U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Islam
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-28-2015, 01:46 PM

19,861 posts, read 14,741,667 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
As someone who lived in Indonesia for nearly a decade, I can say without any hesitation that your statement is total b.s.
A little bit repetitive but it bears repeating:

Well, you must know then that currently 97.5% of females from Muslim families in Indonesia enjoy having their Clitorises sliced off. The Imams there push it, even if apologist here say it's not part of Islam When the largest Muslim population of the world says its part of Islam I would say they have the numbers to back it up it.

"the Indonesian Ulema Council ruled that it favors FGM"

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Preval...ntry#Indonesia

In the the other part of the Moderate Muslim world Police attack a Gay pride parade. It wouldn't be so bad except Turkey has been held up as a modern Liberal Ideal to many and they are currently going backward

"Istanbul (CNN)Although the gay pride parade has happened in peace for at least 13 years in Istanbul, on Sunday the parade was interrupted by police who fired pepper spray and rubber pellets at thousands when they arrived to march."

http://www.cnn.com/2015/06/28/world/...lgbt-violence/

Old 10-28-2015, 01:49 PM

1,149 posts, read 989,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LS Jaun View Post

Well, you must know then that currently 97.5% of females from Muslim families in Indonesia enjoy having their Clitorises sliced off. The Imams there push it, even if apologist here say it's not part of Islam When the largest Muslim population of the world says its part of Islam I would say they have the numbers to back it up it.

In the the other part of the Moderate Muslim world Police attack a Gay pride parade. It wouldn't be so bad except Turkey has been held up as a modern Liberal Ideal to many and they are currently going backward

"Istanbul (CNN)Although the gay pride parade has happened in peace for at least 13 years in Istanbul, on Sunday the parade was interrupted by police who fired pepper spray and rubber pellets at thousands when they arrived to march."

Turkish police fire pepper spray at gay pride parade - CNN.com
No wonder sex is no fun for them after they're sliced off.

Old 10-28-2015, 01:56 PM

2,839 posts, read 1,698,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shanv3 View Post
All religions advocate and practice violence. Muslims gets the most spotlight though and get singled out.

The Buddhist King Ashoka waged war which cost millions of lives before embracing Buddhism. The recently ended Sri Lankan conflict was more of a religious war between Christians and Buddhists then ethno linguistic.

In Hindu history, God himself supervised the war in which over 10 million people perished . British have caused the most deaths in the name of Colonization. World wars killed so many people.
Do you know the difference between descriptive and proscriptive text ?

The violence against blasphemers / idolaters / adulterers etc. is the thing of ancient past for both Christianity and Judaism. Buddhism too, for all I know.

Old 10-28-2015, 01:57 PM

2,839 posts, read 1,698,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3~Shepherds View Post
When was the last shooting/bombing of an abortion clinic or doctor killed? Are you reading from the OT or NT?
Also, how many of these events happened ?

Old 10-28-2015, 01:58 PM

55,696 posts, read 74,690,590 times
Before. Say u r you really should read the Quran all of it

Old 10-28-2015, 02:05 PM

1,256 posts, read 698,286 times
Quote:

I am not going to defend the practice of FGM (or infant circumcision, for that matter), but this is not accurate. In Indonesia the procedure is largely ceremonial, and a small nick is made with a needle. The clitoris most certainly is not sliced off.

Old 10-28-2015, 02:10 PM

15,511 posts, read 13,305,624 times
Quote:

Turkish police fire pepper spray at gay pride parade - CNN.com
Progress is being made. It has been illegal for several years now, but persists although in a less damaging form. Insha Allah (God willing) the people will learn it is not part of Islam and the practice will die out soon.

Quote:
Female genital mutilation persists in Indonesia
Marie Dhumieres, GlobalPost 10:27 a.m. EDT April 16, 2015
indonesia_FGM

JAKARTA, Indonesia — Komariah says she'll show us how so-called female circumcision is done. She grabs a tangerine on the kitchen table, peels it and takes out a segment. She picks up a huge knife from a shelf. Then she bursts out laughing.

"I'm just kidding," she says, before taking a much smaller pair of scissors. She sits at the table, holds the tangerine segment up, and carefully makes a small incision at the top. "That's it!" She laughs again. Her daughter watches, shyly smiling. She was "circumcised" three days after she was born, 13 years ago.

At a midwives clinic in Jakarta, Sri Helmi Yuli is very firm. "Things have changed since then," she says. "We used to cut a bit of the clitoris hood. And yes, there was a lot of blood. That used to be the right way to do it."

