U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Islam
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 11-21-2015, 10:46 AM
 
1,601 posts, read 757,859 times
Reputation: 435

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoCardinals View Post
Don't you think it MAY have something to do with their CULTURE rather than their "RELIGION"?

Here are a couple of another ones, (simple YT search). There are tons of em on YT, and they are all real!
Yes, I think you are on to something. Islam demands the Muslim wedding in Rabat, Morocco. Culture ignores Islam and is represented by the videos. The bride, groom and attendees will roast in hell.

The second video looked like an Indian wedding (Hindu?)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 11-21-2015, 11:51 AM
 
Location: Logan Township, Minnesota
15,511 posts, read 13,342,916 times
Reputation: 7407
Quote:
Originally Posted by juju33312 View Post
In reality:

" (The mosque) should be a place where community social functions can take place with Islamic guidelines whether it is an Iftar party, eid party, marriage, or aqeeqa ceremony that takes place. It should be a place where Muslim men can socialize with other Muslim men and women with women, young boys with young boys, and girls with girls. Not necessarily in the prayer area but, in other areas of the mosque. "
ISLAM-USA - Roles of a Mosque in a Muslim Community

"By early 2009, Yusuf Mosque opened its doors for the first time to the community for prayers, lectures and socializing."
Beautiful Mosque Pictures
That is more of an Islamic center that contains a Mosque. A Mosque alone consists of a prayer room and may also have a room for men to do the Wadu (Washing ) and another for the women to do Wadu. It chould contain no furniture except possibly chairs for the disabled and elderly. there should be sparse non-distracting decorations or none.

I can not say much about the Mosques in Morocco although I lived there for a few years I never entered a Mosque as I was a very Evangelical Christian at the time. I have only been in about 10 Mosques in the US all were single rooms. The Mosque I had contained Quite a bit including a library. Sadly I could not afford to continue with it. The monthly upkeep cost,and mortgage was too expensive for me. I had to let it go into foreclosure. I believe it is now a hunting lodge.
__________________
When posting as a MOD my posts will be in red

No advertising, no copyrighted material, no personal attacks


MODERATOR OF: Buddhism: Judaism: Paganism:

When in doubt read the TOS MOD LIST FAQ's
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-21-2015, 10:05 PM
 
4,436 posts, read 1,667,835 times
Reputation: 1549
Quote:
Originally Posted by juju33312 View Post
Yes, I think you are on to something. Islam demands the Muslim wedding in Rabat, Morocco. Culture ignores Islam and is represented by the videos. The bride, groom and attendees will roast in hell.

The second video looked like an Indian wedding (Hindu?)
Don't worry about others being roasted in hell... worry about your own self.
Everyone is responsible for his actions - whether Muslim or not.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-21-2015, 10:08 PM
 
4,436 posts, read 1,667,835 times
Reputation: 1549
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoCUBS1 View Post
So this is simply cultural?

359 rules related to marriage and its ceremonies. Rules relating to marriage and its ceremonies | A Code of Ethics for Muslim Men and Women | Books on Islam and Muslims | Al-Islam.org

Some rules relating to women -

337 - Question: Is it allowed to be present in wedding ceremonies in which there are musical instruments, drums, dancing or singing going on, if it is a wedding of someone in the family, or we are obliged to go?

Answer: It is haram to take part in gatherings in which there are vain and futile things going on just because it is a relative’s wedding does not make it permissible.

284 – Rule: According to Ihtiyat Wajib, it is not permitted for women to dance anywhere, whether it is at wedding parties, birthdays, etc… and the only exception is the dancing of the woman for her husband.

Therefore: Women are not permitted to dance at wedding parties, etc… even if non-Mahram men are not present.

342 – Question: Is it permissible to listen to certain kinds of music with the intention that listening to them is not for vain and entertaining purposes? For example, music that is said to be good to calm the nerves or music that some doctors recommend as a cure, or that form of music which has been composed for wars – in which the aim and purpose of them is not for vain acts?

Answer: It is haram to listen to any kind of sound that the general public would consider as music.
To find and then then act upong what is haram and what is not haram in Islam, is the responsibility of every individual Muslim.

How someone celebrates wedding, is not the biggest thing a Muslim has to worry about - there are more important things for a Muslim to care about.

So, you don't have to boil your blood whether the marriage ceremony was haram or not.
Everyone is responsible for his own actions - whether Muslim or not.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-22-2015, 04:30 PM
 
4,436 posts, read 1,667,835 times
Reputation: 1549
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoCUBS1 View Post
So this is simply cultural?

359 rules related to marriage and its ceremonies. Rules relating to marriage and its ceremonies | A Code of Ethics for Muslim Men and Women | Books on Islam and Muslims | Al-Islam.org

Some rules relating to women -

337 - Question: Is it allowed to be present in wedding ceremonies in which there are musical instruments, drums, dancing or singing going on, if it is a wedding of someone in the family, or we are obliged to go?

Answer: It is haram to take part in gatherings in which there are vain and futile things going on just because it is a relative’s wedding does not make it permissible.

284 – Rule: According to Ihtiyat Wajib, it is not permitted for women to dance anywhere, whether it is at wedding parties, birthdays, etc… and the only exception is the dancing of the woman for her husband.

Therefore: Women are not permitted to dance at wedding parties, etc… even if non-Mahram men are not present.

342 – Question: Is it permissible to listen to certain kinds of music with the intention that listening to them is not for vain and entertaining purposes? For example, music that is said to be good to calm the nerves or music that some doctors recommend as a cure, or that form of music which has been composed for wars – in which the aim and purpose of them is not for vain acts?

