U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Islam
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-25-2015, 05:01 AM

417 posts, read 448,438 times

Advertisements

What do you think about the muslim marriage crisis? It is not as publicized as others. According to research, New York City has too many educated,beautiful women making it impossible for women to find good partners. The majority of colleges in the US are predominantly women making it very difficult for women to find anyone so nationally it is a problem. This is happening in many countries not just the US. Apparently, Orthodox Jewish women in New York city and Mormons in Utah also have this issue.

How are muslims addressing the issue when men and women are separated? People also think a women is desparate if she says she wants a husband. Relatives and friends don't help because they want to "save" the good guys for their daughters. Also, most muslim men want a young hijabi girl from overseas leaving women in the west with too few options.

For muslim women over 35 it is impossible!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2015, 04:06 PM

1,601 posts, read 751,951 times
Wouldn't polygamy make this less of a problem in Islam? Muslim men often have multiple wives.

"No one knows how many Muslims in the U.S. live in polygamous families. But according to academics researching the issue, estimates range from 50,000 to 100,000 people."
Some Muslims in U.S. Quietly Engage in Polygamy : NPR

Other places around the world have many polygamous marriages where men have multiple wives. It is estimated that as many as 20,000 polygamous Muslim marriages exist in the UK.

Why are women not allowed more than one husband?

Old 09-25-2015, 05:55 PM

21,367 posts, read 24,109,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by juju33312 View Post
Wouldn't polygamy make this less of a problem in Islam? Muslim men often have multiple wives.

"No one knows how many Muslims in the U.S. live in polygamous families. But according to academics researching the issue, estimates range from 50,000 to 100,000 people."
Some Muslims in U.S. Quietly Engage in Polygamy : NPR

Other places around the world have many polygamous marriages where men have multiple wives. It is estimated that as many as 20,000 polygamous Muslim marriages exist in the UK.

Why are women not allowed more than one husband?
Women can't have multiple husbands since the Bible (OT) doesn't allow it and the Quran doesn't allow it either.

Leviticus 18:20
Leviticus 20:10
Qur'an, Sura 4 (An-Nisa), Ayah 129

Old 09-25-2015, 06:32 PM

"Women can't have multiple husbands since the Bible (OT) doesn't allow it and the Quran doesn't allow it either."

What is the reasoning in Islam (since this is an Islamic forum)? I don't find that fair at all. If a man can have multiple wives, the wives should be able to have multiple husbands if they so choose. This would help eliminate adultery, which I think is punishable by death.

Old 09-25-2015, 08:02 PM

21,367 posts, read 24,109,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by juju33312 View Post
"Women can't have multiple husbands since the Bible (OT) doesn't allow it and the Quran doesn't allow it either."

What is the reasoning in Islam (since this is an Islamic forum)? I don't find that fair at all. If a man can have multiple wives, the wives should be able to have multiple husbands if they so choose. This would help eliminate adultery, which I think is punishable by death.
Same reasoning as Christianity.

Old 09-25-2015, 08:49 PM

3,440 posts, read 1,584,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pruzhany View Post
Women can't have multiple husbands since the Bible (OT) doesn't allow it and the Quran doesn't allow it either.

Leviticus 18:20
Leviticus 20:10
Qur'an, Sura 4 (An-Nisa), Ayah 129
As I read it, 4:129 do not apply re prohibition of multiple husbands.
4:129 Ye will not be able to deal equally between (your) wives, however much ye wish (to do so). But turn not altogether away (from one), leaving her as in suspense. If ye do good and keep from evil, lo! Allah is ever Forgiving, Merciful.
Perhaps 4:128 could be applicable, [mine]
4:128 If a woman feareth ill treatment from her husband, or desertion, it is no sin for them twain if they make terms of peace between themselves. Peace is better. But greed [selfishness] hath been made present in the minds (of men) [humans, souls]. If ye do good and keep from evil, lo! Allah is ever Informed of what ye do.

I have not come across any verse in the Quran that specifically prohibit women from marrying more than one husband. [any?] Perhaps it is because of the male chauvinistic nature of the Quran, e.g.
"2:223 Your women are a tilth for you (to cultivate) go to your tilth [how and when] as ye will .." and others,
plus the acknowledged inherent selfishness 4:128 that men just do not give permission for women to marry another husband.

The number of husbands, i.e. 'four' is mentioned in the Quran and this is exploited to the 'hilt' by men. Because no number greater than 1 is mentioned for women, they are not decreed to marry more than one husband.

Old 09-25-2015, 11:43 PM

"Same reasoning as Christianity."

Which is?

