Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Islam
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-27-2015, 02:17 PM

3,190 posts, read 3,185,549 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetgraphics View Post
Well, if I recall the New Testament, there is no section that advocates KILLING or BOMBING. There are sections about loving one's enemy, turning the other cheek, and forgiveness. (Your other points are derived from the OLD TESTAMENT which were bypassed by the teachings of Jesus. Those criticisms would be against Jews that still enforce those laws... if any.)
Are you a Christian? If so, you should actually read your Holy Books. Jesus explicitly says his teachings DO NOT invalidate or replace the Old Testament. If you're a Christian you have two Holy Books, not one. If the New Testament invalidated the Old Testament it would mean that God is fallible, which would mean he isn't all knowing or omnipotent, which would the entire religion is a lie.

Old 10-27-2015, 02:35 PM

2,851 posts, read 2,302,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MordinSolus View Post
Oh, so the Old Testament is to be ignored? Even though Jesus said not to ignore it? You're cherrypicking beliefs, just like the Muslim extremists.
And it wasn't long ago that Christians were terrorizing the world with their Crusades. It wasn't long ago at all that Christians were terrorizing America, bombing clinics and murdering doctors.

How about anything? How about fighting ISIS? ISIS is defiling holy grounds and artifacts and murdering Muslims without cause but no one in the Muslim world is willing to do anything about it? They supposedly don't tolerate extremism but they sure aren't willing to do anything to stop it.

Most Muslims put their faith above nationality and borders, so why do they allow extremists to tarnish their faith?

How many of those shooters were motivated by Christianity? I can't think of any. They're almost universally white, male losers who can't get laid. Nothing to do with Christianity.
All religions are stupid, but not all of them are a global safety threat.
The problem is with the rule set of Islam.

The Old Testament, just like the Bible or Quran, is only a set of somewhat cryptic and sometimes contradictory statements. It's the interpretation of it - known as Talmud - that sets the rules of behavior. And these rules have been set centuries ago to specifically exclude the things like stoning, slavery etc. Spinosa wasn't stoned to death for blasphemy, he was ostracized. A Jew who becomes a Buddhist or a pagan isn't being killed for idolatry by the fellow Jews anywhere in the world. Despite a very clear direction in the Old Testament. And while I don't know when the last stoning of a cheating Jewish wife had happened, I can guarantee you it had not been a pressing issue for centuries (stoning, not cheating )Christianity (the major branches) has also amended it's rule sets in the past two hundred years to specifically exclude sanctioned murder.

This did not happen within Islam, all the heavily religious Islamic countries practice Sharia just as they were in the Middle Ages.

Also, both the Judaism and Christianity have very different views towards the "infidels" than Islam does. According to Judaism, a non-Jew can become "righteous" (their version of going to heaven) by simply following the Ten Commandments and generally being a good person, regardless of their beliefs (a Jew must work harder for the same goal, complying with over 600 rules). The Christians generally believe that non-Christians will not go to heaven, and are often engaging in proselytizing, but no mainstream Christian denomination today advocates forced conversions. In contrast, Jihad against the infidels is declared the sacred duty of any Muslim.

Islam today is where Judaism was in the days of King David, or Christianity was during Middle Ages. And it shows no signs of changing.

Are there moderate Muslims ? Sure. But are they really devout Muslims ?

Old 10-27-2015, 02:36 PM

2,511 posts, read 2,818,180 times
Quote:
Are you a Christian? If so, you should actually read your Holy Books. Jesus explicitly says his teachings DO NOT invalidate or replace the Old Testament. If you're a Christian you have two Holy Books, not one. If the New Testament invalidated the Old Testament it would mean that God is fallible, which would mean he isn't all knowing or omnipotent, which would mean the entire religion is a lie.
Everyone's is a lie.

Old 10-27-2015, 02:37 PM

1,261 posts, read 950,961 times
Quote:
Are you a Christian? If so, you should actually read your Holy Books. Jesus explicitly says his teachings DO NOT invalidate or replace the Old Testament. If you're a Christian you have two Holy Books, not one. If the New Testament invalidated the Old Testament it would mean that God is fallible, which would mean he isn't all knowing or omnipotent, which would the entire religion is a lie.
Of course what Jesus said about the OT has been interpreted in different ways. The belief that Jesus fulfilled the old covenant is not a fringe idea.

