U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Islam
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2015, 11:53 AM

15,511 posts, read 13,302,730 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forum Registration View Post
Clean yourself with dirt and rocks, you must be joking.
Have you ever gone camping in the desert? One has to use what ever is available. Keep in mind The Arabian Desert is one of the largest deserts and the harshest. Water sources are very few and far apart, On foot water sources are any where from a day to 2 weeks journey apart.

Yes you can clean your self with rocks, sand and pebbles. In the desert your choices where to either not clean your self or use pebbles, rocks and sand

The Hadith is a witness's observation that Muhammad(saaws) chose to clean himself.

This is not a command we are to use them to clean our self.

No advertising, no copyrighted material, no personal attacks

MODERATOR OF: Buddhism: Judaism: Paganism:

When in doubt read the TOS MOD LIST FAQ's
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2015, 01:38 PM

115 posts, read 173,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodrow LI View Post
Have you ever gone camping in the desert? One has to use what ever is available. Keep in mind The Arabian Desert is one of the largest deserts and the harshest. Water sources are very few and far apart, On foot water sources are any where from a day to 2 weeks journey apart.

Yes you can clean your self with rocks, sand and pebbles. In the desert your choices where to either not clean your self or use pebbles, rocks and sand

The Hadith is a witness's observation that Muhammad(saaws) chose to clean himself.

This is not a command we are to use them to clean our self.
I understand that it's not a commandment.

I have been camping in the desert, I think the longest was 3 days but I never ran out of water.

I guess I've never been so dirty that I thought rubbing more dirt on me would make me cleaner.

What I mean is it seems like those things would just make it worse.

I wonder why it said to wipe an odd number of times as opposed to an even number. By that logic 1 wipe is better that 2.

Also you are not supposed to hold your penis with your right hand when you pee.

Why? Does that apply to both right handed and left handed people?

Does holding your penis with your left hand bring you closer to allah?

Old 02-14-2015, 03:29 PM

Quote:
I understand that it's not a commandment.

I have been camping in the desert, I think the longest was 3 days but I never ran out of water.

I guess I've never been so dirty that I thought rubbing more dirt on me would make me cleaner.

What I mean is it seems like those things would just make it worse.

I wonder why it said to wipe an odd number of times as opposed to an even number. By that logic 1 wipe is better that 2.

Also you are not supposed to hold your penis with your right hand when you pee.

Why? Does that apply to both right handed and left handed people?

Does holding your penis with your left hand bring you closer to allah?
I been in both the Saharah and Arabian deserts. Never been over a days walk in either, Farthest I ever dared going on foot. Quite difficult to carry more than a 2 day supply of water. Have to keep in mind during the life time of Muhammad they were often in the desert for over 2 weeks at a time.

At that time there were only about 4 permanent cities on the Arabian penisula. The 2 closest ones being Mecca and Madinah which were about 300 miles apart with no water in between. About a 10 day journey on foot or camel.

You couldn't carry much water. Just enough to last the journey. You made do with what you had.

you used your left hand for doing nasty tasks and the right hand for things like eating' Needless to say you wanted to avoid touching a person's left hand. This is more of a piratical not religious reason for people to do specific tasks with specific hands.Keep in mind eating utensils were not used. World wide eating utensils did not really come into use until about the 11th century and even then most people in the world ate with their hands until about the 1700s

As for the reason for the preference of doing thing an odd number of times comes from the Arabic names of the numbers.The names of the odd numbers all have good conotations for example the number 9 (T'zood) also means he prospers.

Last edited by Woodrow LI; 02-14-2015 at 05:38 PM..

Old 02-14-2015, 05:45 PM

As an after thought clean dry sand is an excellent way to clean your hands when water is not available. The Arabian desert has an ample supply of clean dry sand.

Old 02-14-2015, 08:11 PM

115 posts, read 173,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodrow LI View Post
you used your left hand for doing nasty tasks and the right hand for things like eating' Needless to say you wanted to avoid touching a person's left hand. This is more of a piratical not religious reason for people to do specific tasks with specific hands.Keep in mind eating utensils were not used. World wide eating utensils did not really come into use until about the 11th century and even then most people in the world ate with their hands until about the 1700s
This actually makes sense. What water you do have you would need to stay alive and so washing with it would be a waste and actually life threatening.

The number thing sounds like numerology or superstition.

Thanks.

Old 02-14-2015, 11:57 PM

Quote:
This actually makes sense. What water you do have you would need to stay alive and so washing with it would be a waste and actually life threatening.

The number thing sounds like numerology or superstition.

Thanks.
The name of the numbers predate the Qur'an. Hard to tell the hows and whys of the numbers got their names. However numerology is forbidden in Islam so I suspect that at one time numerology was a big thing among the Arabs.

Trying to explain Sunnah would take quite a bit of time.

But To explain Islam in the simplest terms. Islam is not doing that which is forbidden in the Qur'an and to live a life as close as possible to the way Muhammad(saaws) did.

The things Muhammad(saaws) and his companions did or said are the sunnah. There are 5 levels of responsibility in following sunnah

1. That which is required to be done, there will be a punishment either in this life or the hereafter if one fails to do them

2. That which is not an obligation to do, but it is desired to do. That means trying to do things the way Muhammad(saaws) did things during his life. That is nearly everything related in the Ahadith (Ahadith is the plural of Hadith)

3. Neutral-- nothing gained or lost for doing or not doing--That is nearly everything in day to day living

4. That which there is no harm in doing, but it is discouraged to do,

5. That which is forbidden to do, if you knowingly and deliberately do them there will be a punishment.

One of the major issues about Wahabbi that you see today and results in the extremism you see among some Muslims is Wahab did away with the levels of responsibility and placed things into just 2 categories -- obligated or forbidden. Nothing in between.

Last edited by Woodrow LI; 02-15-2015 at 12:07 AM..

Old 02-15-2015, 12:10 AM

13,994 posts, read 10,942,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarioKart View Post
As a convert from Christianity?
Strap on a suicide vest and hit detonate. That's how they seem to be doing it these days.

Old 02-15-2015, 08:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ambient View Post
Strap on a suicide vest and hit detonate. That's how they seem to be doing it these days.
Suicide is forbidden.
The suicide bombers have either deceived them selves or allowed others to deceive them.

They are not going to be greeted by 72 Virgins in Paradice
They are not going to guarantee heaven for their friends and families
They are not going to see Paradise
It is a ticket to Hell fire
They are not Martyrs and their unIslamic act casts doubt on them even being Muslims

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Islam
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or