U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Islam
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 08-13-2015, 03:06 AM
 
226 posts, read 123,633 times
Reputation: 64

Advertisements

In Islam, can a non-Muslim man marry a Muslim woman?

And if not, why not?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 08-13-2015, 08:14 AM
 
Location: Logan Township, Minnesota
15,511 posts, read 13,282,205 times
Reputation: 7407
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheProcess View Post
In Islam, can a non-Muslim man marry a Muslim woman?

And if not, why not?
Pretty much for the same Reason a Jewish, Sikh, Hindu and some Christian women can not marry a Muslim.

But more specifically relating to Muslim women.

1. A Muslim woman is expected to support her Husband's religion. Typically this would require a Muslim Woman to convert to her Husbands faith.

2. A Muslim can not have sexual relations with a person they do not have a signed Nikkah with. It will be very difficult to find a non-Muslim man willing to sign a Nikkah. some required contents of a Nikkah.
a. The Husband must maintain a minimum income as specified by the woman.
b. the Man must provide the woman with housing and furnishings of her choice
c. The man is responsible for all Household expenses even if the woman has a larger income
d. The Husband must provide the woman with a monthly income adequate to satisfy her personal needs, even if she has a larger income

It would be quite difficult to find a non-Muslim man willing to sign a Nikkah.

3. A Muslim woman is required to raise all of her children Muslim. and to be the primary teacher of Islam in the household. She must enable and urge her Husband to faithfully practice Islam.

4. A Muslim woman is responsible for maintaining an Islamic home and not permit anything haram from entering the Home. ie: intoxicant, forbidden foods,, pictures of animate beings, images of Prophets etc., Not distracting ornaments on the walls.

The final drawback is a Muslim woman is not permitted to be alone with a non-Muslim Male. This could make for a very awkward Marriage if the woman remains Muslim.
__________________
When posting as a MOD my posts will be in red

No advertising, no copyrighted material, no personal attacks


MODERATOR OF: Buddhism: Judaism: Paganism:

When in doubt read the TOS MOD LIST FAQ's
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-13-2015, 09:54 AM
 
1,601 posts, read 751,510 times
Reputation: 435
"The final drawback is a Muslim woman is not permitted to be alone with a non-Muslim Male"

Actually, a Muslim woman is not supposed to be alone with Muslim males that she is not related to or married to, even if he is Muslim. But Muhammed came up with a solution for this. Let the men suck on the woman's breasts and drink the breast milk. Here's how it started:

Sahih Muslim
Book 008, Number 3424:
' A'isha (Allah be pleased with her) reported that Sahla bint Suhail came to Allah's Apostle (may peace be upon him) and said: Messenger of Allah, I see on the face of Abu Hudhaifa (signs of disgust) on entering of Salim (who is an ally) into (our house), whereupon Allah's Apostle (may peace be upon him) said: Suckle him. She said: How can I suckle him as he is a grown-up man? Allah's Messenger (may peace be upon him) smiled and said: I already know that he is a young man. 'Amr has made this addition in his narration that he participated in the Battle of Badr and in the narration of Ibn 'Umar (the words are): Allah's Messenger (may peace be upon him) laughed."

Islam and The Nursing of Adults

Here is a recent fatwa, but here the man should drink the breast milk from a glass:
http://www.nydailynews.com/news/saud...ticle-1.181530
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-13-2015, 08:58 PM
 
Location: Logan Township, Minnesota
15,511 posts, read 13,282,205 times
Reputation: 7407
Quote:
Originally Posted by juju33312 View Post
"The final drawback is a Muslim woman is not permitted to be alone with a non-Muslim Male"

Actually, a Muslim woman is not supposed to be alone with Muslim males that she is not related to or married to, even if he is Muslim. But Muhammed came up with a solution for this. Let the men suck on the woman's breasts and drink the breast milk. Here's how it started:

Sahih Muslim
Book 008, Number 3424:
' A'isha (Allah be pleased with her) reported that Sahla bint Suhail came to Allah's Apostle (may peace be upon him) and said: Messenger of Allah, I see on the face of Abu Hudhaifa (signs of disgust) on entering of Salim (who is an ally) into (our house), whereupon Allah's Apostle (may peace be upon him) said: Suckle him. She said: How can I suckle him as he is a grown-up man? Allah's Messenger (may peace be upon him) smiled and said: I already know that he is a young man. 'Amr has made this addition in his narration that he participated in the Battle of Badr and in the narration of Ibn 'Umar (the words are): Allah's Messenger (may peace be upon him) laughed."

