Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Islam
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2015, 06:34 PM

723 posts, read 801,891 times

Advertisements

Why continue to draw cartoons of Mohamed when Muslims say this way of doing things is offensive to their faith? I mean some crazy folks are just engaging in unnecessary provocation always making fun of other people's race or religion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2015, 07:03 PM

1,114 posts, read 2,110,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePage View Post
Why continue to draw cartoons of Mohamed when Muslims say this way of doing things is offensive to their faith? I mean some crazy folks are just engaging in unnecessary provocation always making fun of other people's race or religion.
Do you realize that offense is an emotion that no one can force on you?
No words or drawings can cause offense. It wells up inside you. You are the one in control of your emotions. Or at least you should be.

Do think it is ok to kill someone else just because you get upset at what they write or draw?

Old 01-12-2015, 07:13 PM

21,020 posts, read 19,214,293 times
It is offensive to mock another's loved one...be it a book, a religion, a mother,
a leader...what EVER!

When people stop being in a juvenile mentality of:
'I want to be able to say anything I want, nanana-na'....the world will mature a
a bit, and rid itself of another layer of ego.

Old 01-12-2015, 07:22 PM

1,114 posts, read 2,110,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Hepburn View Post
It is offensive to mock another's loved one...be it a book, a religion, a mother,
a leader...what EVER!

When people stop being in a juvenile mentality of:
'I want to be able to say anything I want, nanana-na'....the world will mature a
a bit, and rid itself of another layer of ego.
Oh your mother wears army boots.

Old 01-12-2015, 07:25 PM

1,714 posts, read 1,749,123 times
Quote:
I certainly hope you are not suggesting that the people who were murdered are somehow to blame for what happened.

There is this pretty awesome thing called freedom. Freedom allows people to say things without the fear of getting killed, or at least that is how it should be in a civilized society. Hey, if you want to live somewhere that bans free speech then I am sure you can still find a country like that to move to.

It would be one thing if people went to people's worship places and started saying things about their religious figures and started handing out offensive materials. Sure, that would be rude. People don't do that though.

Old 01-12-2015, 07:26 PM

430 posts, read 478,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Hepburn View Post
a leader...what EVER!
of course it is! the bible mocks jews and the quran mocks both jews and christians. and yet both are protected by our laws. dont you just love it? or should we ban those offensive books?

Old 01-12-2015, 07:53 PM

7,308 posts, read 14,610,835 times
Quote:
When will the liberals and atheists in the USA quit making fun of Mormons, Catholics, Baptists, Jews, Lutherans, Presbyterians and every other religion in our country? Right now there is a Broadway play that is touring the country called "The Book of Mormon" this is offensive to many Mormons. Where is your outrage over that?

Old 01-12-2015, 09:10 PM

5,553 posts, read 7,973,785 times
There is one huge elephant in the room that I keep seeing. I mean, I don't go out of my way to look for jokes about Jesus or other religious figures, but every now and again, one comes across my FB page that makes me laugh. I laugh because, at least to me, I realize that some of these religious figures are mythical or have stories surrounding them that are either fabricated or embellished. To me, it is like poking fun at the FSM (Flying Spaghetti Monster).

Now, what I am getting at is that I have NO idea how the apparent hallucinations of a man, 1,400 years ago, became something so revered and sacrosanct to the point where even a snicker would be considered sacrilegious, disrespectful, and in some places, worthy of death. It is akin to noticing the king has no clothes on and laughing and the humor you find in the spectacle warrants your death.

Of course, I could also take the path of empathy and consider that Muhammad was mentally sick and prone to what we would call hallucinations today, but to say that Muhammad was essentially crazy would be the same as laughing at him and probably anger a Muslim also so you can't laugh and if you find laughing as being insensitive, you don't dare see that a sick individual started a religion based on his own alleged subjective experiences that billions have bought in to or I should say, a few bought in to and then billions after were BORN in to (the religion, that is).

Granted, the man brought about a revolution within his people's ancient religious beliefs, unifying them and other regions under ONE banner (like Constantine did with Christianity and the Yahwehists did among the Jews) because, in the end, it makes business sense and it helps to build and maintain empires. Whether or not that is what he set out to do is doubtful, but it is what happened. Still, is is just odd to me that what Muhammad was able to do 1,400 years ago would be laughed at today (well, in many places). A man hanging out in a cave and then coming to town to tell people an angel spoke to him and told him to tell the masses something would be scoffed at, but then again, folks sit in church each week to hear a man or woman liberally use the expression: "the lord spoke to me/my heart and blah blah blah."

Old 01-13-2015, 01:32 PM

13,413 posts, read 4,770,740 times
Quote:
We all should agree that it is rude to mock another person's religion. It is rude when atheists do it to Christians, it is rude when Christians do it to Mormons, and it was rude when Sony did it to North Koreans. People take their religion very personally, and will often be offended when it is mocked.

The proper response when someone mocks you, for any reason, is either 1) ignore them completely, or 2) respond with a rational argument. Going on a homicidal rampage is completely disproportionate.

Old 01-13-2015, 01:46 PM

430 posts, read 478,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo58 View Post
We all should agree that it is rude to mock another person's religion. It is rude when atheists do it to Christians, it is rude when Christians do it to Mormons, and it was rude when Sony did it to North Koreans. People take their religion very personally, and will often be offended when it is mocked.

The proper response when someone mocks you, for any reason, is either 1) ignore them completely, or 2) respond with a rational argument. Going on a homicidal rampage is completely disproportionate.

Moses mocked the pharoah and his priests.
Jesus mocked the pharisees.
Mohammad mocked the pagans.

Mocking is a holy endeavor and should be protected by law.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Islam