U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Islam
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2015, 02:24 PM

646 posts, read 349,209 times

Advertisements

Thanks, Woodrow!

I'd still be interested in my original question (naturally, if you think that you feel qulified to answer). Do you think most Muslims in the United States support the death penalty in cases such as mentioned in the link in Saudi Arabia? Or, maybe they just don't care b/c it is far away?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2015, 02:34 PM

15,511 posts, read 13,377,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliksder View Post
I am almost absolutely clueless about Islam.

I wonder: Do Muslims who do not live in Saudi-Arabia or any other country where this is practiced agree with people being killed because they renounce their faith? I would imagine that they do not. Am I wrong?

Thanks!

Many probably most Islamic nations have either outlawed capital punishment for any crimes or have never made it part of their legal system.
but as far as executing Apostates I think the only ones done under a Court ruling in a Modern day Islamic Nation has been Saudi. Iran has sentenced many apostates to death but have never carried one out.
As for "Honor Killings" of apostates they are quite common in Pakistan and India. In pakistan usually By Muslims of Punjab heritage and in India by Sikh and Hindu of Punjab ancestry.

ISIS which seems to follow an extreme form of Wahabbi'ism seem to be finding reason to execute any one who is not a member of ISIS. They do pose a danger to all people Muslim and non-Muslim.

No advertising, no copyrighted material, no personal attacks

MODERATOR OF: Buddhism: Judaism: Paganism:

When in doubt read the TOS MOD LIST FAQ's

Last edited by Woodrow LI; 02-24-2015 at 02:46 PM..

Old 02-24-2015, 02:42 PM

115 posts, read 174,541 times
You can take a piece of dog poop and coat it in sugar but it's still dog poop.

Looks better now, huh?

Here, you wanna bite?

Old 02-24-2015, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Thanks, Woodrow!

I'd still be interested in my original question (naturally, if you think that you feel qulified to answer). Do you think most Muslims in the United States support the death penalty in cases such as mentioned in the link in Saudi Arabia? Or, maybe they just don't care b/c it is far away?
Can only speak regarding American Muslims I personally know which will be a some (Sufi) in New Jersy, Fargo (Sunni from Palestine) Western North Dakota and Western South Dakota which for the most part are Native Americans that follow the Sunni path, Dallas and Austin Texas which are motly sunni from Pakistan and Shi'ite from Morocco and Saudi.
Everyone I personally know opposes the death penalty for any reason.

Old 02-24-2015, 05:58 PM

6,553 posts, read 3,306,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by victimofGM View Post
Saudi Arabia court gives death penalty to man who renounced his Muslim faith - Telegraph

So, if you renounce the religion of peace, you end up in pieces. Great religion,...not.
That seems more like an issue with the Saudi courts, does it not?

Old 02-24-2015, 07:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDusty View Post
That seems more like an issue with the Saudi courts, does it not?

Which is what it is

Old 02-27-2015, 10:24 AM

646 posts, read 349,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodrow LI View Post
Can only speak regarding American Muslims I personally know which will be a some (Sufi) in New Jersy, Fargo (Sunni from Palestine) Western North Dakota and Western South Dakota which for the most part are Native Americans that follow the Sunni path, Dallas and Austin Texas which are motly sunni from Pakistan and Shi'ite from Morocco and Saudi.
Everyone I personally know opposes the death penalty for any reason.
And is this in tune with what the Quran says or do they and you just ignore passages that support the death penalty for renouncing Islam? Or, is it up to some sort of interpretation?

I am really just curious; no harm intended.

Old 02-27-2015, 02:00 PM

Quote:
And is this in tune with what the Quran says or do they and you just ignore passages that support the death penalty for renouncing Islam? Or, is it up to some sort of interpretation?

I am really just curious; no harm intended.
I do not take any ayyats as being a stand alone command. I do my best to reat a minimum of 9 to 10 lines and put them in the context of the full Surat.

There is nothing in the Qur'an that commands the killing of apostates simply because they are apostates.

A person who has it in their heart and desire to do evil can find justification in almost any book to do so if they quote a single line without reference to the topic. this is called reverse engineering. Have a desired conclusion and then search for a means to justify it. Even if it means quoting a single line or in many cases truncating and quoting part of a line.

by truncating I can say the new testament commands stoning of an adulteress.

Quote:
John 8:7 And as they continued to ask him, he stood up and said to them,
you be the first to throw a stone at her.
Those words are right there in the
New American Standard Bible in clear black and white, so what if I left out a few words.

That is the type or logic I find people use when they say the Qur'an commands the killing of Apostates.

Old 03-04-2015, 07:21 AM

430 posts, read 354,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodrow LI View Post
When the al-Saud Family conquered Hijaz and Najd in 1929 they formed the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia and replaced Islam with Wahhabi'sm
so when are muslims gonna start protesting that?

Old 03-04-2015, 08:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sophion View Post
so when are muslims gonna start protesting that?

The protesting of it began before 1929. But the al-Saud Family is still richer than any Muslim Nation. Hard to fight big money.

Egypt went so far as having the death penalty for any one trying to introduce Wahabbi'ism/ Salafi'ism into Egypt which led to the current mess in Egypt.

But over all it seems most of us don't give a flip over what Saudi does as long as they do not mess with the 5 days of Hajj which occur on the 9-14 Hajj this year that will correspond with Sept 20-25
The vast majority of us never had and never will have any contact with the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia. Logistically it is only possible for about 2,000,000 Muslims to make the Hajj each year. Which means only 1 out of every 2,000 Muslims will ever make the Hajj.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Islam
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or