Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Islam
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-19-2017, 07:27 PM

5,155 posts, read 4,620,948 times

Advertisements

Hi,

This might be such a weird question, but I want to ask. I've always learned that Muslims are supposed to be buried in a day after death. My question comes from the circumstances of last week's fire at Grenfell Tower. I donated to the funeral of the Syrian refugee that perished in the fire. I'm assuming he wasn't buried in a day because his friend was asking for money for the funeral and to get the visas to bring his parents from Syria. Are there any circumstances where it'd be permissible to wait longer than a day?

I'm still sad about Grenfell Tower.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2017, 01:17 AM

3,640 posts, read 41,086 times
There is no rigid "in a day" requirement.

It is preferable for the deceased to be buried as soon as possible. Which means, no time should be wasted to bury the deceased. In the case of those who died in the Tower Block, it was not possible before the remains were available for the burial.

Old 06-20-2017, 03:30 AM

That makes sense, Khalif. Thank you.

One other question for you. I remember when my grandma was still alive, she had a problem with cremation because to her cremation seemed against the Catholic ritual since the body should be whole when it is buried. Does Islam have a similar ruling? Is cremation permissible?

I hope this doesn't seem morbid. Just curiosity.

Old 06-20-2017, 01:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessxwrites89 View Post
That makes sense, Khalif. Thank you.

One other question for you. I remember when my grandma was still alive, she had a problem with cremation because to her cremation seemed against the Catholic ritual since the body should be whole when it is buried. Does Islam have a similar ruling? Is cremation permissible?

I hope this doesn't seem morbid. Just curiosity.
Thank you for your question.

There is no precedent for cremation in Islam. Only burying the body is mentioned in the Qur'aan. This practice began very early in the history of mankind when one son of Adam had killed the other son (his brother)

[5.31] Then Allah sent a crow digging up the earth so that he might show him how he should cover the dead body of his brother. He said: Woe me! Do I lack the strength that I should be like this crow and cover the dead body of my brother? So he became of those who regret.

Cremation was invented much later in the history of mankind and it is not the practice of Muslims or a practice approved by Allah.

Old 06-20-2017, 01:59 PM

Thanks, Khalif. Similar to what Nan was saying about Catholicism.

When I first reverted, Nan wanted to learn more about Islam. I gave her some books and she learned that my beliefs aren't radically different to how she raised me. Nan was very open minded, though.

Thank you for answering my questions.

Old 06-20-2017, 05:39 PM

19,024 posts, read 27,585,087 times
I think, rigidity of Islamic laws is grossly overstated. Or, over believed into.
I have reasonable number of Muslim patients and, due to nature of my work, their standard concern was - how I'll be able to pray as I have to kneel down etc.
This usually over taxed what i can do for the patients but, then one of them went and talked to imam and. to his surprise, was informed that Allah absolutely will not be offended or opposed to him praying in position, justified by his condition. So they set up chair for him in mosque and it was all good.
ever since, I always told my Muslim patients with similar concerns to go and talk to their spiritual leaders about them and it always was very accommodatingly and positively resolved.
Allah is merciful. Not cruel.

Old 06-21-2017, 02:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ukrkoz View Post
I think, rigidity of Islamic laws is grossly overstated. Or, over believed into.
Absolutely correct!

There are Islamic laws and there are Islamic principles. These are subject to the guidance in the Qur'aan. Each single guidance in the Qur'aan must be taken into account to understand the Islamic laws and Islamic principles. When people fail to do that, they make mistakes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ukrkoz View Post
I have reasonable number of Muslim patients and, due to nature of my work, their standard concern was - how I'll be able to pray as I have to kneel down etc.
This usually over taxed what i can do for the patients but, then one of them went and talked to imam and. to his surprise, was informed that Allah absolutely will not be offended or opposed to him praying in position, justified by his condition. So they set up chair for him in mosque and it was all good.
ever since, I always told my Muslim patients with similar concerns to go and talk to their spiritual leaders about them and it always was very accommodatingly and positively resolved.
Allah is merciful. Not cruel.
The most important reason we pray is that it keeps us away from doing evil acts. Therefore, the essential thing to do is stay away from doing evil acts rather than pray or pray in a certain position. One can pray even flat on one's back if that is the only position possible for any individual. Allah does not ask us to bear any burden that we can't bear.

Praying, fasting, giving in charity and travelling for hajj are not for any other purpose than for a human being to train to become better human being in terms of conduct. Humanity is at the heart of religion but many have gone astray and failed to understand this most important aspect of religion.

Old 06-23-2017, 03:37 PM

The person running the Go Fund Me for Mohammed posted pictures of the ceremony. It made me cry. What exactly are the funeral prayers?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Islam