U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Islam
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-12-2015, 02:12 PM

2,371 posts, read 1,500,940 times

Advertisements

Isn't the separation of men and women incongruous - regressive in the 21st century?

Old 07-12-2015, 02:25 PM

15,511 posts, read 13,274,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by modernist1 View Post
Isn't the separation of men and women incongruous - regressive in the 21st century?
Salat is not for socialization. It is for deep prayer. As we do stand barefoot with feet touching it can be a bit distracting for men and women to be touching bare feet.

There is no show to watch. We do not even look at the Imam our attention is fixed on the Qiblah and the spot on our prayer rug where our foreheads will touch.

It is not a show, exhibition or entertainment. Our thoughts are to be completly focused on our prayer.

What would be attained by having male/female mixed during Salat? Or better yet why would a Muslim desire to? we are to do our best to not notice who we are next to.

No advertising, no copyrighted material, no personal attacks

MODERATOR OF: Buddhism: Judaism: Paganism:

When in doubt read the TOS MOD LIST FAQ's

Old 07-12-2015, 02:56 PM

10,202 posts, read 6,085,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodrow LI View Post
What would be attained by having male/female mixed during Salat? Or better yet why would a Muslim desire to? we are to do our best to not notice who we are next to.
You're intimating that all females are Jezebels, just like some Christian and Jewish sects do. You are further suggesting that Muslim men cannot control lustful thoughts. Yes I know, you didn't say it, but reading between the lines there is little else that can be deduced from your comments.

There are many instances where I am in mixed company, and no lustful hought crosses my mind. I'm not sure why if you are involved in the enthralls of a religious experience, that you would even think, or that your religion would even think, that's such an occurrence may happen.

Old 07-12-2015, 02:58 PM

As to what goes on in a mosque This is what you will see nearly always in the Majority of Mosques. Salat, no preaching, sermons or preaching. Just 5 to 20 minute of salat depending on what Surah the Imam chooses to recite during each Rakkat

Old 07-12-2015, 04:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cupper3 View Post
You're intimating that all females are Jezebels, just like some Christian and Jewish sects do. You are further suggesting that Muslim men cannot control lustful thoughts. Yes I know, you didn't say it, but reading between the lines there is little else that can be deduced from your comments.

There are many instances where I am in mixed company, and no lustful hought crosses my mind. I'm not sure why if you are involved in the enthralls of a religious experience, that you would even think, or that your religion would even think, that's such an occurrence may happen.
I am stating that Salat is not a social function. There is no conersation during salat. That can be done after of before Salat. During Salat our intentions are to be focused completely upon Salat and our intentions. On the other side, during Hajj in Mecca men and women are together . but the pilgramege will last 4-5 days not the 5 to 20 minutes salat takes.also there is no obligation to do salat in a Mosque. However men are required to pray in community once a week. It is forbidden to keep women out of a Mosqque, but they have no obligation to pray in one.

An interesting picture of Hajj

Old 07-12-2015, 10:23 PM

3,440 posts, read 1,581,295 times
Quote:
There are few Imams that even give any type of sermon. I have no problems with the radicals being identified and made known to the public.

Imams are not ordained clergy nor appointed by any Islamic Hierarchy. Mosques are often financed by the Imam and his family. While there is no way to stop any one from opening a Mosque and being the Imam. We Muslims can step in if they are violating any laws. All Muslims are obligated to abide by the laws ot the nation we live in.

We are obligated to not pray behind a person who is not knowledgeable in Islam.

If an Imam's Kutbahs are not predominatly about the needs of the local community. We should question that imam's knowledge of Islam and consider praying elsewhere.

-
Again, your views are too narrow here. Do you know what is exactly going on in every nations where there are Muslims? I have read much news about them and the UK expose is only one example.

Woodrow: We Muslims can step in if they are violating any laws. All Muslims are obligated to abide by the laws ot the nation we live in.
This is not practical in all countries where there are Muslims.

It is not only mosques where the brainwashed clergy and 'experts' spread their evil campaigns. There are the Madrasahs, group meetings, at home and exposure to all sorts of medias.