Old 09-26-2015, 12:23 AM

3,440 posts, read 1,584,535 times
Quote:
The number of husbands, i.e. 'four' is mentioned in
the Quran and this is exploited to the 'hilt' by men. Because no number greater
than 1 is mentioned for women, they are not decreed to marry more than one
husband.
oops.
In blue above should be "wives."

Old 09-26-2015, 12:55 AM

Moderator cut: Orphaned

I provided evidence that Muslim men often have multiple wives.

Here's more:

"Polygamy in the U.S. is not limited to remote enclaves in the West or breakaway sects once affiliated with the Mormon Church. Several scholars say it's growing among black Muslims in the inner city — and particularly in Philadelphia, which is known for its large orthodox black Muslim community.

No one knows exactly how many people live in polygamous families in the U.S. Estimates from academics researching the issue range from 50,000 to 100,000 people."
Philly's Black Muslims Increasingly Turn to Polygamy : NPR

"The prevalence of polygamy among Muslims living in the West remains a matter of debate. Here is a sampling of what has been reported: As many as thirty thousand Muslim families in France include more than one wife. There are fifteen thousand in Italy and several thousand in Great Britain. Estimates for the United States typically run into the tens of thousands. Even Australia has been forced to crack down on Muslim men looking to meet potential second wives via the internet.

Lack of official curiosity is just one reason for the poor statistics. Practitioners also labor to avoid scrutiny. Two strategies are common. Some Muslim men with additional wives living abroad arrange for relatives to sponsor visas that can bring them to the West without raising red flags. Others find second, third, or even fourth wives locally, sealing the deal in a nikah ceremony conducted by an imam. Because such marriages are performed under the state's radar and have no legal standing, the wives enjoy none of the rights guaranteed to spousal partners."
Take My Wives, Please: Polygamy Heads West :: Middle East Forum

"Hundreds of GTA Muslim men in polygamous marriages -- some with a harem of wives -- are receiving welfare and social benefits for each of their spouses, thanks to the city and province, Muslim leaders say.

Mumtaz Ali, president of the Canadian Society of Muslims, said wives in polygamous marriages are recognized as spouses under the Ontario Family Law Act, providing they were legally married under Muslim laws abroad.

"Polygamy is a regular part of life for many Muslims," Ali said yesterday. "Ontario recognizes religious marriages for Muslims and others."

He estimates "several hundred" GTA husbands in polygamous marriages are receiving benefits. Under Islamic law, a Muslim man is permitted to have up to four spouses."
Muslims claiming cash for numerous wives

"It is estimated that as many as 20,000 polygamous Muslim marriages exist in the UK. In a Channel 4 documentary this week, director Masood Khan will delve into the community of British Muslim polygamists to find out “what makes these people tick” and how a religious group is able to put its own practices above UK law."
The Men with Many Wives: the British Muslims who practise polygamy - Telegraph

Since multiple wives is illegal in most (all?) Western countries, I would expect that estimates are quite low.

Let me remind you where the blind hate comes from:

Quran 22:19-22 “fight and slay the Pagans, seize them, beleaguer them, and lie in wait for them in every stratagem” “for them (the unbelievers) garments of fire shall be cut and there shall be poured over their heads boiling water whereby whatever is in their bowels and skin shall be dissolved and they will be punished with hooked iron rods”

Quran 9:5 "And when the sacred months have passed, then kill the polytheists wherever you find them and capture them and besiege them and sit in wait for them at every place of ambush. But if they should repent, establish prayer, and give zakah, let them [go] on their way. Indeed, Allah is Forgiving and Merciful."

Qur’an 8:12 cp. 8:60 “Instill terror into the hearts of the unbelievers”; “smite above their necks and smite all their finger-tips off them”

"The Prophet had suddenly attacked Bani Mustaliq without warning while they were heedless and their cattle were being watered at the places of water. Their fighting men were killed and their women and children were taken as captives" (Bukhari 46:717)

If I hate, I hate rape and men having sex with children and terrorism and slavery and selling women and slaughtering people who choose their own beliefs and threatening people with eternal horrible torture and sexual mutilation and honor killings, etc.

Last edited by june 7th; 09-26-2015 at 08:35 AM..

Old 09-26-2015, 06:50 AM

4,609 posts, read 4,114,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muffy1 View Post
What do you think about the muslim marriage crisis?
From what I have read, women are generally more religious than men, and religious women of every religion have a hard time finding religious husbands.

The answer is to not take this religious stuff so seriously. I am an Atheist who has been married to a Catholic for 44 years. The only problem is that she may think I worship golf too much.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Islam
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or