Answer: It is haram to listen to any kind of sound that the general public would consider as music.
These are the opinions of some scholars - I don't know who they are and what are their qualifications but what thing I do know is that no Muslim is perfect. We all have our short comings; however, a Muslim has to worry about much bigger things then this kind of a wedding celebration.

So you don't have to boil your blood over it. Let them have their wedding the way they want it, and they will be answerable if they are doing anything impressible.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-22-2015, 06:20 PM
 
1,601 posts, read 757,859 times
Reputation: 435
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoCardinals View Post
Don't worry about others being roasted in hell... worry about your own self.
Everyone is responsible for his actions - whether Muslim or not.
Actually, since I don't believe in hell. I'm not worried. But many Muslims are. They live a life full of guilt and confusion and hate and evasion. What I really don't like is the terrorism and slaughter and rape and slavery and human rights abuses in the name of such nonsense. And, the children. I see the videos of the children being taught the nonsense and the hate and I worry for their safety and sanity and what their lives will be.

And the women. The ones who really have no understanding of the world and are cowered by men. Beaten, raped, sexually mutilated, stoned, whipped, treated like dogs. I worry for them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-25-2015, 11:52 AM
 
Location: Logan Township, Minnesota
15,511 posts, read 13,342,916 times
Reputation: 7407
Quote:
Originally Posted by juju33312 View Post
Actually, since I don't believe in hell. I'm not worried. But many Muslims are. They live a life full of guilt and confusion and hate and evasion. What I really don't like is the terrorism and slaughter and rape and slavery and human rights abuses in the name of such nonsense. And, the children. I see the videos of the children being taught the nonsense and the hate and I worry for their safety and sanity and what their lives will be.

And the women. The ones who really have no understanding of the world and are cowered by men. Beaten, raped, sexually mutilated, stoned, whipped, treated like dogs. I worry for them.
Perhaps you know Muslims that live a life filled with confusion, fear guilt etc, but so far I have never met any.

As for Children learning the Qur'an. Children that learn the Qur'an are only taught the correct pronunciation words, they are not taught interpretations or commentaries. We have to seek those out our self when we get older, as we each are responsible for what we learn and have an obligation to verify the truth of it.

So far no one has ever been able to convince me the Qur'an teaches terrorism and slaughter and rape and slavery and human rights abuses.

I will agree that some Muslim men do abuse women, but even when I lived in Islamic Nations as a Christian I found it to be less prevalent than what I have found in Non-Muslim nations.
__________________
When posting as a MOD my posts will be in red

No advertising, no copyrighted material, no personal attacks


MODERATOR OF: Buddhism: Judaism: Paganism:

When in doubt read the TOS MOD LIST FAQ's

Last edited by Woodrow LI; 11-25-2015 at 12:08 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-26-2015, 01:04 AM
 
Location: Not-a-Theist
3,440 posts, read 1,598,619 times
Reputation: 461
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodrow LI View Post
So far no one has ever been able to convince me the Qur'an teaches terrorism and slaughter and rape and slavery and human rights abuses.
Note this video,


Count how many times the player wearing light-colored-pant passes the ball?



https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vJG698U2Mvo




Note the Psychology of Denial.
https://www.psychologytoday.com/blog...-actually-work


https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Denial


http://psychcentral.com/lib/15-commo...se-mechanisms/

Last edited by Continuum; 11-26-2015 at 01:17 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-26-2015, 10:29 AM
 
Location: Logan Township, Minnesota
15,511 posts, read 13,342,916 times
Reputation: 7407
Quote:
Originally Posted by Continuum View Post
Note this video,


Count how many times the player wearing light-colored-pant passes the ball?



https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vJG698U2Mvo




Note the Psychology of Denial.
https://www.psychologytoday.com/blog...-actually-work


https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Denial


15 Common Defense Mechanisms | Psych Central
Not exactly the same thing.

I see different factors at work. If the Qur'an were a stand alone source of Islam, you would have a very strong arguement. but it is not. to understand Islam one must read beyond the Qur'an and learn what each Surah is relating to. There are basically 38 different surah each rendered from 3 different perspectives. In addition each surah should be read as a complete book in itself and understood in relation to the Message of the Qur'an which is summed up in:

:1. Surah Al-Fatihah
In the Name of Allah, The Most Gracious, Most Merciful

1. In the Name of Allah, the Most Beneficent, the Most Merciful.
2. All the praises and thanks be to Allah, the Lord of the 'Alamin (mankind, jinns and all that exists).
3. The Most Beneficent, the Most Merciful.
4. The Only Owner (and the Only Ruling Judge) of the Day of Recompense (i.e. the Day of Resurrection)
5. You (Alone) we worship, and You (Alone) we ask for help (for each and everything).
6. Guide us to the Straight Way
7. The Way of those on whom You have bestowed Your Grace, not (the way) of those who earned Your Anger , nor of those who went astray

112. Surah Al-Ikhlaas or At-Tauhid (The Purity)
In the Name of Allah, The Most Gracious, Most Merciful

1. Say (O Muhammad ()): "He is Allah, (the) One.
2. "Allah-us-Samad (The Self-Sufficient Master, Whom all creatures need, He neither eats nor drinks).
3. "He begets not, nor was He begotten;
4. "And there is none co-equal or comparable unto Him."

Basically the message of the Qur'an is "There is only one God(swt) who has no partners, equals or progeny and only he is to be worshiped" the remainder of the Qur'an explains the whys. It does not tell us how to perform Islam.
__________________
When posting as a MOD my posts will be in red

No advertising, no copyrighted material, no personal attacks


MODERATOR OF: Buddhism: Judaism: Paganism:

When in doubt read the TOS MOD LIST FAQ's
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Islam
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top