Islam and The Nursing of Adults

Here is a recent fatwa, but here the man should drink the breast milk from a glass:
http://www.nydailynews.com/news/saud...ticle-1.181530
rea the last sentence carefully

his fatwa, which has sparked controversy and disapproval, has prompted some to call for stricter constraints on law making.

Also there is no obligation is a fatwa, it is an opinion. technically ony a Musti can make a fatwa and it is to be related to Islamic Jurisprudence.

A Mufti in Saudi is the equivelent of a Supreme court Judge in the US. Only his Fatwas are opinions not laws.
__________________
When posting as a MOD my posts will be in red

No advertising, no copyrighted material, no personal attacks


MODERATOR OF: Buddhism: Judaism: Paganism:

When in doubt read the TOS MOD LIST FAQ's
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-13-2015, 09:24 PM
 
1,601 posts, read 751,510 times
Reputation: 435
"his fatwa, which has sparked controversy and disapproval,"

Why? I thought Muhammed was a perfect example to follow and this is what Muhammed said to do.

Sahih Muslim

Book 008, Number 3424:

' A'isha (Allah be pleased with her) reported that Sahla bint Suhail came to Allah's Apostle (may peace be upon him) and said: Messenger of Allah, I see on the face of Abu Hudhaifa (signs of disgust) on entering of Salim (who is an ally) into (our house), whereupon Allah's Apostle (may peace be upon him) said: Suckle him. She said: How can I suckle him as he is a grown-up man? Allah's Messenger (may peace be upon him) smiled and said: I already know that he is a young man. 'Amr has made this addition in his narration that he participated in the Battle of Badr and in the narration of Ibn 'Umar (the words are): Allah's Messenger (may peace be upon him) laughed.

Book 008, Number 3425:

'A'isha (Allah be pleased with her) reported that Salim, the freed slave of Abu Hadhaifa, lived with him and his family in their house. She (i. e. the daughter of Suhail came to Allah's Apostle (may peace be upon him) and said: Salim has attained (puberty) as men attain, and he understands what they understand, and he enters our house freely, I, however, perceive that something (rankles) in the heart of Abu Hudhaifa, whereupon Allah's Apostle (may peace be upon him) said to her: Suckle him and you would become unlawful for him, and (the rankling) which Abu Hudhaifa feels in his heart will disappear. She returned and said: So I suckled him, and what (was there) in the heart of Abu Hudhaifa disappeared.

Book 008, Number 3427:

Umm Salama said to 'A'isha (Allah be pleased with her): A young boy who is at the threshold of puberty comes to you. I, however, do not like that he should come to me, whereupon 'A'isha (Allah be pleased with her) said: Don't you see in Allah's Messenger (may peace be upon him) a model for you? She also said: The wife of Abu Hudhaifa said: Messenger of Allah, Salim comes to me and now he is a (grown-up) person, and there is something that (rankles) in the mind of Abu Hudhaifa about him, whereupon Allah's Messenger (may peace be upon him) said: Suckle him (so that he may become your foster-child), and thus he may be able to come to you (freely).

Book 008, Number 3428:

Zainab daughter of Abu Salama reported: I heard Umm Salama, the wife of Allah's Apostle (may peace be upon himy, saying to 'A'isha: By Allah, I do not like to be seen by a young boy who has passed the period of fosterage, whereupon she ('A'isha) said: Why is it so? Sahla daughter of Suhail came to Allah's Messenger (may peace be upon him) and said: Allah's Messenger, I swear by Allah that I see in the face of Abu Hudhaifa (the signs of disgust) on account of entering of Salim (in the house), whereupon Allah's Messenger (may peace be upon him) said: Suckle him. She (Sahla bint Suhail) said: He has a beard. But he (again) said: Suckle him, and it would remove what is there (expression of disgust) on the face of Abu Hudhaifa. She said: (I did that) and, by Allah, I did not see (any sign of disgust) on the face of Abu Hadhaifa.

