Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Islam
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-24-2015, 04:43 PM

5,155 posts, read 4,621,613 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone,

I sadly underwent a traumatic experience in November 2013 and after a year and a half of being too afraid to do anything about not sleeping, anxiety, etc. I've been reading up on PTSD. I know I will need therapy at some point, but I've been thinking about spirituality/faith in healing. I really don't want to go through the medication route again (I used to take psych meds way before things happened... never again, it was awful), and would rather go through talk therapy and a faith/spiritual based healing.

I work for a library and borrowed a book on PTSD. They did talk about faith communities with healing, but they didn't really talk much about the Islamic approach. I was sad that the book only gave a brief blurb of "although we can't speak for Muslims, their approach to healing PTSD is a community approach, much like other Christians and Jews." It was vague because the book talked mostly about medications. Can anyone expand upon that?

I'm just at a point where I want to get back to some sort of normalcy. I do think therapy would be good, but like I said... I don't want to go through those medications again. I've just been thinking about faith and spirituality again.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2015, 07:03 PM

15,501 posts, read 17,075,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jessxwrites89 View Post
Hi everyone,

I sadly underwent a traumatic experience in November 2013 and after a year and a half of being too afraid to do anything about not sleeping, anxiety, etc. I've been reading up on PTSD. I know I will need therapy at some point, but I've been thinking about spirituality/faith in healing. I really don't want to go through the medication route again (I used to take psych meds way before things happened... never again, it was awful), and would rather go through talk therapy and a faith/spiritual based healing.

I work for a library and borrowed a book on PTSD. They did talk about faith communities with healing, but they didn't really talk much about the Islamic approach. I was sad that the book only gave a brief blurb of "although we can't speak for Muslims, their approach to healing PTSD is a community approach, much like other Christians and Jews." It was vague because the book talked mostly about medications. Can anyone expand upon that?

I'm just at a point where I want to get back to some sort of normalcy. I do think therapy would be good, but like I said... I don't want to go through those medications again. I've just been thinking about faith and spirituality again.
I too am a PTSD sufferer. Viet Nam related;

Like many Muslims in the USA I do not live near any Islamic Communities. My nearest Muslim neighbor is over 100 miles from me.

However, Islam does discourage the use of any mind altering Medications if other choices are abailable. I found that attending support groups works best for me and reading or listening to the Qur'an.

Performing the 5 daily Salah is also very beneficial.

Keep in mind a Masjid is not a medical facility. Many things in this dunya will require us to pray for the strength to face that which we can not control. Islam does not discourage using medical help, doctors are in our life to help us. The first step in prayer is to do for our self as much as we can and that includes seeking help from professionals.

Let your Dr know that you are adverse to medical treatment and you would like to try peer group sessions.

Old 05-24-2015, 07:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodrow LI View Post
I too am a PTSD sufferer. Viet Nam related;

Like many Muslims in the USA I do not live near any Islamic Communities. My nearest Muslim neighbor is over 100 miles from me.

However, Islam does discourage the use of any mind altering Medications if other choices are abailable. I found that attending support groups works best for me and reading or listening to the Qur'an.

Performing the 5 daily Salah is also very beneficial.

Keep in mind a Masjid is not a medical facility. Many things in this dunya will require us to pray for the strength to face that which we can not control. Islam does not discourage using medical help, doctors are in our life to help us. The first step in prayer is to do for our self as much as we can and that includes seeking help from professionals.

Let your Dr know that you are adverse to medical treatment and you would like to try peer group sessions.
Thanks for your reply, Woodrow. That makes a lot of sense. I was misdiagnosed as bipolar (I have hypothyroidism and I think a lot of the issues were hypothyroid related) and those medications I was on for a few years literally hurt me. Now that I am off of those medications, my thyroid is healing (though it's hereditary and it's a chronic condition) as much as it can, and I feel better - or at least better considering what happened.

I will have to check out the recitations online. I read the Qu'ran, but I love listening to it. It just makes me feel so good inside and it's so beautiful when it's read. I've been praying too - I have found that really helps as well. I have found that it has always helped.

Old 05-24-2015, 08:35 PM

Quote:
Thanks for your reply, Woodrow. That makes a lot of sense. I was misdiagnosed as bipolar (I have hypothyroidism and I think a lot of the issues were hypothyroid related) and those medications I was on for a few years literally hurt me. Now that I am off of those medications, my thyroid is healing (though it's hereditary and it's a chronic condition) as much as it can, and I feel better - or at least better considering what happened.

I will have to check out the recitations online. I read the Qu'ran, but I love listening to it. It just makes me feel so good inside and it's so beautiful when it's read. I've been praying too - I have found that really helps as well. I have found that it has always helped.
In this forum in the sticky threads at the top one is called Group Study of the Qur'an. In it you will find each Surah singulary and in the Juz. Each of the 30 Jus is there complete. For most of them I chose the recitation by Gamdi

Old 05-25-2015, 05:09 AM

Wonderful, thank you, Woodrow LI. That also answered another question I had: are there group studies that are similar to Bible studies that Christians do. Very helpful.

Old 05-25-2015, 05:57 AM

Quote:
Wonderful, thank you, Woodrow LI. That also answered another question I had: are there group studies that are similar to Bible studies that Christians do. Very helpful.
all of that will depend upon the local community. There are no ordained clergy in Islam. There is no central agency that builds mosques and assigns Imams. Everything is done local by the local Muslims.

Large Muslim communities can offer a lot to new Muslims to those of us in rural areas far from any Muslim community requires a lot of searching and asking questions of every Muslim we meet.

Old 05-25-2015, 08:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodrow LI View Post
all of that will depend upon the local community. There are no ordained clergy in Islam. There is no central agency that builds mosques and assigns Imams. Everything is done local by the local Muslims.

Large Muslim communities can offer a lot to new Muslims to those of us in rural areas far from any Muslim community requires a lot of searching and asking questions of every Muslim we meet.
That makes sense too. Where I live, there isn't a big community of any faith. They even closed many churches here. My dad is a Christmas-Easter Catholic (he is mostly spiritual now and is accepting of any faith) and only went to church on those two holidays (mom is an atheist and doesn't accept any faith) and now he just doesn't go because they closed the Church he went to. I know the Jewish community is small and it's even bleaker for Islam here.

When Nan (grandma) was still alive, she accepted my decision. I don't drive and she drove me over 20 minutes to take me to Friday prayer. It wasn't on a bus route. I usually do things on my own and I'm glad you have things stickied here.

Old 05-25-2015, 10:44 PM

6,115 posts, read 3,087,421 times
Verily, in the remembrance of Allah do hearts find rest (Quran 13:28)

Peacefully recite the following 500 times everyday for a month, and see what happens to you.

Laa hawla wa laa quwwata illa Billaah

(watch a youtube videos if you want to know how it's pronounced.

Old 05-26-2015, 04:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoCardinals View Post
Verily, in the remembrance of Allah do hearts find rest (Quran 13:28)

Peacefully recite the following 500 times everyday for a month, and see what happens to you.

Laa hawla wa laa quwwata illa Billaah

(watch a youtube videos if you want to know how it's pronounced.
Thank you so much. I will start today.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Islam