Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Islam
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2015, 04:52 PM

2,416 posts, read 2,023,324 times

Advertisements

I demand that I be exempt from parking restrictions on Wednesdays because I'm a mocker.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2015, 05:37 PM

2,826 posts, read 2,367,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePage View Post
Why continue to draw cartoons of Mohamed when Muslims say this way of doing things is offensive to their faith? I mean some crazy folks are just engaging in unnecessary provocation always making fun of other people's race or religion.
If discussion of religion is not allowed, you have a despotism. That includes discussing things that may be offensive to the religion in question. This is precisely why Christianity does not call itself the final word of God, and refuse alternate translations, or try to kill people who make fun of Christianity.

Old 01-14-2015, 07:00 PM

723 posts, read 806,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashleynj View Post
There is this pretty awesome thing called freedom. Freedom allows people to say things without the fear of getting killed, or at least that is how it should be in a civilized society. Hey, if you want to live somewhere that bans free speech then I am sure you can still find a country like that to move to.
Sorry to let you know that you are referring to absolute freedom which is idealistic in a society that is civilized. Moreover a civilized society means a society where people are wise enough to understand that their freedom stops where other people's dignity starts.
If freedom were that "awesome thing" why don't you go in public and have sex like dogs in the United states? You might well end up being in an ambulance ! BTW is it legal for people to come on TV today in this country and negate the holocaust?
I think those who dream of absolute freedom like you are the ones who should rather find a planet other than Earth because absolute freedom does not exist here.

Last edited by ThePage; 01-14-2015 at 07:12 PM..

Old 01-14-2015, 07:01 PM

21,020 posts, read 19,379,197 times
Quote:
Why continue to draw cartoons of Mohamed when Muslims say this way of doing things is offensive to their faith? I mean some crazy folks are just engaging in unnecessary provocation always making fun of other people's race or religion.
Well, and my point I forget to say is, I'm all for freedom of speech, naturally
...but there is common sense....
as in the common sense o
f not mocking a leader of fanatics that carry AK-15s and like to
travel to your business and shoot everyone
it is something ya just swallow and say...ya know,
I'm going to practice some respect and restrain.

But, saying this makes people angry...it is common sense honoring
another's beliefs; to not make fun of what they hold dear.

Plus, we know they are unstable ...I mean who believes in Mohammad, come on!

Kidding

Old 01-14-2015, 07:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bulmabriefs144 View Post
If discussion of religion is not allowed, you have a despotism. That includes discussing things that may be offensive to the religion in question. This is precisely why Christianity does not call itself the final word of God, and refuse alternate translations, or try to kill people who make fun of Christianity.
Freedom and wisdom are not mutually exclusive.
And I've been a christian for 40 years, still I do not see any right for any so-called free person to give himself that freedom to mock the core values of others when he is told that this way of doing thing is offensive. If freedom is what many of you guys think then there won't be any sin , there won't be any right, any wrong. You could even have that right to run the red light and stop at the green light.

Old 01-14-2015, 07:21 PM

1,714 posts, read 1,760,123 times
Quote:
Sorry to let you know that you are referring to absolute freedom which is idealistic in a society that is civilized. Moreover a civilized society means a society where people are wise enough to understand that their freedom stops where other people's dignity starts.
If freedom were that "awesome thing" why don't you go in public and have sex like dogs in the United states? You might well end up being in an ambulance ! BTW is it legal for people to come on TV today in this country and negate the holocaust?
I think those who dream of absolute freedom like you are the ones who should rather find a planet other than Earth because absolute freedom does not exist here.
There are laws of course, you know laws like you can't go around killing people simply because they said something you didn't like. Luckily there is no law that prevents us from mocking religion and government. Thank GOD.

Why would I end up in an ambulance if I were to have sex in public? haha!

Yes, it is legal in the US to deny the Holocaust. Why do you ask? It is also legal to deny the Holocaust in Muslim countries as well.

Old 01-14-2015, 08:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashleynj View Post
There are laws of course, you know laws like you can't go around killing people simply because they said something you didn't like. Luckily there is no law that prevents us from mocking religion and government. Thank GOD.

Why would I end up in an ambulance if I were to have sex in public? haha!

Yes, it is legal in the US to deny the Holocaust. Why do you ask? It is also legal to deny the Holocaust in Muslim countries as well.
I wouldn't "dance" like you guys with gun toting radical jihadists who care less when it comes to killing (in the name of their God). Don't we already have enough trouble with our elected officials who want to raise taxes every year?

Old 01-15-2015, 03:44 AM

2,416 posts, read 2,023,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bulmabriefs144 View Post
Well, that's right, freedom of speech is the cornerstone of democracy. Perhaps one reason so many Muslims prefer to live in the West can be attributed to the same. Western secular democracy may be flawed, but it's arguably better than most of the alternatives.

Old 01-15-2015, 04:09 AM

17,620 posts, read 17,665,401 times
1. I'm not Muslim therefore Islamic laws do not apply to myself. Don't try to apply Islamic laws to non-Muslim people with the exception of nations who've written Islamic laws into state laws. Last time I checked, USA & France are not Islamic countries.
2. Plenty of cartoonist, comedians, books, and films have made fun or were insulting of other religions including Christianity, Judaism, Hinduism, & Bhudism. But only Muslims react with murder. The problem isn't the offense against Islam. The problem is the offenses committed in the name of Islam.

If western society caves in to the demands of Islamic terrorist in this, then western society will have given them greater power and they'll continue until they have what they've always wanted, a world wide Islamic state. Their actions makes me want to go out and buy a Quran and burn it on video posted online along with the prayer rug I got in Turkey. Where was this sentiment when artist was putting a Christian crucifix in a jar of urine and making a religious statue out of dung? Christians protested but no one was killed. I dare this "artist" to put a Quran in a jar of urine and make a statue of Muhammad out of dung.

Old 01-15-2015, 06:35 AM

5,553 posts, read 8,004,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by victimofGM View Post
1. I'm not Muslim therefore Islamic laws do not apply to myself. Don't try to apply Islamic laws to non-Muslim people with the exception of nations who've written Islamic laws into state laws. Last time I checked, USA & France are not Islamic countries.
2. Plenty of cartoonist, comedians, books, and films have made fun or were insulting of other religions including Christianity, Judaism, Hinduism, & Bhudism. But only Muslims react with murder. The problem isn't the offense against Islam. The problem is the offenses committed in the name of Islam.

If western society caves in to the demands of Islamic terrorist in this, then western society will have given them greater power and they'll continue until they have what they've always wanted, a world wide Islamic state. Their actions makes me want to go out and buy a Quran and burn it on video posted online along with the prayer rug I got in Turkey. Where was this sentiment when artist was putting a Christian crucifix in a jar of urine and making a religious statue out of dung? Christians protested but no one was killed. I dare this "artist" to put a Quran in a jar of urine and make a statue of Muhammad out of dung.
Gotta use those last two sentences in the Blasphemy threat next door.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Islam