U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Islam
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2015, 09:31 AM

1,601 posts, read 750,644 times

Advertisements

Since people are accusing all religions of violence in the name of their religion during holidays, I thought I'd open up the doors to researching this.

To start, I do have the number of DEADLY (let's count only terrorist attacks where people were killed) Islamic terrorist attacks for 2014 Ramadan and the number of deadly attacks by other religions for the same period:

The Jawa Report: Ramadan Bombathon 2014 Scorecard

The problem is, of course, that Ramadan is not a holiday for other religions. So, can anyone here list the deadly terrorist attacks done by other religions during their 2014 holidays in the name of their religion?

Here is a list of all the Islamic terrorist attacks during 2014, so you can look up Ramadan dates to see what attacks took place:
TheReligionofPeace.com - List of Islamic Terror Attacks for 2014

You might notice that most of these deadly terrorist attacks are against other Muslims, so be sure to include deadly terrorist attacks done by the members of other religions against their own religion, but it has to be in the name of their religion. If someone kills their wife for playing computer games instead of making dinner, it doesn't count.

I'll also list here the deadly terrorist attacks by Muslims done during Ramadan in 2015 as they happen. And i hope people will post deadly terrorist attacks carried out by other religions during this time.

Old 06-17-2015, 07:13 PM

39,026 posts, read 10,819,276 times
No, I can't. Not set off by festivals and not necessarily deadly.

The only examples I have been able to find are these. Not what you asked for and small beer compared to what Islamics are dishing out on a regular basis, but it is religion related violence. It does happen.

Christian protesters traveled across the country to Dearborn, Mich., where they taunted attendees and even held a severed pig's head for three days at the annual Arab International Festival. The protests turned violent Sunday, and by the end of the day as many as 10 people facing disorderly conduct or assault charges, according to ABC News Detroit affiliate WXYZ.

"You're going to burn in hell," a missionary reportedly yelled at a group of Arab-American boys, while other protesters held anti-Muslim signs that made bigoted remarks about Islam and its prophet Mohammed, including "Islam is a religion of blood and murder" and "Muhammad (Islam's prophet) is a … liar, false prophet, murderer, child molesting pervert."

Christian Taunts and Violence Mar Arab Festival in Michigan - ABC News

This is a reaction to the Muslim festival of course, rather than a breakout during a Christian festival.

On June 15 (2014) a violent mob ripped through three neighboring towns in southwestern Sri Lanka. The horde explicitly targeted Muslims, slinging Molotov cocktails, burning bikes, and looting homes and businesses. Riots, violence, and personal threats aren’t unheard of in Sri Lanka, but this riot caught the world’s attention.
https://news.vice.com/article/meet-t...s-in-sri-lanka
Tensions flared in northwestern Myanmar after 10 Muslims were beaten to death by a mob of Buddhist vigilantes Sunday in retaliation to the rape and murder of a girl allegedly by Muslim men.

About 300 people belonging to the Buddhist majority stopped a bus carrying Muslims from a religious gathering, dragged 10 of them out and beat them to death before burning the vehicle in Taunggup, in the state of Rakhine, 300 kilometers north of Yangon, the state television reported.

Buddhist Mob Beats 10 Muslims To Death In Myanmar; Communal Violence Spreads

A beef-eating festival at a university in the Indian city of Hyderabad has led to clashes between rival sets of Hindu students, police say.
They say that Hindus who regard cows as sacred fought with low caste Dalit groups who organised the event.About 1,500 people were fed beef biriyani as part of the festival late on Sunday evening.

Dalit groups want beef on the campus hostel menu. Right wing Hindu groups say eating beef is not Hindu practice. Last year's event at Osmania University also ended in violence.
The BBC's Omer Farooq in the city says that says there has been tension for a few days now on the campus.
Our correspondent says that has been the case ever since organisers announced that the festival - held over the weekend - would go ahead. Right-wing Hindu groups soon afterwards declared their intention to stop it.

The clashes that were feared erupted on Sunday evening and carried on late into the early hours of Monday morning, reports say.
Police say that the violence began when about 100 members of the right-wing Akhil Bharatiya Vidyarthi Parishad (ABVP) marched towards the festival ground and were stopped by police.

The protesters then set two vehicles on fire and threw stones at police, who used batons and tear gas to beat back the crowd.

Violence breaks out at Indian beef-eating festival - BBC News.

Old 06-17-2015, 07:36 PM

Well, at least you're on the board. Although only if I throw out the holiday requirement.

10 dead compared to .... TheReligionofPeace.com - List of Islamic Terror Attacks for 2014

Old 06-17-2015, 08:50 PM

3,440 posts, read 1,581,295 times
I agree with the OP, after all we are listing facts and truths.
What the OP called for are religious-related terrors and violence.

However, we should take note there is a big difference between religious-related violence and religious-inspired violence.

Most of the violence committed by SOME Muslims are heavily motivated and inspired by the holy texts of Islam [Quran, Hadiths, Sira, others] and its ethos.

Meanwhile Buddhists who committed violence are not inspired by any Buddhist Sutras as core Buddhism do not condone violence at all. No Buddhists will fight in the name of the Buddha. Some wayward Buddhist may commit violence in Myanmar but we don't hear of other Buddhists in other parts of the world following up by going to Myanmar to become Buddhist Warriors. The violence in Myanmar committed by 'Buddhists' is more of ethnic related violence rather than religious motivated violence.

I noted the violence in Myanmar due to real fears of Islam as evident from the acts of SOME Muslims around the world. One need to question why the majority Myanmist are not committing violence on Christians, Jews, Taoist, Thais, Hindus and other religionists? Why, Why, and Why only Rohingya who are majority Muslims.
Buddhist monks who want to resort to violence should disrobe first.

