U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Islam
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2015, 08:26 PM

27,763 posts, read 17,758,649 times

Advertisements

Thank you for the education on Mecca and Medina. I apologize for my previous comments as well. I may not share your beliefs but I have no excuse for being a jerk about it. The acts of radicals committed in it's name I'll admit clouds my opinion much more than it should. Still, I'm aware that they are a minority of Islam.

I would actually like to see the Mosque at Mecca. Regardless of my lack of belief, the structure and history are still pretty awe inspiring, much like the Vatican is.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2015, 08:44 PM

15,511 posts, read 13,339,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
Thank you for the education on Mecca and Medina. I apologize for my previous comments as well. I may not share your beliefs but I have no excuse for being a jerk about it. The acts of radicals committed in it's name I'll admit clouds my opinion much more than it should. Still, I'm aware that they are a minority of Islam.

I would actually like to see the Mosque at Mecca. Regardless of my lack of belief, the structure and history are still pretty awe inspiring, much like the Vatican is.

The onlytime I was In Mecca I was not Muslim. I did not realize I was not supposed to be there. Since I spoke Moroccan Arabic (Darija) I guess it was assumed I was Muslim. A tour guide offered to take me there. It was not during Hajj in1963. since it was not hajj the city was virtually empty.

As soon as the Athan was called and I did not know what to do it was apparant I was not Muslim. The Mecca police told me I was not allowed in Mecca and put me in a taxi to take me back to Jedda.

Actually I was somewhat disappointed as the city was nearly empty and I did not see inside the Mosque

No advertising, no copyrighted material, no personal attacks

MODERATOR OF: Buddhism: Judaism: Paganism:

When in doubt read the TOS MOD LIST FAQ's
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Islam