U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Islam
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-17-2015, 03:47 PM

2,057 posts, read 1,121,701 times

Advertisements

If one dies in a jihad, does he go directly to Paradise as promised, or does he still have to cross the bridge?

El Nox
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2015, 06:25 PM

15,511 posts, read 13,279,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by El Nox View Post
If one dies in a jihad, does he go directly to Paradise as promised, or does he still have to cross the bridge?

El Nox
I assume you mean in an actual defensive Jihad called for by a legitimate Caliph. (Which we currently do not have)

Keep in mind there is not centralized teaching of Islam a Muslim is obligated to attend. We have no set doctrine that can be considered the Official" teaching of Islam. Most of us try to find what the majority of the scholars believe and evaluate the reasons they believe what they believe.

In regard to your question.

The majority of today's scholars seem to believe:

Quote:
Everyone from Mankind will pass over hell:

Let us look at what Allah Almighty Said in the Noble Quran:

"And certainly We know best those who are most worthy of being burned therein. Not one of you but will pass over it (Hell): this is, with thy Lord, a decree which must be accomplished. (The Noble Quran, 19:70-71)"

"Then shall anyone who has done an atom's weight of good, see it! And anyone who has done an atom's weight of evil, shall see it. (The Noble Quran, 99:7-8)"

As we clearly see from the above Noble Verses, everyone will be shown and held accountable for all of the bad things he/she have done in life.

Passing over hell in Islam means that the person will enter it. But hell, like Heaven, has different levels. Heaven has 500 levels. The Highest Level in Heaven is for the Prophets, the Martyrs, and the Most Righteous of Mankind. The lowest level is for the lowest people of Mankind who barely made it to Heaven, because they were too sinful.

As Allah Almighty clearly mentioned in Noble Verse 4:48 above, He would forgive anything except partnering other gods with Him. So if a Martyr was courageous enough to sacrifice his life for the sake of Allah Almighty, then it is highly possible that Allah Almighty would forgive all of his sins and send him straight to Heaven after a brief pass over Hell. The level of pain for punishment and purification that the Martyr and any other human being would suffer in passing over Hell all depends on what kind of a person he/she was.

Again, it all depends on how much sins the person had committed in his life, and how much Allah Almighty loves him. Allah Almighty clearly Said that everyone of us shall see every atom of good and bad deeds that they did in Noble Verse 99:7-8.
Where do Martyrs go after death?* And will they be judged for their good and bad deeds?
I essentially agree with that. I do believe we all will be punished for our evil deeds, but the level of the punishment may be modified because of anything extraordinary we have done. But no one will get a free pass directly to heaven except the Prophets(PBUT)

No advertising, no copyrighted material, no personal attacks

MODERATOR OF: Buddhism: Judaism: Paganism:

When in doubt read the TOS MOD LIST FAQ's

Old 10-17-2015, 08:25 PM

4,413 posts, read 1,642,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodrow LI View Post
I assume you mean in an actual defensive Jihad called for by a legitimate Caliph. (Which we currently do not have)

Keep in mind there is not centralized teaching of Islam a Muslim is obligated to attend. We have no set doctrine that can be considered the Official" teaching of Islam. Most of us try to find what the majority of the scholars believe and evaluate the reasons they believe what they believe.

In regard to your question.

The majority of today's scholars seem to believe:

I essentially agree with that. I do believe we all will be punished for our evil deeds, but the level of the punishment may be modified because of anything extraordinary we have done. But no one will get a free pass directly to heaven except the Prophets(PBUT)
I second that.
And what I would like to add into it is that Islam does not talk about bad deed, punishment and hell only.

Islam strikes a fair balance of rewards for the good deeds as well.

Islam also talks about good deeds eating up your bad deeds - And Islam also talks about being always hopeful and never give up on Allah.

Our faith is that, scales will be set on the day of judgement - if your good deeds outweigh your bad deeds then you are a strong candidate of attaining Allah's mercy and enter paradise. You may not face any punishment of your bad deeds.

If your bad deeds outweigh your good deeds then you can still have hope from Allah.

And this is why Muslims to their death bed, keep trying to do the good deeds and keep trying to avoid bad deeds.

Islam also categorizes some of the greatest good deeds that are VERY HEAVY in the scale.

A few of these are,
Zikr of Allah and Daily five prayers
Helping, serving, obeying and fully respecting your mother and father.
Practicing patience in hardships
Helping out those who are in debt
Helping the poor and raiding orphans
Doing justice whenever and wherever possible, and being merciful and forgiving to those who may have done injustice to you etc
And obviously, being a martyr.

And on the other hand, Quran also advises to avoid certain sins that are very heavy in the scale

First one, as Woodrow mentioned, is shirk (associating partners with Allah) This sin is not forgiveable and may take one straight to punishment.

Then you have, taking an innocent life. HUGE SIN!

Fornication and Adultery

Consumption of Alcohol and pork, and gambling

Forfeiting the right of others - stealing etc

Speaking lies and back biting -

Creating unrest on earth

Being nasty to your mother and father

In our academic tests, 59% or below is considered Fail.
Islam is easier than that as it desires only 51% score from us to pass the test of this life, as 51% good deeds will outweigh the 49% bad deeds.