Old 10-27-2015, 02:40 PM

2,605 posts, read 2,711,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gouligann View Post
In strict muslim families. that girl who "dates" would be killed by her family for shaming them. At least her father loves her more than he worries about being shamed.

I bet most of those people in that video don't DARE say those things about themselves inside their Mosques, in front of their leaders, or even to many other muslim people.
They are on YouTube video. The whole world can see and hear them including their community leaders, parents and other Muslim people. Why would you think something on Youtube is privet information LOL

Old 10-27-2015, 02:48 PM

3,137 posts, read 2,708,204 times
ALL these people spoke with American accents, although several claimed (or hinted) they weren't American. Something doesn't seem right about this. There weren't any Muslims from other countries being represented. We don't have a full picture here.

Old 10-27-2015, 03:33 PM

27,142 posts, read 15,318,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AminWi View Post
I'd just like to point out that FGC and FGM are cultural practices, not religious practices. There are no religious texts in Islam, Christianity or Judaism that support either practice. In some countries that practice it, it is more common among the Christian population. In others, it is more common among the Muslim population. There are places where it is also practiced in the Jewish community.

I just want to point out that male circumcision, on the other hand, is mentioned in the OT and the Sunnah (but not the Quran). It is practiced widely in both Islam and Judaism and even here in the US against boys who are too young to make the decision for themselves. This isn't an issue that affects girls only.

As if the two were really comparable.

Old 10-27-2015, 03:42 PM

1,373 posts, read 1,655,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
Saw this recently and thought it was pretty good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JMQjyRc7eiY
I saw it too. I really like it, since it shows a variety of Muslims who all seem - well like regular people. Friendly, down to earth, and with a sense of humor about themselves and other people's perceptions of them.

Some are more conservative than others it would seem, because they are wearing traditional attire. Just like some Christian women wear long dresses and don't cut their hair. Some Jews wear beards and yarmulkes.

Yeah, I liked it. Salem

ETA - I am a Christian. Still practicing, but I have rejected the Fundamentalism of my family of origin.
I think it is Fundamentalism that causes most of the problems - at least within the three Abrahamic religions.

Old 10-27-2015, 03:49 PM

828 posts, read 908,203 times
Oh, I see. They are "outliers". So is Muhammad Ali, Snoop Dogg, Dr. Oz, supermodel Iman, Mike Tyson, Kareem Abdul Jabbar, Dodi Fayed (he was good enough for Princess Di), and Ice Cube. So are the neighbors, colleagues and friends referenced in these threads on city-data. Oh, and the posters on city-data are "outliers" too. You know who else is an "outlier"? All those people in the countless peaceful videos on youtube.

Because, damn it, they are not real Muslims.

OP, thank you for the video. I enjoyed it. I also clicked on a bunch of the other suggested BuzzFeed videos. They were lovely. And don't let hateful people make you feel wrong for posting it. Like I've said a million times on city-data, if you're looking for a reason to hate Jews, Muslims, Christians, gays or whomever, you will find it.

One more thing. This "they don't do enough" bull? Where were all the good white people when slavery was alive and well? Very few took a stand. Very few took a stand in Nazi Germany. Don't you people watch "What would you do"? The majority of us don't take stands for injustice. Most of us are too scared. It's the few that stand up for a stranger. That's been the way of the world since the beginning of time. Most people either don't care or are too scared. I'm betting all are just as scared of ISIL as you!

Old 10-27-2015, 03:59 PM

5,461 posts, read 3,235,064 times
Quote:
If you're a Christian you're supposed to obey the Old Testament. That's what Jesus said. It's not a learning aid, it's the foundation of the Christian faith.

You should do some research before condescending to others. .
Jesus specifically prevented a stoning from occurring. He abhorred violence. He is a total break from the Old Testament. He sent a giant shockwave through the traditional OT Jewish community.

The OT is not the foundation of Christian faith. Jesus is. You should actually learn before you condemn.

Quote:
Bill Ayers was a Communist when his group bombed buildings, not a Democrat. And as atheists have no central tenants of belief there is no way to define all atheists in this way, let alone by the actions of one tiny group of Communists.
Communist... Democrat... Is there really much of a difference these days? Ayers preaches the exact same ideological garbage the Democratic Party does.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Islam