Some Muslim apologists will quote one or two verses re Buddhist violent element from the Mahayana Sutras. These are merely needle-in-the-haystack elements and meant to be allegory. Beside these come from the Mahayana sect and the Buddhists in Myanmar belong to a different Theravada sect.

I'll go along with the OP and let see the facts.

Old 06-17-2015, 09:04 PM

I'm not sure if this one makes it under the wire for the start of Ramadan:

Islamic State car bombs kill or injure 50 in Yemeni capital
(I think it's up to 58 dead now)
A security official said at least 50 people were killed or wounded in the attacks on the Hashush mosque, the Kibsi mosque, the al-Qubah al-Khadra mosque and the political bureau of the Ansarullah movement of the Houthis, who belong to the Zaydi sect of Shi'ite Islam.

"The explosion was so loud I thought it was caused by an air strike," said a man in his 70s named Ali, who had just left a mosque when a bomb went off.

"I returned and found cars burning, people screaming and wounded people all over."

The Sunni Muslim Islamic State said in a statement posted online it carried out the attacks.

Islamic State car bombs kill or injure 50 in Yemeni capital

Old 06-17-2015, 09:27 PM

2 posts, read 1,726 times
The only difference is that muslims are honest even in war. The kaffirs are not. All muslims know that fighting is not allowed during the month of ramadhan. So muslims setting of bombs and shedding blood during the month of ramadhan is a little suspicious. The kuffar apparently have no God to answer to so why wouldn't they stoop to the low levels of setting off these bombs to blame muslims? Its politics everyones a manipulative lying scumbag. If u dont agree then ur the same.

Old 06-17-2015, 09:38 PM

You are invited to post news articles about followers of other religions using deadly violence in the name of their religion during their 2014 holidays. Your claims would be much more interesting with solid evidence to back you up.

Old 06-17-2015, 09:46 PM

15,511 posts, read 13,274,304 times
Ramadan will start at a different time at different locations. It begins with the first sighting of the Crescent moon after the new moon of Sha'ban (The 8th month of the Hijr calender) Ramadan is the 9th month of the Hijr calender. Each month begins with the first crscent after the last crescent of the previous month. Ramadan began here at sunset about an hour ago. It should have begun in NC at about 8 PM

Reports: Mass shooting at AME Church in Charleston, S.C.

Shooting in Charleston, S.C.
A mass shooting was reported Wednesday night in Charleston, S.C.
CHARLESTON, S.C. —
Reports of a shooting at Emmanuel AME Church in Charleston, South Carolina, first appeared on Twitter.
Charleston police confirmed the shooting, according to WMBFnews.com.

Reports: Mass shooting at AME Church in Charleston, S.C. | www.wsoctv.com

No advertising, no copyrighted material, no personal attacks

MODERATOR OF: Buddhism: Judaism: Paganism:

When in doubt read the TOS MOD LIST FAQ's

Old 06-17-2015, 11:30 PM

Woodrow LI. Do you have evidence that this is a Muslim killing in the name of Islam?

Since we are looking specifically for deadly terrorist attacks carried out by other religions during their 2014 holidays in the name of their religion (which this is not) or deadly attacks in the name of Islam done by Muslims during Ramadan, you must be thinking it is the Muslims.

From what I read this seems like a racially motivated attack, not religious. But maybe you know more than I do - it could be a Muslim.

Old 06-18-2015, 04:48 AM

39,026 posts, read 10,819,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Continuum View Post
I agree with the OP, after all we are listing facts and truths.
What the OP called for are religious-related terrors and violence.

However, we should take note there is a big difference between religious-related violence and religious-inspired violence.

Most of the violence committed by SOME Muslims are heavily motivated and inspired by the holy texts of Islam [Quran, Hadiths, Sira, others] and its ethos.

Meanwhile Buddhists who committed violence are not inspired by any Buddhist Sutras as core Buddhism do not condone violence at all. No Buddhists will fight in the name of the Buddha. Some wayward Buddhist may commit violence in Myanmar but we don't hear of other Buddhists in other parts of the world following up by going to Myanmar to become Buddhist Warriors. The violence in Myanmar committed by 'Buddhists' is more of ethnic related violence rather than religious motivated violence.

I noted the violence in Myanmar due to real fears of Islam as evident from the acts of SOME Muslims around the world. One need to question why the majority Myanmist are not committing violence on Christians, Jews, Taoist, Thais, Hindus and other religionists? Why, Why, and Why only Rohingya who are majority Muslims.
Buddhist monks who want to resort to violence should disrobe first.

Some Muslim apologists will quote one or two verses re Buddhist violent element from the Mahayana Sutras. These are merely needle-in-the-haystack elements and meant to be allegory. Beside these come from the Mahayana sect and the Buddhists in Myanmar belong to a different Theravada sect.

I'll go along with the OP and let see the facts.
Quite correct. The fact is that this stuff is complex. There is much in the argument that race or politics, rather, is what is at the bottom this sort of thing and religion is just the hats they are wearing so they know whose side they are on.

LI will argue that Islam is a peaceful religion at base and the Quran does not promote or enjoin violence. I am not going to argue with LI as I would be out of my depth, and the Jihad -thing has arisen out of the cultural history - after all, where do the Crusades come from in the Bible? And the Western intervention in Muslim countries can so easily be seen as a modern -day Cresade, not least by Bush and Blair, who foisted the Iraq war on the world.

I have seen Buddhist contempt for Hindus and Muslims first hand in Sri Lanka and Myanmar. It is nevertheless shocking to see Buddhists involved in violence, even if it is piddling compared with the Muslim record over the past five years or so.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Islam