rule
Couple that with foreign intervention and nearly 50 years of war and you have a very lost and confused population seeking some form of identity and self determination. Fanatical, extreme religious adherence seems to be the only hope and the extremists like Wahabbi'ism and ISIS are filling that need.
__________________
When posting as a MOD my posts will be in red

No advertising, no copyrighted material, no personal attacks


MODERATOR OF: Buddhism: Judaism: Paganism:

When in doubt read the TOS MOD LIST FAQ's
 
Old 05-09-2015, 04:14 AM
 
622 posts, read 417,980 times
Reputation: 556
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodrow LI View Post
There are several different issues here. While women and men are to dress modestly when in public or the presence of people that are not the same gender and not close relatives. It need not be the Burks or similar. The Full covering of Women in Mideastern nations is a very ancient tradition and followed by women of many different religions.
The clothing in nearly all nations follows traditional styles with slight modification if needed to adhere to modesty requirements.
That's all very well, but it only applies to women doesn't it? Or at least I've never seen men wearing a full length gown covering every part of their bodies including their eyes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodrow LI View Post
There is nothing in the Qur'an. Ahadith or Fiqh ul-Sunnah that gives men the authority to force woman to dress in any particular manner.
Not true: Taliban treatment of women - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodrow LI View Post
As for equality Islam actually requires women to get as much education as they can. education is mandatory for both men and women.Currently in the Mideast Nations female college graduates out number the males.
Also incorrect: Husband chops off wife's fingers to stop her studying for a degree | Daily Mail Online
 
Old 05-09-2015, 04:22 AM
 
Location: Australia
106 posts, read 71,941 times
Reputation: 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by zenapple View Post
The knowledge/truth was sent down to him, but he didn't write it down himself - his followers pieced it together. Or am I looking at something different?
Simply I don't care what the origins of that text are, they're obscene no matter their origin.
 
Old 05-09-2015, 01:56 PM
 
Location: Candy Kingdom
3,228 posts, read 2,852,836 times
Reputation: 5187
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodrow LI View Post
It is quite a can of worms that got opened sometime between 1900 and 2000. Hard to put a finger on an exact date but we can identify events that contributed to it. None being a direct cause but all having and enabling factor. Not in chronological order:
The formation of Nations and national bounderies where there previously where none
The fall of the Ottoman empire
the conquest of the Arabian peninsula by the al-Saud family
The end of the Nomadic life style of the Bedouins
The formation of the Palestinian Mandate
the collapse and end of the Pahlavi rule of the Shahs in Persia and the formation of Iran
The formation of Israel and the migration of the Ashkenazim from Europe.
The rise of Saddam
the spread of Wahabbi
The formation of the 12er sect of Shi'ism and the rise of the Ayatollah
The discovery of oil and instant wealth to the al-Saud family
The invasion of Afghanistan by Russia
The partition of India and the formation of Pakistan

A few of the map changes in the Mideast from1900 to present might serve as a visual aid










continued next post
Were you ever a teacher or professor? Woodrow, LI, you have wonderful posts and I agree with everything you have said. History, colonialism, the fall of empires, new regimes, etc. have all contributed to things. These things don't come out of thin air - it's a century (or more) in the making.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Islam
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top