Don't Muslims throughout the world still rely on the holy texts of Islam .... and on the wisdom of their prophet?

But then this raises a problem. Muslim women are concerned about having to breast-feed co-workers in order to gain permission to hold a job and be around men. A woman is forced to wear a veil to prevent herself from becoming harassed. To avoid the veil, she has to breastfeed a strange man. Not exactly sound logic.

The common apologetic excuse is that this hadith only referred to one woman and only that one time. Nonsense.

"Islam at its most basic form is the Qur'an and Sunnah of Muhammad. Islamic rules and regulations pertaining to all things originate from studying these texts and seeing how Muhammad dealt with them. Islamic jurists then apply these to modern-day situations. Here we find a woman came to Muhammad with a problem and he gave her instructions on how to solve it, i.e. how to make a non-mahram male into a mahram. There is absolutely nothing in the Sahih Muslim narration that would suggest this instruction was only limited to her, or to women in the exact same situation. The fact that the non-mahram was a freed slave who lived in the same house as her (as a foster member of the family) is inconsequential. And even if it were not, that would still mean it is permissible for a foster parent to suckle her adult foster child to make him a mahram. This in itself is disturbing."

Adult Suckling - WikiIslam
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-13-2015, 10:29 PM
 
Location: Not-a-Theist
3,440 posts, read 1,583,450 times
Reputation: 461
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodrow LI View Post
rea the last sentence carefully
his fatwa, which has sparked controversy and disapproval, has prompted some to call for stricter constraints on law making.
Also there is no obligation is a fatwa, it is an opinion. technically ony a Musti can make a fatwa and it is to be related to Islamic Jurisprudence.
A Mufti in Saudi is the equivelent of a Supreme court Judge in the US. Only his Fatwas are opinions not laws.
As anticipated, another deflection as usual. The Fatwa is secondary.

Note Juju33312 quoted the Hadiths, an imperative text adopted by the Sunni sect which are 80% of Muslims.
The point is Muslims gain more merits if they comply as much as possible to the Quran and in addition, for Sunni, their specific Hadiths.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-13-2015, 10:35 PM
 
Location: southern california
55,665 posts, read 74,620,384 times
Reputation: 48173
i think nikkah is a great idea.
i wonder if boku haram provided a nikkah for the 300 children it kidnapped and assaulted before the forced marriage? btw they were christians. just asking.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-14-2015, 02:24 AM
 
Location: Not-a-Theist
3,440 posts, read 1,583,450 times
Reputation: 461
A relevant verse: [mine]
60:10 [Pickthall] O ye [Muslims] who believe! When believing [Muslim] women come unto you as fugitives [from Mecca], examine them. Allah is best aware of their faith. Then, if ye [Muslims] know them for true believers [Muslims], send them not back unto the disbelievers.
They [Muslim women] are not lawful for the disbelievers [infidels], nor are the disbelievers [infidels] lawful for them [Muslim women].
..

Based on the above, a non-Muslim man [disbeliever, infidel, kafara, kafir] cannot marry a Muslim girl.

Perhaps the above constraint was relevant and effective long ago.
That is the problem with such immutable laws from immutable holy texts from an Omni-whatever GOD that is non-existent anyway.

In a progressive modern society like ours such primitive restraints should be done away with!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-14-2015, 04:55 AM
 
Location: Candy Kingdom
3,228 posts, read 2,854,021 times
Reputation: 5187
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodrow LI View Post
Pretty much for the same Reason a Jewish, Sikh, Hindu and some Christian women can not marry a Muslim.

But more specifically relating to Muslim women.

1. A Muslim woman is expected to support her Husband's religion. Typically this would require a Muslim Woman to convert to her Husbands faith.

2. A Muslim can not have sexual relations with a person they do not have a signed Nikkah with. It will be very difficult to find a non-Muslim man willing to sign a Nikkah. some required contents of a Nikkah.
a. The Husband must maintain a minimum income as specified by the woman.
b. the Man must provide the woman with housing and furnishings of her choice
c. The man is responsible for all Household expenses even if the woman has a larger income
d. The Husband must provide the woman with a monthly income adequate to satisfy her personal needs, even if she has a larger income

It would be quite difficult to find a non-Muslim man willing to sign a Nikkah.