There are hundreds of video clips in youtube and elsewhere showing how very young children are brainwashed by the brainwashed elders;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iT-ueFGnJz8

Old 07-13-2015, 03:25 AM

226 posts, read 123,560 times
Quote:
My point being that Islamic violence is no more prevelant than any other violence.
When it comes to religious terrorism, Islam seems to be more violent than other religions at least at this stage in history:

4 Sunni Muslim Groups Responsible for 66% of All 17,958 Terror Killings in 2013

November 19, 2014

By Patrick Goodenough

(CNSNews.com) – The number of people killed by terrorists worldwide in 2013 rose by 60 percent compared to the previous year – from 11,133 to 17,958 – with four Sunni Muslim extremist groups responsible for two-thirds of all fatalities, according to a comprehensive annual study.

Eighty-two percent of fatalities occurred in just five countries – Iraq, Afghanistan, Pakistan, Nigeria and Syria, although the number of countries that experienced more than 50 terror-related deaths also rose – to 24, compared with 15 the previous year.

Among the many findings in the new Global Terrorism Index, a project of the nonprofit Institute for Economics and Peace, is one that calls into question claims that poverty is a key driver of terrorism.

“One of the most important findings in this report is that there is not a strong statistical link between poverty and terrorism,” it says. “Many people who join terrorist groups in wealthy countries are well educated and come from middle class families.”

Old 07-13-2015, 03:39 AM

What about something like the "Lord's Resistance Army"?

To my knowledge, they have zero or virtually zero support in the wider Christian world. You don't get any Western Christians going to blow themselves up for them, or fundraising for them. Neither is there any 'ideological support' for their agenda in the wider Christian world except at a very very limited level.

Last edited by TheProcess; 07-13-2015 at 03:59 AM..

Old 07-13-2015, 03:45 AM

Quote:
It is also arguable that the Qur'an, Ahadith, Sunnah and Sira do not suppoert violence.
But that doesn't change my point-- you still have a problem with the religion if there is an arguable case for violence.

Quote:
It really does take reading out of context to come to the conclusion they support violence.
Firstly, anyone can throw out a claim that things are being "taken out of context". If that was so obviously the case here, then I guess all those Muslim jurists and theologians down the centuries must have been idiots to think that Islam taught violence!

At the very least, there is an arguable case for Islam being a violent religion. And that's enough to create a problem with it.

Last edited by TheProcess; 07-13-2015 at 04:01 AM..

Old 07-13-2015, 08:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheProcess View Post
When it comes to religious terrorism, Islam seems to be more violent than other religions at least at this stage in history:

November 19, 2014

By Patrick Goodenough

(CNSNews.com) – The number of people killed by terrorists worldwide in 2013 rose by 60 percent compared to the previous year – from 11,133 to 17,958 – with four Sunni Muslim extremist groups responsible for two-thirds of all fatalities, according to a comprehensive annual study.

Eighty-two percent of fatalities occurred in just five countries – Iraq, Afghanistan, Pakistan, Nigeria and Syria, although the number of countries that experienced more than 50 terror-related deaths also rose – to 24, compared with 15 the previous year.

Among the many findings in the new Global Terrorism Index, a project of the nonprofit Institute for Economics and Peace, is one that calls into question claims that poverty is a key driver of terrorism.

“One of the most important findings in this report is that there is not a strong statistical link between poverty and terrorism,” it says. “Many people who join terrorist groups in wealthy countries are well educated and come from middle class families.”
Here is the problem-- You are not looking at all killings, just what gets labelled "Terror Killlings" in 2012 14,827 people were murdered last year in the United States, We have over 14,000 murders every year in 24,526 in 1993 SOURCE That is the USA alone--Not the total of murders in all non-Muslim Nations.

Those people are just as dead as the ones killed in a "Terror Attack" they are just as violent. And that is in the USA alone.

The fact is if a Muslim does it it is considered a Terror attack, if any ones else does it it is murder which is much more civilized and less violent--- the media would like you to believe.

The Non Muslim countries are much more violent then the Muslim nations but they do not get called terrorism. Which is what the hate groups point at-not the total violent deaths.

Yes the terrorism rate is highest in Muslim nations, simply because all violence in them is labelled "Terrorism" but if one looks at violent death from all causes not just terrorism the Islamic nations are among the lowest rates.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Islam
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or