Old 10-17-2015, 09:22 PM

3,440 posts, read 1,582,753 times
Quote:
El Nox
Jihad has a range of contexts, but I presume the 'jihad' in the above refer [per current trendings] to actions by SOME Muslims that has terrible evil consequences which is supposedly justified from the perspective of those Muslims.
9:73 [Pickthall] O Prophet! Strive against the disbelievers and the hypocrites! Be harsh with them. Their ultimate abode is hell, a hapless journey's end.

9:73 [Ali Quli] O Prophet! Wage jihad against the faithless and the hypocrites, and be severe with them. Their refuge shall be hell, and it is an evil destination.

I think the proper interpretation is 'wage jihad' as being more precise from the Arabic 'jahidi' a verbal noun from 'jihad'.

As mentioned by Woodrow re 19:70-71, ALL of mankind will go to a "common location" in the Hereafter to be judged, sorted then either 'plucked' to Paradise or sent onward to Hell proper.
So there is no going to Paradise directly for anyone thus still have to 'cross that bridge.'

However those who are martyred are highly ranked and favored by Allah and conferred much greater rewards than the moderates and the laggards Muslims. Note [mine]
4:74. Let those [truer Muslims] fight in the way of Allah who sell the life of this world for the other [paradise]. Whoso [Muslim] fighteth in the way of Allah, be he slain or be he victorious, on him [true Muslim] We shall bestow a vast reward.

Allah do not simply qualify and emphasized 'reward in paradise' as 'vast reward' for the typical average Muslims who keep their duty. Throughout the Quran it is mostly those who fight [jihad] in the Way of Allah who are specifically mentioned for greater rewards. Note [mine]
9:20. Those [Muslims -Muhajjirin] who believe, and have left their homes [emigrate to Medina] and striven with their wealth and their lives in Allah's way are of much greater worth in Allah's sight. These are they [truer Muslims] who are triumphant.
There are many other verses in the Quran that reflect the above.
The above verses are the ones that inspire SOME Muslims to wage jihad against non-Muslims.
The jihadists logic is; since they are fated to die, why not die fighting with a greater chance of going to heaven and getting greater rewards in Paradise committed in serious compliance with the verses in the Quran.

Old 10-18-2015, 03:05 AM

144 posts, read 107,339 times
Quote:

El Nox
You can also be a marthyr without doing any jihad.
According to some verses some people choose as marthyr won't have to cross the bridge and that's what the ulemas believe.

3.169 Think not of those, who are slain in the way of Allah, as dead. Nay, they are living. With their Lord they have provision.
]Jubilant (are they) because of that which Allah hath bestowed upon them of His bounty, rejoicing for the sake of those who have not joined them but are left behind: That there shall no fear come upon them neither shall they grieve.

Other case of marthyrs are those killed for their faith, who called to believe in God but without fighting.

And there came from the uttermost part of the city a man running. He cried: O my people! Follow those who have been sent!
Follow those who ask of you no fee, and who are rightly guided.
Lo! I have believed in your Lord, so hear me!

26 It was said (unto him): Enter paradise. He said: Would that my people knew
With what (munificence) my Lord hath pardoned me and made me of the honoured ones!

(He was killed by the people)

So in those exemples we see that those people are already in Paradise.

Old 10-18-2015, 03:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fazira View Post
You can also be a marthyr without doing any jihad.
According to some verses some people choose as marthyr won't have to cross the bridge and that's what the ulemas believe.

3.169 Think not of those, who are slain in the way of Allah, as dead. Nay, they are living. With their Lord they have provision.
3:169 did not specify they are living in Paradise, i.e. where the virgins are.
They are not dead [rotted away] but 'living' in an intermediary stage [tarry].

17:52. A Day when He will call you and ye will answer with His praise, and ye will think that ye have tarried but a little while.
(Note 1 day in the hereafter is 50,000 Earth years)
There is another verse [don't have it on hand] where they [martyrs] will be called to the common location as per 19:70-71 for sorting and subsequent judgment.

Quote:
Other case of marthyrs are those killed for their faith, who called to believe in God but without fighting.

36.26 It was said (unto him): Enter paradise. He said: Would that my people knew
This is in relation to a parable [similitude] from 36:13, thus not supposed to be a serious decree of Allah.
36:13. Coin for them a similitude: The people of the city when those sent (from Allah) came unto them [the infidels];
Quote:
So in those examples we see that those people are already in Paradise.

The above verses do not reflect martyrs or anyone going directly to Paradise and by passing what Allah stated in 19:70-71 and in other similar verses.
Taken into context 19:70-71 is the relevant in context.

If any jihadists misinterpret 3:169 as immediately going to Paradise it is no big issue for them [they are not going to hell], it is just a matter a delay and waiting for their appointed term, i.e. a delay in getting their reward.

The Quran should have made it more clearer.

Old 10-18-2015, 04:32 AM

Here a relevant verse re a transition from death to Paradise.
39:42. Allah receiveth (men's) souls at the time of their death, and that (soul) which dieth not (yet) in its sleep. He keepeth that (soul) for which He hath ordained death and dismisseth the rest till an appointed term. Lo herein verily are portents for people who take thought.

Thus those martyrs who died not in their sleep but where their appointed time is not yet due may have to wait, i.e. Allah send them living [tarry] [3:169] somewhere with 'provisions' provided.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Islam
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or