U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Islam
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-10-2015, 07:11 PM

3,228 posts, read 2,857,785 times

Advertisements

On Friday night I met up with a friend I hadn't seen in two years. He traveled 5 hours to see me. We went to see a baseball game and although I'm not a fan of the teams that were playing, I still had a lot of fun. I liked catching up and getting out.

I wore my Acrassicauda shirt. I was a bit nervous about it because it has Arabic (الجهل الجريمة
or "Ignorance is a crime") on the back. You never know what to expect. However, the shirt was a hit with some people - it went over well. When I was getting my friend and I food at a restaurant, one guy was reading my back. I turned over and he said, "Oh, I'm just reading your shirt."

I replied, "Ah, okay. I will admit I was a bit nervous about it. You just never know what to expect."

He laughed, "I guess so. We're in Philly after all."

He said he was from New York and he was at the game with someone from the Middle East- my shirt caught his attention because I guess he wasn't expecting it. It was a good 10 minute conversation as we waited for our food.

On my way home, I was talking to three Muslim young women as we waited for the train home and on the train home. What started the conversation was I asked them if I was on the right platform. They said I was and I complimented the young lady on her hijab. It was beautiful.She was surprised I knew what it was called and she noticed the Arabic on the back of my shirt. She and the two others asked if I knew any Arabic. I explained it's very broken from some instruction at college; I spoke some of the broken Arabic. Wasn't the best, but I'm proud that I spoke it the best I could and they were patient about it. They were actually very friendly and we talked for a majority of the trip. We had some laughs; however, I noticed some people giving us dirty stares because the stares seemed like they were staring at us like we were terrorists. It made me sad to realize that just by talking to them - even mostly in English, people just stared.

Have you noticed this too? Does it make you sad?

Last edited by jessxwrites89; 05-10-2015 at 07:23 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2015, 12:31 AM

271 posts, read 214,678 times
We started to notice that some of our brothers and friends begin to adopt extreme ideas in the last couple of decades when US moved the ware zone into Middle East, I believe if there isn't a burglar then why we need cups? American politicians and their companies want to stay in Middle East for this reason so they created and made Al Qaeda and terrorist cells. Muslims suffers from Islamophobia but at the end of the day Muslims will prove that they are the most delicate and cooperative member in western communities.

Old 05-11-2015, 04:06 AM

3,228 posts, read 2,857,785 times
I can see that. I remember when my Catholic grandmother was still alive (and even my spiritual father says), "Just be careful. I don't worry about Muslims, but I worry about the non-Muslims hurting you. Not everyone is tolerant." I guess I was thinking about that the other night, but this was my first time really noticing it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Islam
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or