Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Islam
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2016, 06:35 AM

4,612 posts, read 4,892,143 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodrow LI View Post
On a lighter note and to show Islam is about joy and happiness and sharing. While there is disagreement over Wharnsby's light approach to Islam, his Nasheeds are quite lovely and do show that one can be a Muslim without being a sourpuss.

That is a very good song and I really like his other one "What Did I Do Today" which someone else had posted some time ago.

So why would some Muslims not like these songs? It would be like a devout Christian not liking "Jesus Loves Me" because it is too simple and light-hearted.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2016, 07:20 AM

15,501 posts, read 17,066,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hiker45 View Post
That is a very good song and I really like his other one "What Did I Do Today" which someone else had posted some time ago.

So why would some Muslims not like these songs? It would be like a devout Christian not liking "Jesus Loves Me" because it is too simple and light-hearted.
Wharnsby is disliked by some Muslims because he often uses instruement Music in his Nasheed and also Nasheeds are to be prayers.

While he calls them Nasheeds, they are technically considered songs. I do differ from many Muslims in my liking Warnsby's Nasheeds. But then again I have very severe hearing problems and can not hear musical tones. My hearing is limited to a very narrow frequency range. It is very probable Wharnsby sounds much different to me than to most people.

Last edited by Woodrow LI; 01-02-2016 at 08:16 AM.. Reason: Typo corrected

Old 01-02-2016, 08:11 AM

4,612 posts, read 4,892,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodrow LI View Post
Wharnsby is disliked by some Muslims because he often uses instruement Music in his Nasheed and also Nasheeds are to be prayers.

That's interesting. Anyway, these people seem to approve of his music and could anyone be unhappy about that?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6TScKi0lqwg

Old 01-02-2016, 08:22 AM

15,501 posts, read 17,066,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hiker45 View Post

There is considerable differences of opinion as to what is permitted in Music. The majority consensus is that except for drums and Duffs all other Musical instruments are forbidden in Nasheeds.

For other forms of Music there is no majority opinion as to what if any music instruments are permitted.

Old 01-03-2016, 07:03 AM

1,601 posts, read 1,163,840 times
“Bukhari, Volume 7, Book 69, Number 494v: Narrated Abu ‘Amir or Abu Malik Al-Ash’ari: that he heard the Prophet saying, “From among my followers there will be some people who will consider illegal sexual intercourse, the wearing of silk, the drinking of alcoholic drinks and the use of musical instruments, as lawful. And there will be some people who will stay near the side of a mountain and in the evening their shepherd will come to them with their sheep and ask them for something, but they will say to him, ‘Return to us tomorrow.’ Allah will destroy them during the night and will let the mountain fall on them, and He will transform the rest of them into monkeys and pigs and they will remain so till the Day of Resurrection.”

“Anas ibn Malik related from the Prophet (saws) that, “two cursed sounds are that of the musical instrument(mizmaar) played on the occasion of joy and grace, and the woeful wailing upon the occasion of adversity.”

The hope I have is that the younger Muslims are turning their backs on forbidden happiness and Islam and are enjoying Western values. They want to LIVE and be HAPPY, not SUFFER and DIE. Many Muslim girls wear scarves, but with piles of make-up which shows they are not following Islam but instead want to be sexy to men despite Islam.

Old 01-03-2016, 09:58 AM

6,115 posts, read 3,083,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slamiyyaat View Post
There is no single word in the Quran that says musical instruments or the wearing of silk are forbidden.
The Quran is the only trustee source that no muslim can suspect in.

illegal sexual intercourse is forbidden in the Quran
losing the mind is also forbidden in the Quran

So, it is impossible that those people will be true muslims since they justify adultery and drinking wine.

Now the Quran says that the prophet will make the good things lawful, and he will forbid the bad things, so we have to accept the hadithes that does not contradict the Quran as well.

Silk is lawful for women, and (in some cases) for some men.
Music might be the same.

But any way, it is joyful to suffer for the sake of your beloved ones.

May God allow us to suffer for His sake.
There is nothing to suffer.
We try to live our lives by a code which gives us peace and hope.

And it's our faith that anything and everything that's forbidden upon us is good for us. Allah knows and we know not.

And I don't think we suffer or miss out on anything when we try to follow our deen and try to stay away from what's forbidden, which includes but not limited to, associating partners with Allah, lying, stealing, cheating, deceiving, drinking alcohol n doing recreational drugs, eating pork, gambling, back-biting, breaking the law of the land where we live, cussing and using profanity, disrespecting the faith others, forefeiting someone's rights, taking the lives of any innocent human being, wasting resources etc. All these things are forbidden in Islam and we happily stay away from it without having to suffer from anything.

Last edited by GoCardinals; 01-03-2016 at 10:26 AM..

Old 01-04-2016, 12:08 AM

3,440 posts, read 2,642,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slamiyyaat View Post
There is no single word in the Quran that says musical instruments or the wearing of silk are forbidden.
The Quran is the only trustee source that no muslim can suspect in.
Not sure if you are a Quranist into Quranism or you are a Sunni/Shia.
Quranism (Arabic: القرآنية‎; al-Qur'āniyya) is an Islamic view that holds the Qur'an to be the most authentic criterion in Islam.
Qur'anists reject the religious authority of the Hadith.
This is in contrast to the Shia, Sunni, and Ibadi forms of Islam, which view the Hadith as essential to religious practice.

If you are a Quranist, then you can reject the Hadiths and it is true the Quran do not say specifically musical instruments or the wearing of silk are forbidden.

The Quran discourages Muslims to get too involved with earthly and material luxuries but some over zealous Muslims then went to far in interpreting this point by excluding musical instruments and this ended as a Hadiths.
It is the same with stoning to death for adultery which is not in the Quran, except some over-zealous Muslim[s] insisted and included such a rule in the Hadiths. Such is the weakness of the Hadiths.
The Hadiths should provide guidance and support whatever is within the Quran and should not add [Bidah] to the Quran.

However if you are a Shia or Sunni [the largest number of Muslims] then you have no choice but to obey the accepted Hadiths.
The Hadiths rejected the use of musical instruments. The vocal chords and mouth should be considered as musical instruments [albeit natural] as it produce music as any musical instruments.

Personally I believe the Quran is the most authentic criterion in Islam [in principle it must be] but I believe the Hadiths need not be rejected but they are only relevant where they align/agree totally with the Quran.

However if you are a Sunni, you have no choice but to accept all the recognized Sunni Hadiths. Therefore all Sunnis should not recite Nasheeds in a musical tone using the throat, vocal chords and mouth as a musical instrument.
Otherwise from the Sunni point of view, Allah will not be pleased with you if you sing the verses instead of reciting it verbally.

Last edited by Continuum; 01-04-2016 at 12:20 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Islam