3. A Muslim woman is required to raise all of her children Muslim. and to be the primary teacher of Islam in the household. She must enable and urge her Husband to faithfully practice Islam.

4. A Muslim woman is responsible for maintaining an Islamic home and not permit anything haram from entering the Home. ie: intoxicant, forbidden foods,, pictures of animate beings, images of Prophets etc., Not distracting ornaments on the walls.

The final drawback is a Muslim woman is not permitted to be alone with a non-Muslim Male. This could make for a very awkward Marriage if the woman remains Muslim.
Woodrow is right. I remember the first time I reverted and Nan was still alive (Nan was my grandmother). Nan said, "Well, this rule isn't very strange. Back when I got married, most Catholic women married Catholic men. It was uncommon for a Catholic to marry a Jew, Muslim, or someone of a different background. Of course, it did happen, but it wasn't common as it is today. It's hard to raise children of conflicting beliefs. Sure, you hear about parents celebrating both religious holidays, but it's confusing."

Everything else Woodrow wrote is spot on.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-14-2015, 08:27 AM
 
Location: Logan Township, Minnesota
15,511 posts, read 13,282,205 times
Reputation: 7407
Quote:
Originally Posted by Continuum View Post
A relevant verse: [mine]
60:10 [Pickthall] O ye [Muslims] who believe! When believing [Muslim] women come unto you as fugitives [from Mecca], examine them. Allah is best aware of their faith. Then, if ye [Muslims] know them for true believers [Muslims], send them not back unto the disbelievers.
They [Muslim women] are not lawful for the disbelievers [infidels], nor are the disbelievers [infidels] lawful for them [Muslim women].
..

Based on the above, a non-Muslim man [disbeliever, infidel, kafara, kafir] cannot marry a Muslim girl.

Perhaps the above constraint was relevant and effective long ago.
That is the problem with such immutable laws from immutable holy texts from an Omni-whatever GOD that is non-existent anyway.

In a progressive modern society like ours such primitive restraints should be done away with!
Ahl al Kitab"People of the Book" (Jews, Sabeeans, Christians) are not considered disbelievers although Christians are Kafir if they are Trinitarian, "People of the Book" worship Allaah(swt) which is why it is permissible for Muslim Men to marry Women that are of the "People of the Book"



5:3 (Picktall) Forbidden unto you (for food) are carrion and blood and swine flesh, and that which hath been dedicated unto any other than Allah, and the strangled, and the dead through beating, and the dead through falling from a height, and that which hath been killed by (the goring of) horns, and the devoured of wild beasts, saving that which ye make lawful (by the death stroke), and that which hath been immolated unto idols. And (forbidden is it) that ye swear by the divining arrows. This is an abomination. This day are those who disbelieve in despair of (ever harming) your religion; so fear them not, fear Me! This day have I perfected your religion for you and completed My favor unto you, and have chosen for you as religion AL- ISLAM. Whoso is forced by hunger, not by will, to sin: (for him) lo! Allah is Forgiving, Merciful.

5:4 (Picktall) They ask thee (O Muhammad) what is made lawful for them. Say: ( all ) good things are made lawful for you. And those beasts and birds of prey which ye have trained as hounds are trained, ye teach them that which Allah taught you; so eat of that which they catch for you and mention Allah's name upon it, and observe your duty to Allah. Lo! Allah is swift to take account.

5:5 (Picktall) This day are (all) good things made lawful for you. The food of those who have received the Scripture is lawful for you, and your food is lawful for them. And so are the virtuous women of the believers and the virtuous women of those who received the Scripture before you (lawful for you) when ye give them their marriage portions and live with them in honor, not in fornication, nor taking them as secret concubines. Whoso denieth the faith, his work is vain and he will be among the losers in the Hereafter.
__________________
When posting as a MOD my posts will be in red

No advertising, no copyrighted material, no personal attacks


MODERATOR OF: Buddhism: Judaism: Paganism:

When in doubt read the TOS MOD LIST FAQ's
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Islam
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top