Not anymore, she says. In the past 10 years, she says social campaigning by health workers — as well as government regulations — have forced the practice of female genital mutilation into the fringes. It is no longer an accepted practice in Indonesia. While the worst forms have largely fallen out of custom, the subtler practice still persists in potentially harmful ways.

"Now we only scratch the hood with a needle, drawing no blood," says Sri Helmi Yuli, who is the head of the clinic. She tries to convince her patients that even this is not necessary, but says traditional beliefs in the benefits of the practice are stronger. "They see imams on TV saying they should do it and that influences them. So I just do the scratch."

While Indonesia is the largest Muslim Country, they are not the majority of Muslims. Also unter both Sunni and Shi'a an Imam does not have the right to issue a Fatwah (S statement of what is permitted or forbidden) under Sunni that has to be a Mufti under Shi'a it has to be an ayatoulah or a Mullah.

National tribal practices are very difficult to eliminate and in some areas many people really do believe female circumcision is required in Islam.

No advertising, no copyrighted material, no personal attacks

MODERATOR OF: Buddhism: Judaism: Paganism:

When in doubt read the TOS MOD LIST FAQ's

Old 10-28-2015, 02:23 PM
bg7

7,697 posts, read 8,185,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodrow LI View Post
Progress is being made. It has been illegal for several years now, but persists although in a less damaging form. Insha Allah (God willing) the people will learn it is not part of Islam and the practice will die out soon.

While Indonesia is the largest Muslim Country, they are not the majority of Muslims. Also unter both Sunni and Shi'a an Imam does not have the right to issue a Fatwah (S statement of what is permitted or forbidden) under Sunni that has to be a Mufti under Shi'a it has to be an ayatoulah or a Mullah.

National tribal practices are very difficult to eliminate and in some areas many people really do believe female circumcision is required in Islam.

With all due respect, it will change because humans want it to change and spread education and knowledge about it. Not because a God is willing. Every single country on earth that leaves things in God's hands is a complete mess. We're here now, that's all we know. We have to sort out these things. Leaving it up to God is not a plan of action.

Educational policies are the best method, and its good to see people are out there spreading the word about the negative practice of FGM.

Old 10-28-2015, 02:44 PM

18,678 posts, read 23,289,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texan2yankee View Post
I have a very good Muslim friend for over 10 years, from the country formerly known as Yugoslavia. She is a relatively recent immigrant, married, two kids, wears Western clothes, is good at her job, loves her heritage, and never mentions her religion to others unless they ask...just like the rest of us Americans. She is a great addition to our country and will always be.

When I lived on the East Coast, I knew many Muslims who were as you describe. Law abiding, productive, kept religious matters to themselves except when observing a holiday, and patriotic.

My nephew serves in the US Navy. His closest friend is an Islamic guy. And his parents were also great additions to our country. I met them during his graduation ceremony in Chicago.

We have terrorists in America. Ever hear of the KKK? Studies have been done about the religious affiliations of Klan members, and an overwhelming majority are Baptist - historically and now.
Do good Baptists castrate people, mutilate them, hang them, bomb their churches? Of course not.

No. But many Klan leaders - Grand Dragons etc were also Baptist deacons and pastors.

We need to examine the terrorism that is taking place in our country by Americans. The KKK would be the most logical place to start.

There is also the fact that we don't always choose our own religion. Sometimes it's a function of ethnic background or geography.
And not everyone wants to convert to another religion.

If your ancestors came from Scandinavian, parts of Germany or Slovakia - you are likely to be Lutheran. If your ancestors are from Italy the Republic of Ireland, or Poland - Roman Catholic.
Eastern Europe - Orthodox or Jewish. England - Episcopalian, Congregationalist etc.

The Roman Catholic church is officially against homosexual "behavior". Most Christian religions, are as is Orthodox Judaism.
Yet there are many, many people who were born into those faiths who are not homophobic, support Gay rights, including marriage - and yet do not leave the faith tradition of their parents.

So, expecting all Islamic people to stop being Muslim when they come to the US - is just not likely to happen.

Old 10-28-2015, 02:47 PM

18,678 posts, read 23,289,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
Before. Say u r you really should read the Quran all of it

Have you read the Bible? All of it? I have.

Because I have. And while I love the Bible, there are some disturbing accounts and edicts contained within.

Start with Genesis 19:6-8, where Lott offers his daughters to two visitors in order to stave off a home invasion. Offers them for sex.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Islam
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or