U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Islam
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 01-28-2015, 10:17 PM
 
723 posts, read 652,587 times
Reputation: 392

Advertisements

Michelle Obama face blurred out In Saudi Arabia.
Are you shocked? I mean we have got to understand people traditions when go to their country, don't we?
ISIS Praises Saudi Media for Blurring Out Michelle Obama’s Naked Face | The Gateway Pundit
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 01-28-2015, 10:49 PM
 
Location: Logan Township, Minnesota
15,511 posts, read 13,297,298 times
Reputation: 7407
Saudi does not allow the showing of any woman's face in Saudi Arabia.
The same would have been done in the Saudi media regarding any women.

What does this have to do with Islam. this is the law of Saudi. Like all Nations Saudi is an independent entity and represents no nation except it self.
__________________
When posting as a MOD my posts will be in red

No advertising, no copyrighted material, no personal attacks


MODERATOR OF: Buddhism: Judaism: Paganism:

When in doubt read the TOS MOD LIST FAQ's
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-29-2015, 04:30 AM
 
Location: San Francisco
2,371 posts, read 1,504,757 times
Reputation: 3870
I suppose the hijab and niqab have nothing to do with Islam.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-29-2015, 05:52 AM
 
Location: Logan Township, Minnesota
15,511 posts, read 13,297,298 times
Reputation: 7407
Quote:
Originally Posted by modernist1 View Post
I suppose the hijab and niqab have nothing to do with Islam.
The hijab and niqab while presently pretty much representative of Islam are also used by some, Druze, Yazidi, Jews, Christians, and other religions
The blocking out of women in photographs seems to be unique to Saudi.
__________________
When posting as a MOD my posts will be in red

No advertising, no copyrighted material, no personal attacks


MODERATOR OF: Buddhism: Judaism: Paganism:

When in doubt read the TOS MOD LIST FAQ's
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-29-2015, 06:04 AM
 
3,404 posts, read 2,252,501 times
Reputation: 1315
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodrow LI View Post
The hijab and niqab while presently pretty much representative of Islam are also used by some, Druze, Yazidi, Jews, Christians, and other religions
The blocking out of women in photographs seems to be unique to Saudi.
Or Orthodox Jewish newspapers...

I don't particularly appreciate the Saudi government's rigidity on these sorts of things, but what do you expect from a nation that was steeped in a specific brand of fundamentalism from its founding? There are plenty of other Islamic nations that don't go to these extremes, so clearly this is not an Islam issue, but a Saudi Arabian issue.

-NoCapo
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-29-2015, 08:44 AM
 
Location: Sitting beside Walden Pond
4,609 posts, read 4,116,499 times
Reputation: 1399
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePage View Post
Michelle Obama face blurred out In Saudi Arabia.
Are you shocked?
Not at all.

I didn't see the picture with her face blurred out, but if that is all they did then they are at least acknowledging that she was there. People from other religions remove all of the women from pictures before publishing them.

See this discussion in the Judaism forum:

Ultra-Orthodox Jewish newspaper removes all women out of Paris solidarity march photograph
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-29-2015, 11:07 AM
 
Location: Logan Township, Minnesota
15,511 posts, read 13,297,298 times
Reputation: 7407
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoCapo View Post
Or Orthodox Jewish newspapers...

I don't particularly appreciate the Saudi government's rigidity on these sorts of things, but what do you expect from a nation that was steeped in a specific brand of fundamentalism from its founding? There are plenty of other Islamic nations that don't go to these extremes, so clearly this is not an Islam issue, but a Saudi Arabian issue.

-NoCapo

This is a good place to make note that the KSA (Kingdom of Saudi Arabia) is a fairly new country coming to be in 1932.
Mecca and Medina were in the nation of Hijaz until it was conqured by the al-Saud family.
In the early 1800s the al-Saud family was exiled from Hijaz and Najd for heresy because of their Wahabbi beliefs.
Here is a Timeline to the KSA
BBC News - Saudi Arabia profile - Timeline

Everyone can decide on their own if the al-Saud family represents Islam.
__________________
When posting as a MOD my posts will be in red

No advertising, no copyrighted material, no personal attacks


MODERATOR OF: Buddhism: Judaism: Paganism:

When in doubt read the TOS MOD LIST FAQ's
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-29-2015, 11:29 AM
 
3,404 posts, read 2,252,501 times
Reputation: 1315
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodrow LI View Post
This is a good place to make note that the KSA (Kingdom of Saudi Arabia) is a fairly new country coming to be in 1932.
Mecca and Medina were in the nation of Hijaz until it was conqured by the al-Saud family.
In the early 1800s the al-Saud family was exiled from Hijaz and Najd for heresy because of their Wahabbi beliefs.
Here is a Timeline to the KSA
BBC News - Saudi Arabia profile - Timeline

Everyone can decide on their own if the al-Saud family represents Islam.
Precisely! The House of Saud has been linked by ideology and marriage to the descendents of Al Wahhab, the founder of the Wahabbi form of Islam. Saudi Arabia is not representative of an Islamic culture per se, but rather a Wahhabi culture, tempered by the political necessities of maintaining an authoritarian dynasty as absolute monarchs. To argue that Saudi Arabia is the stardard by which Islamic culture must be judged is simply wrongheaded.

-NoCapo
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-30-2015, 01:34 AM
 
Location: Eretz Yisrael
21,372 posts, read 24,132,268 times
Reputation: 8869
Why hold up Michelle Obama to one standard, while woman in the past who visited Saudi Arabia were not?

Quote:
Hillary Rodham Clinton covered her head in Eritrea, the West Bank and Pakistan, but did not in Saudi Arabia.
Quote:
When Bush traveled to Saudi Arabia as first lady in 2007, she went bareheaded in public almost the entire time.
For first ladies, dress decisions require a primer on political protocol | Dallas Morning News
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-30-2015, 02:38 PM
 
723 posts, read 652,587 times
Reputation: 392
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoCapo View Post
Precisely! The House of Saud has been linked by ideology and marriage to the descendents of Al Wahhab, the founder of the Wahabbi form of Islam. Saudi Arabia is not representative of an Islamic culture per se, but rather a Wahhabi culture, tempered by the political necessities of maintaining an authoritarian dynasty as absolute monarchs. To argue that Saudi Arabia is the stardard by which Islamic culture must be judged is simply wrongheaded.

-NoCapo
Mecca is in Saudi Arabia, and the Saudi have a huge influence in the Muslim world, that is one reason why people would tend to refer to this country when comes to Islam. But make no mistake, whenever any Muslim country or any group of Muslims act ,people will generalize from a sample to the whole population of Muslims.This way of judging others does not only apply to Muslims, it happens on issues other than religion for instance between Blacks and Whites, between Mexicans and Whites.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Islam
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top