Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Islam
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2015, 04:03 PM

15,501 posts, read 17,078,401 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forum Registration View Post
I'm starting to think that it's Woodrow and his small group who is misinterpreting the Quran and it's ISIS and the rest of the Muslim world that truly understand Islam.
While no Muslim is to state their interpretation is the correct one, I believe quite a few have very similar views as I have.

I did not develop my views on my own. In my non-Muslim years I would have agreed with nearly all if not all of what you have posted.

My first year as a Muslim I followed the Sufi path. Extremly passive and very similar to Buddhism, but I disagreed very much with the veneration of Saints and the mindless repetitive Chanting of dhiker. I have now been studying the Hanafi Madhab for about 9 years and that has basically shaped my concepts of Islam. About 30% of the world's Sunni follow the Hanafi madhab. Because of the acceptance of local traditions and local needs Hanafi will vary from community to community. There are 5 sources of guidance for the Hanafi Madhabb in the order of importance

Qur'an
Sunnah
Consensus of Scholars
Local needs
Local tradition

The Hanafi Madhab is the most flexible and most adaptable to changes. I feel it is the Madhab for an American Muslim to follow.

I have also learned that about the only thing any 2 Muslim are in agreement with are the 5 Pillars of Faith.

Islam is not a spoon fed religion. If one goes beyond listening to local scholars a new Muslim will soon discover that Islam is all about personal responsibility. It is our own responsibility to learn about Islam from every available source. No one is going to teach us how to perform Islam we alone have to search and verify. First lesson is to never accept the words of any Islamic teacher without personally verifying them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2015, 05:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken S. View Post
In other words there is no true Muslim nation or region since most Muslims are completely misinterpreting the Koran.
To a large extent I agree with you. Islam is not a religion in the sense of say Christianity is as it is not an organization, it is a personal commitment and action.

Islam is an Arabic verb meaning "Submitting to Allah" It is an action.
A Muslim is a person who does the action of Islam

Our religion is everything we do in life. The Arabic word Dunya translates into English as Religion and as life. There is no separation between life and religion. How a person lives their life is their religion.

Now how we worship can have a label
I worship as a Sunni in accordance with the Hanafi Madhab
Most Saudis worship as Sunni in accordance with the Hanbali Madhab
Most Iranians worship as Shi'ite in accordance with Jafa'ari Mahab.
But we are all Muslims as we are performing the action of Islam.

Old 02-23-2015, 05:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken S. View Post
If that's the case why would it still be in the Koran? You may not have a few Muslim friends who don't interpret it as a "stand alone statement" but there are hundreds of million of Muslims who have and still are being told to memorize the Koran and not contextualize what is written because every single word is holy and should not be questioned.
We can and do question how the Qur'an is interpreted. There is no "Official Correct" interpretation
What we do not question or alter are the words of the Qur'an being the exact words of God.
Every Muslim will agree that

بِسْمِ اللّهِ الرَّحْمـَنِ الرَّحِيمِ

الْحَمْدُ للّهِ رَبِّ الْعَالَمِينَ

الرَّحْمـنِ الرَّحِيمِ

مَـالِكِ يَوْمِ الدِّينِ

إِيَّاكَ نَعْبُدُ وإِيَّاكَ نَسْتَعِينُ

اهدِنَــــا الصِّرَاطَ المُستَقِيمَ

رَاطَ الَّذِينَ أَنعَمتَ عَلَيهِمْ غَيرِ المَغضُوبِ عَلَيهِمْ وَلاَ الضَّالِّينَ

are the exact words as spoken by Allaah in Surah al-Fatihah, but we may disagree over what they mean

Old 03-04-2015, 11:40 AM

430 posts, read 481,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodrow LI View Post
I do not know why they hate Muslims so much. While they have killed many non-Muslims they have killed way more Muslims. It is like the have formed their own religion and are out to destroy every one who disagrees with them.

because those ISIS thugs are really jews in disquise? kidding.

its because they see many muslims as hypocrites.

Munafiq - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
In Islam, a munāfiq (n., in Arabic: منافق, plural munāfiqūn) is a hypocrite who outwardly practices Islam while inwardly concealing his disbelief (kufr), perhaps even unknowingly.[citation needed] The hypocrisy itself is called nifāq (Arabic: نفاق‎).
The Quran has hundreds of ayat (verses) discussing munāfiqūn,[1] referring to them as more dangerous to Muslims than the worst non-Muslim enemies of Islam
And of course they dont consider the Shias as muslims.

makes sense, right?

Last edited by sophion; 03-04-2015 at 12:16 PM..

Old 03-04-2015, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sophion View Post
because those ISIS thugs are really jews in disquise? kidding.

its because they see many muslims as hypocrites.

Munafiq - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
In Islam, a munāfiq (n., in Arabic: منافق, plural munāfiqūn) is a hypocrite who outwardly practices Islam while inwardly concealing his disbelief (kufr), perhaps even unknowingly.[citation needed] The hypocrisy itself is called nifāq (Arabic: نفاق‎).
The Quran has hundreds of ayat (verses) discussing munāfiqūn,[1] referring to them as more dangerous to Muslims than the worst non-Muslim enemies of Islam
And of course they dont consider the Shias as muslims.

makes sense, right?
The issue is who are the munāfiq?

Old 03-04-2015, 01:08 PM

Quote:
The issue is who are the munāfiq?

no offense woodrow, but i think the extremist would count you as one.

Old 03-04-2015, 01:24 PM

Quote:
no offense woodrow, but i think the extremist would count you as one.
No doubt about it.
But I have lots of company if you notice how many Muslims that have been killed by Wahabbis, Salafis and ISIS.
We are more likely to be killed by a Radical than a non-Muslim is.

Old 03-04-2015, 01:27 PM

Quote:
No doubt about it.
But I have lots of company if you notice how many Muslims that have been killed by Wahabbis, Salafis and ISIS.
We are more likely to be killed by a Radical than a non-Muslim is.

so what is a munafiq?
for the extremist, its any muslim who does not agree with their extreme interpretation of islam.

Old 03-04-2015, 02:40 PM

Quote:
so what is a munafiq?
for the extremist, its any muslim who does not agree with their extreme interpretation of islam.
Also an extremist is the one most likely to call a Muslim a munafiq. The rest of us generally accept any one who claims to be Muslim is a Muslim and doing the best they can in accordance with their abilities and knowledge.

Old 03-04-2015, 07:32 PM

28,097 posts, read 29,963,441 times
Quote:
Islam is not a spoon fed religion. If one goes beyond listening to local scholars a new Muslim will soon discover that Islam is all about personal responsibility. It is our own responsibility to learn about Islam from every available source. No one is going to teach us how to perform Islam we alone have to search and verify. First lesson is to never accept the words of any Islamic teacher without personally verifying them.
And this is what I admire most about Islam.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Islam