U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Islam
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2015, 03:39 PM

15,511 posts, read 13,305,624 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by juju33312 View Post
"Islam encourages the freeing of slaves "

Not here:

Narrated Kurib: the freed slave of Ibn 'Abbas, that Maimuna bint Al-Harith told him that she manumitted a slave-girl without taking the permission of the Prophet. On the day when it was her turn to be with the Prophet, she said, "Do you know, O Allah's Apostle, that I have manumitted my slave-girl?" He said, "Have you really?" She replied in the affirmative. He said, "You would have got more reward if you had given her (i.e. the slave-girl) to one of your maternal uncles."
— Sahih al-Bukhari, 3:47:765

In fact, nowhere in the Quran or hadiths do I find an order to free all slaves. And certainly Muhammed owned slaves.

Narrated Anas: The Prophet offered the Fajr Prayer near Khaibar when it was still dark and then said, "Allahu-Akbar! Khaibar is destroyed, for whenever we approach a (hostile) nation (to fight), then evil will be the morning for those who have been warned." Then the inhabitants of Khaibar came out running on the roads. The Prophet had their warriors killed, their offspring and woman taken as captives. Safiya was amongst the captives, She first came in the share of Dahya Alkali but later on she belonged to the Prophet . The Prophet made her manumission as her 'Mahr'.
— Sahih al-Bukhari, 5:59:512 see also Sahih al-Bukhari, 2:14:68 Sahih al-Bukhari, 5:59:447

Narrated Anas bin Malik: Allah's Apostle was on a journey and he had a black slave called Anjasha, and he was driving the camels (very fast, and there were women riding on those camels). Allah's Apostle said, "Waihaka (May Allah be merciful to you), O Anjasha! Drive slowly (the camels) with the glass vessels (women)!"
— Sahih al-Bukhari, 8:73:182 see also Sahih al-Bukhari, 8:73:229 Sahih al-Bukhari, 8:73:221

Your apologetic article is garbage.

Another example:
"Concubinage, from the root sirr meaning secret, is marriage because it is kept hidden…"

Oh, it IS marriage. Except for 2 sentences later:
" Islam made the concubines like wives "

Another example:

"In this respect, the Quran commands Muslims to marry (ankihu) their female slaves in the same way free women are married."

But in reality, the Quran says:
"Whoever among you cannot find the means to marry free, believing women, then he may marry from those whom your right hands possess of believing slave girls," and that is even in the article!

Talk about dishonesty!!

This does provide an excellent example of how Muslims will say anything to protect Islam. They will use any method to pretend what Islam did say wasn't said.

Honesty is one of my moral values. This is what happens to Muslims when they fake reality:
" Honesty is the recognition of the fact that the unreal is unreal and can have no value, that neither love nor fame nor cash is a value if obtained by fraud—that an attempt to gain a value by deceiving the mind of others is an act of raising your victims to a position higher than reality, where you become a pawn of their blindness, a slave of their non-thinking and their evasions, while their intelligence, their rationality, their perceptiveness become the enemies you have to dread and flee—that you do not care to live as a dependent, least of all a dependent on the stupidity of others, or as a fool whose source of values is the fools he succeeds in fooling—that honesty is not a social duty, not a sacrifice for the sake of others, but the most profoundly selfish virtue man can practice: his refusal to sacrifice the reality of his own existence to the deluded consciousness of others." - Ayn Rand
First step is to understand what marriage is.

There are several forms of 'Marriage" in Islam. None of which is a religious sacrement like in Christianity.

Marriage is a contract between 2 people that establishes the guidelines of living together.and mutual responsibility.

I did unintentionally mislead when I was speaking about the Nikkah as I left the implication that is and always has been the only form of marriage. Currently it is but during the era the Qur'an was being revealed there were sereral forms of Marriage in Arabia. Which remained valid and still had to be honore until the Qur'an was fully revealed.

Unless you desire I will not go into one of my long winded posts and just state that until Islam ended slavery the taking of a concubine was a form of marriage and gave the concubine rights similar to a Nikkah.

No advertising, no copyrighted material, no personal attacks

MODERATOR OF: Buddhism: Judaism: Paganism:

When in doubt read the TOS MOD LIST FAQ's
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2015, 06:19 PM

1,601 posts, read 754,126 times
"There are several forms of 'Marriage" in Islam. "

Which kind includes raping captive women in front of their husbands?

Which kind includes mass raping captive women after slaughtering their husbands, fathers and sons?

Which kind includes raping your slave girls that you had captured?

"until Islam ended slavery"

This should be clarified. Today there is much slavery in Islam.

In Afghanistan most slaves are boys.
BBC NEWS | South Asia | Afghan child slavery probe

In Mali Arabs own blacks.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/world...a8a_story.html

Pakistan.
In Pakistan, 'slavery' persists - CSMonitor.com

Mauritania.
Silent Terror: A Journey into Contemporary African Slavery :: Reviewed by Daniel Pipes
http://www.nytimes.com/2013/11/12/wo...pagewanted=all

Saudi Arabia: Although slavery was 'banned' in 1962, slavery is alive and well.
Human Trafficking & Modern-day Slavery in Saudi Arabia

Sudan.
My Career Redeeming Slaves :: Middle East Quarterly

Yemen.
http://www.alarabiya.net/articles/20...21/114451.html

Islam paid some lip service to ending slavery because of pressure from the West, human rights groups and sometimes the UN. But slavery goes on in Islam. The IS in Iraq and Syria just conquered large parts of Syria and Iraq is celebrating slavery.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Islam
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or