U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Islam
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2015, 05:37 PM

3,228 posts, read 2,852,261 times

Advertisements

Salaam everyone.

I hope everyone is having a good day. Next Saturday is my birthday and on Friday I am planning a trip to New York City for the day... as a birthday treat. I want to visit a mosque because the last time I was in one, I felt at peace and it really solidified my spiritual journey. One of my friends in New York City suggested e-mailing the ICC in NYC. I did and explained I am on a spiritual journey and would love to attend a service if it was okay. I haven't received a reply yet. I'm debating of just going. Should I? Or should I just wait for a reply? I really want to go.

However, I see that their Friday prayer is between 12:30 and 1:30 PM. I made plans for 12:15, but they can be changed. I'm really debating what to do and need some guidance, please. Would it be weird if I just showed up?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2015, 08:05 PM

15,511 posts, read 13,274,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jessxwrites89 View Post
Salaam everyone.

I hope everyone is having a good day. Next Saturday is my birthday and on Friday I am planning a trip to New York City for the day... as a birthday treat. I want to visit a mosque because the last time I was in one, I felt at peace and it really solidified my spiritual journey. One of my friends in New York City suggested e-mailing the ICC in NYC. I did and explained I am on a spiritual journey and would love to attend a service if it was okay. I haven't received a reply yet. I'm debating of just going. Should I? Or should I just wait for a reply? I really want to go.

However, I see that their Friday prayer is between 12:30 and 1:30 PM. I made plans for 12:15, but they can be changed. I'm really debating what to do and need some guidance, please. Would it be weird if I just showed up?

Thanks!
They shouldn't be any problem. Just keep in mind men and women enter the mosque throuuh different doors. Also we do take off our shoes before entering the prayer room, there usually are racks to put your shoes on.

If you get there early feel free to ask any one if they can find you a chair. Most Mosques do have chairs on hand for visitors. On Friday some one, usually the Imam, will give a kutbah (Sermon) about 30 minutes before the prayer this is normally related to community concerns. normally it is given first in Arabic and then repeated in the language most of the community speaks.

Just enjoy your visit and feel free to ask questions.

No advertising, no copyrighted material, no personal attacks

MODERATOR OF: Buddhism: Judaism: Paganism:

When in doubt read the TOS MOD LIST FAQ's

Old 06-29-2015, 04:13 AM

Thanks, Woodrow. I think I'll change my reservations for this Lebanese place I'm going to for a later time than 12:15. I'll call them today. Hopefully they do have later appointments.

I'm just really excited.

Old 06-29-2015, 08:27 AM

Quote:
Thanks, Woodrow. I think I'll change my reservations for this Lebanese place I'm going to for a later time than 12:15. I'll call them today. Hopefully they do have later appointments.

I'm just really excited.
You may not be aware but the Mosque will also have the rebular daily prayers besides Jummah on Friday. The Friday Jummah is actually the Kutub. Immediatly followed by the Dhuhr prayer.

The next prayer will be Asr that occurs about mid way between Dhuhr and Sunset this time of year and in New York that should be at about 7 PM

Old 06-29-2015, 04:10 PM

I changed my restaurant reservations to 2 instead. I'll be going to Friday Jummah. I just feel weird about showing up, but I guess I shouldn't. I have a hijab, I'll bring a sweater... but I guess I'll wear nice dress pants.

Old 06-29-2015, 04:20 PM

Quote:
I changed my restaurant reservations to 2 instead. I'll be going to Friday Jummah. I just feel weird about showing up, but I guess I shouldn't. I have a hijab, I'll bring a sweater... but I guess I'll wear nice dress pants.
Just watch which door the woman are entering through. Introduce yourself to one and explain your reason for being there, I am certain she will be happy to help you.

However there probably will not be many women for Jummah..

Women are not obligated to attend Jummah, although they are welcomed and some will be there.

Old 06-29-2015, 05:43 PM

Thanks, Woodrow! As I explained to someone in Philadelphia that was a part of Street Dawah, I am studying it and on a spiritual journey. I didn't say what I am posting here to him (I just told him I'd e-mail him questions). I am going to rejoin, but when I move out. My dad was cool about it last time (he just said be careful...but he has many Muslim friends and knows we as a whole aren't bad) and my grandma supported it (I miss her). It was only my mom. So, I practice now in quiet, pray, read, and study. It's brought me great peace. It's been my saving grace so far.

Old 06-30-2015, 11:55 AM

1,244 posts, read 709,145 times
Quote:
Thanks, Woodrow! As I explained to someone in Philadelphia that was a part of Street Dawah, I am studying it and on a spiritual journey. I didn't say what I am posting here to him (I just told him I'd e-mail him questions). I am going to rejoin, but when I move out. My dad was cool about it last time (he just said be careful...but he has many Muslim friends and knows we as a whole aren't bad) and my grandma supported it (I miss her). It was only my mom. So, I practice now in quiet, pray, read, and study. It's brought me great peace. It's been my saving grace so far.
Mecca center seems like a nice place.

Muslim Education and Converts Center of America | A House Full of Light

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gBRD8fDB3bo

Last edited by Sorel36; 06-30-2015 at 12:10 PM..

Old 06-30-2015, 04:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sorel36 View Post
Hmmm... I'm going to spend the morning in Central Park, so it might be whichever one is closest! I don't drive and will be taking the subway. I'm not familiar with the subway system in NYC either.

Thank you, Sorel!

Old 07-04-2015, 06:48 AM

271 posts, read 214,198 times
Go sister, May Allah guide you and choose the best for you
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Islam
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or