U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Islam
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-16-2015, 10:40 AM

15,511 posts, read 13,274,304 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashleynj View Post
True, it is just an empty shell so it makes it even more okay to get rid of their bodies like a piece of trash.
Not quite. We believe we should even treat the bodies of our enemies with respect. It is not up to us to judge, even the most vile person could have repented before their final breath

No advertising, no copyrighted material, no personal attacks

MODERATOR OF: Buddhism: Judaism: Paganism:

When in doubt read the TOS MOD LIST FAQ's
Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2015, 11:01 AM

1,728 posts, read 1,331,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodrow LI View Post
Not quite. We believe we should even treat the bodies of our enemies with respect. It is not up to us to judge, even the most vile person could have repented before their final breath
You're a better person than I am in this regard, because I can not. For example the guy who abducted 3 girls and kept them for 10 years in his house and tortured them (that Castro guy in Ohio), I will never be able to say that someone like that deserves any respect at all. My mother always told me to have compassion for every single person, but I can't do that when it comes to evil, and I learned that evil people exist for real after knowing a true sociopath.

Old 01-16-2015, 11:16 AM

21,353 posts, read 24,084,481 times
Quote:
True, it is just an empty shell so it makes it even more okay to get rid of their bodies like a piece of trash.
The body is not the problem. The bigger problem is when streets are dedicated in their names for their acts of terrorism. When areas/buildings are dedicated in their names for their acts of terrorism. When there are yearly remembrances in their names for their acts of terrorism. etc.

Old 01-16-2015, 11:31 AM

569 posts, read 540,607 times
Quote:
Moderator cut: orphaned respose

Not only do I believe that terrorists should not get a Muslim funeral, I also think that the Muslim religious leaders should announce that anyone that commits such an act is NOT a real Muslim, and that the Muslim community will throw out (excommunicate) anyone that is found to be involved in terrorism in any way.
How can they denounce what is commanded by their God and prophet? everyone should read the Koran so they can see for themselves the real essence of this religion. And for those that don't follow the teachings of the Koran, are THEY true Muslims?

Old 01-16-2015, 11:32 AM

9,871 posts, read 8,162,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodrow LI View Post
Tell that to the former US Ambassador to Libya, the Marines shot down in Africa, and the victims who were beheaded and their heads used as trophies or soccer balls to be kicked around.

Old 01-16-2015, 01:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mistoftime View Post
How can they denounce what is commanded by their God and prophet? everyone should read the Koran so they can see for themselves the real essence of this religion. And for those that don't follow the teachings of the Koran, are THEY true Muslims?
To be fair Christians do not follow the Bible 100 percent. Some Christians say that they believe the bible is fact and take it literally, but if they really did then would they not be doing some bad things too (and also not doing some things that they do)? I don't think you need to follow a book in order to be a true Christian or a true Muslim. I think it is okay and even necessary at times to pick and choose what you want to take literally and follow, and hopefully people choose the good things from those books.

I have heard that the Bible does not instruct people to go out and kill like the Koran does, but I am not sure if that is totally correct because I have read neither on my own (I have read some of the Bible and heard it read in church). Jesus does seem to be a more peaceful dude though than Muhammad from all the stuff I've read.

I have posted this quote before but will do so again because I think it is important:

“It is forbidden for religious behavior to compromise a personal, natural, moral sensibility. If it does, our fear of heaven is no longer pure. An indication of its purity is that our nature and moral sense becomes more exalted as a consequence of religious inspiration. But if these opposites occur, then the moral character of the individual or group is dismissed by religious observance, and we have certainly been mistaken in our faith.”

source: Voices of Faith: Rabbi: No need to fight reason while embracing faith

Old 01-16-2015, 02:15 PM

I just read this and I had no idea that the Quran does not say to kill people that insult your god, so why have I heard from people that supposedly know these books that it does? I give up trying to understand any religion, haha.

The only source in Islamic law that all Muslims accept indisputably is the Quran. And, conspicuously, the Quran decrees no earthly punishment for blasphemy — or for apostasy (abandonment or renunciation of the faith), a related concept. Nor, for that matter, does the Quran command stoning, female circumcision or a ban on fine arts. All these doctrinal innovations, as it were, were brought into the literature of Islam as medieval scholars interpreted it, according to the norms of their time and milieu.

One of the earliest “blasphemers” in Islam was the pious scholar Ghaylan al-Dimashqi, who was executed in the 8th century by the Umayyad Empire. His main “heresy” was to insist that rulers did not have the right to regard their power as “a gift of God,” and that they had to be aware of their responsibility to the people.

Before all that politically motivated expansion and toughening of Shariah, though, the Quran told early Muslims, who routinely faced the mockery of their faith by pagans: “God has told you in the Book that when you hear God’s revelations disbelieved in and mocked at, do not sit with them until they enter into some other discourse; surely then you would be like them.”

Just “do not sit with them” — that is the response the Quran suggests for mockery. Not violence. Not even censorship.

source: Islam
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Islam
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or