U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Islam
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-21-2015, 03:59 PM

3,228 posts, read 2,855,792 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone,

On Friday afternoon, I ventured into this Islamic store in Philadelphia and bought a prayer rug. The clerk gave me some books to study up and said, "take your time and never jump into anything. Most new converts take their time, but even life long practitioners don't rush either." I agreed and thanked him. Friendly guy and most people in that neighborhood were friendly.

However, when I got home, I noticed there was a damp smell to the rug - like it had been in a humid basement. I want to get rid of the scent. I've thought about buying incense to put on the rug, though someone mentioned airing it outside. How could I freshen the rug? What would be okay to do? I don't want to ruin the rug or something incorrect. HELP!

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2015, 04:11 PM

15,511 posts, read 13,289,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jessxwrites89 View Post
Hi everyone,

On Friday afternoon, I ventured into this Islamic store in Philadelphia and bought a prayer rug. The clerk gave me some books to study up and said, "take your time and never jump into anything. Most new converts take their time, but even life long practitioners don't rush either." I agreed and thanked him. Friendly guy and most people in that neighborhood were friendly.

However, when I got home, I noticed there was a damp smell to the rug - like it had been in a humid basement. I want to get rid of the scent. I've thought about buying incense to put on the rug, though someone mentioned airing it outside. How could I freshen the rug? What would be okay to do? I don't want to ruin the rug or something incorrect. HELP!

Thanks!
There is nothing holy about a prayer rug. It has no religious significance. If your floor is clean you do not even need one. But for health reasons in is best to use one.

One can even use a newspaper of even a plastic bag as a prayer rug.

Quote:
Question: What are prayer rugs, and how are they used by Muslims?

Answer: Muslims are often seen kneeling and prostrating on small embroidered rugs, called "prayer rugs." For those unfamiliar with the use of these rugs, they may look like small "oriental carpets," or simply nice pieces of embroidery.

During Islamic prayers, worshippers bow, kneel, and prostrate on the ground in humility before God. The only requirement in Islam is that prayers be performed in an area that is clean.

Prayer rugs are not universally used by Muslims, nor specifically required in Islam. But they have become a traditional way for many Muslims to ensure the cleanliness of their place of prayer, and to create an isolated space to concentrate in prayer.
What Are Prayer Rugs, and How Are They Used by Muslims?

It is a rug and that is all it is. clean it as you would clean any rug.

No advertising, no copyrighted material, no personal attacks

MODERATOR OF: Buddhism: Judaism: Paganism:

When in doubt read the TOS MOD LIST FAQ's

Old 09-21-2015, 04:54 PM

Thanks, Woodrow! I will handwash it tonight.

Here is a picture.
Attached Thumbnails
Prayer Rug-unnamed-1-.jpg  

Old 09-21-2015, 05:38 PM

15,511 posts, read 13,289,226 times
Quote:

Here is a picture.

Very nice design. Looks like a better made one.

No advertising, no copyrighted material, no personal attacks

MODERATOR OF: Buddhism: Judaism: Paganism:

When in doubt read the TOS MOD LIST FAQ's

Old 09-21-2015, 05:51 PM

It was $3 and I was stunned. It's gorgeous! I have it in a special place so one family member doesn't see. The other one is accepting.

Old 09-21-2015, 06:47 PM

4,419 posts, read 1,647,307 times
Do u know how to find the Qibla direction?
If not, plz download the Azan app (free) and locate the Qibla.

Old 09-21-2015, 07:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoCardinals View Post
Do u know how to find the Qibla direction?
If not, plz download the Azan app (free) and locate the Qibla.
Thanks for that tip. I'll do that now.

Old 09-21-2015, 07:58 PM

4,419 posts, read 1,647,307 times
No prob

The app spells as "Athan"
Once downloaded, go to prayer tools and follow the easy steps to locate Qibla direction.

Once your location is set up, it's going to prompt whenever it's prayer time.
You can turn off the audio Athan alarm if you think it may disturb other members in the house.

As you were correctly advised, try not to do everything in one shot. Move slow and steady to make solid practice.

According to Islamic scholars, the most important daily Salah is Asr. Start with that n try not to miss it.

Together with establishing Salah, start Loking into giving Zakat (Islamic charity) if you owe it.

Salah and Zakah are the two most important factors after Shahada.

Once your solidify these two basic components, the rest will be easy.

Shaitain will try to influence you and your faith WILL BE tested - so no matter what happens, never leave ISLAM.

All the best to you in this rightous journey that will make us meet our creator with glad tidings. Inshallah. Ameen.

Last edited by GoCardinals; 09-21-2015 at 08:08 PM..

Old 09-22-2015, 04:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoCardinals View Post
No prob

The app spells as "Athan"
Once downloaded, go to prayer tools and follow the easy steps to locate Qibla direction.

Once your location is set up, it's going to prompt whenever it's prayer time.
You can turn off the audio Athan alarm if you think it may disturb other members in the house.

As you were correctly advised, try not to do everything in one shot. Move slow and steady to make solid practice.

According to Islamic scholars, the most important daily Salah is Asr. Start with that n try not to miss it.

Together with establishing Salah, start Loking into giving Zakat (Islamic charity) if you owe it.

Salah and Zakah are the two most important factors after Shahada.

Once your solidify these two basic components, the rest will be easy.

Shaitain will try to influence you and your faith WILL BE tested - so no matter what happens, never leave ISLAM.

All the best to you in this rightous journey that will make us meet our creator with glad tidings. Inshallah. Ameen.
That app is awesome! Thank you again.

That's so true... I left regrettably in 2010 after being bullied by some people. I remember my grandma saying (although she was Catholic, she supported my decision, learned about Islam, and gave me reminders - this was way before I had a smart phone!), "You should never let anyone bully you out of something you believe in. People bully me all the time for my beliefs, but I ignore them and you should too. You should practice what is in your heart." She was right and looking back, I regretted it. Now that I'm doing things slowly, I won't let anyone sway me, but I am also very quiet about it too. I am a lot different at 26 than I was at 21. Nan's words haven't left my mind.

After something really bad happening, then I began reading the Qur'an again, and after starting looking inside myself, I realized I was wrong to let others sway me and for leaving the peace I had felt. Reading has been slowly healing. I will start with Asr and look into Zakat. I'm excited to learn about everything and start on my journey again.

Thank you for all of your help. And thanks to Woodrow as well!

Old 09-22-2015, 04:13 PM

120 posts, read 107,433 times
Quote:

Here is a picture.
What is that electric wire?
Is your Rug an Irug?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Islam