U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Islam
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-05-2015, 10:14 PM

15,511 posts, read 13,276,969 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Continuum View Post
I noted there are more than 110++ instances of the concept of "punishment" in the verses of the Quran. So it is not likely to be missed by most Muslims and others who read the Quran seriously.

In many cases "reward" in the Quran also meant negatively as a punishment.
A Muslim or infidel is rewarded for what one earned on Earth, if one is good one is rewarded positively and correspondingly if one is 'rewarded' negatively for evil deeds.
Here is an example of 'reward' in the negative sense, repeated many times elsewhere.
2:191. And slay [wa qtulouhum] them [infidels] wherever ye find them, and drive them [infidels] out of the places whence they [infidels] drove you out, for persecution is worse than slaughter.
And fight not with them [infidels] at the Inviolable Place of Worship [Ka'aba] until they [infidels] first attack you there, but if they [infidels] attack you (there) then slay them [infidels].
Such is the reward of disbelievers [infidels].
In 2:191 the word used is jazao جَزَاء and it translates directly to English as penalty. One of the few Arab words that has an exact English equivalent, and most translators don't use it.

No advertising, no copyrighted material, no personal attacks

MODERATOR OF: Buddhism: Judaism: Paganism:

When in doubt read the TOS MOD LIST FAQ's
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2015, 03:42 AM

3,440 posts, read 1,582,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodrow LI View Post
In 2:191 the word used is jazao جَزَاء and it translates directly to English as penalty. One of the few Arab words that has an exact English equivalent, and most translators don't use it.
Btw, what is the Arabic equivalent for "reward" in this case.

10:13 Walaqad ahlakna alquroona min qablikum lamma thalamoo wajaat-hum rusuluhum bialbayyinati wama kanoo liyu/minoo kathalika najzee alqawma almujrimeena

10:13 We destroyed the generations before you when they did wrong; and their messengers (from Allah) came unto them with clear proofs (of His Sovereignty) but they would not believe. Thus do We reward the guilty folk.

Old 09-06-2015, 04:25 AM

15,511 posts, read 13,276,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Continuum View Post
Btw, what is the Arabic equivalent for "reward" in this case.

10:13 Walaqad ahlakna alquroona min qablikum lamma thalamoo wajaat-hum rusuluhum bialbayyinati wama kanoo liyu/minoo kathalika najzee alqawma almujrimeena

10:13 We destroyed the generations before you when they did wrong; and their messengers (from Allah) came unto them with clear proofs (of His Sovereignty) but they would not believe. Thus do We reward the guilty folk.
najzee [SIZE=6]نَجْزِي[/SIZE] translates into English as "I pay" or "I compensate"

The Verb used is jzee

the prefix Na designates I. In Arabic The prefix before a verb designates who is doing the actions

Na or N' designates I, Ta or T' designates you and Ee designates they Interesting thing here is the Na (I) is being translated as the "Royal We"

Assad and Ali give better translations than Pickthal does in this case

وَلَقَدْ أَهْلَكْنَا الْقُرُونَ مِن قَبْلِكُمْ لَمَّا ظَلَمُواْ وَجَاءتْهُمْ رُسُلُهُم بِالْبَيِّنَاتِ وَمَا كَانُواْ لِيُؤْمِنُواْ كَذَلِكَ نَجْزِي الْقَوْمَ الْمُجْرِمِينَ (10:13) --Arabic Script is read from right to left.

Walaqad ahlakna alquroona min qablikum lamma thalamoo wajaathum rusuluhum bialbayyinati wama kanoo liyuminoo kathalika najzee alqawma almujrimeena

And, indeed, We destroyed before your time [whole] generations when they [persistently] did evil although the apostles sent unto them brought them all evidence of the truth; for they refused to believe [them]. Thus do We requite people who are lost in sin. [22] - 10:13 (Asad)

Generations before you We destroyed when they did wrong: their apostles came to them with clear-signs, but they would not believe! thus do We requite those who sin! - 10:13 (Y. Ali)

We destroyed the generations before you when they did wrong; and their messengers (from Allah) came unto them with clear proofs (of His Sovereignty) but they would not believe. Thus do We reward the guilty folk: - 10:13 (Picktall)

No advertising, no copyrighted material, no personal attacks

MODERATOR OF: Buddhism: Judaism: Paganism:

When in doubt read the TOS MOD LIST FAQ's

Old 09-06-2015, 06:15 AM

3,440 posts, read 1,582,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodrow LI View Post
najzee [SIZE=6]نَجْزِي[/SIZE] translates into English as "I pay" or "I compensate"

The Verb used is jzee

the prefix Na designates I. In Arabic The prefix before a verb designates who is doing the actions

Na or N' designates I, Ta or T' designates you and Ee designates they Interesting thing here is the Na (I) is being translated as the "Royal We"

Assad and Ali give better translations than Pickthal does in this case

وَلَقَدْ أَهْلَكْنَا الْقُرُونَ مِن قَبْلِكُمْ لَمَّا ظَلَمُواْ وَجَاءتْهُمْ رُسُلُهُم بِالْبَيِّنَاتِ وَمَا كَانُواْ لِيُؤْمِنُواْ كَذَلِكَ نَجْزِي الْقَوْمَ الْمُجْرِمِينَ (10:13) --Arabic Script is read from right to left.

Walaqad ahlakna alquroona min qablikum lamma thalamoo wajaathum rusuluhum bialbayyinati wama kanoo liyuminoo kathalika najzee alqawma almujrimeena

And, indeed, We destroyed before your time [whole] generations when they [persistently] did evil although the apostles sent unto them brought them all evidence of the truth; for they refused to believe [them]. Thus do We requite people who are lost in sin. [22] - 10:13 (Asad)

Generations before you We destroyed when they did wrong: their apostles came to them with clear-signs, but they would not believe! thus do We requite those who sin! - 10:13 (Y. Ali)

We destroyed the generations before you when they did wrong; and their messengers (from Allah) came unto them with clear proofs (of His Sovereignty) but they would not believe. Thus do We reward the guilty folk: - 10:13 (Picktall)
Noted.
I agree in this context requite, recompense, repay would be more clearer than the ambiguous term 'reward'.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Islam
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or