U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Islam
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-15-2015, 06:41 AM
Status: "I'm travelling at the speed of light." (set 6 days ago)

1,233 posts, read 606,825 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodrow LI View Post
There are many misconceptions about Islam by both Muslims and non-Muslims.

As Islam is not an organization and has no central leaders it can not take over a nation. While it is true people claiming to be Muslim can take over nations and have done so, they are not Islam and do not represent Islam.
No true Scotsman, huh?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2015, 07:27 AM

15,511 posts, read 13,272,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Norne View Post
No true Scotsman, huh?
There is no identifying feature of a Muslim. Even a Muslim does not know who is a Muslim. We accept every person who says he is a Muslim as being a Muslim.

Being Muslim is known only to the individual and Allaah(swt). We only know who says they are Muslim.

As a Muslim is simply a Person who performs Islam to the best of his/her ability, there is no way to know a person is not doing such.

Being Muslim is not a race or membership in anything. One does not join Islam. The only way we know a person is not a Muslim, is if they emphatecally say they are not, but even that is not 100% true because it is possible they do not know the meanining of Islam and they are performing Islam to the best of their ability, without realizing it.

The only thing I can say is a particular action either is or is not what I believe is the performance of Islam.

No advertising, no copyrighted material, no personal attacks

MODERATOR OF: Buddhism: Judaism: Paganism:

When in doubt read the TOS MOD LIST FAQ's

Old 11-15-2015, 08:30 AM

6,893 posts, read 3,391,107 times
Not Muslim, but I join you in condemning these acts of terrorism. These men attach themselves to the cloak of Allah(), and they are unworthy. This is not a Muslim problem, and Muslims should not have stand alone in their condemnation.

Old 11-15-2015, 08:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronkonkomanative View Post
not muslim, but i join you in condemning these acts of terrorism. These men attach themselves to the cloak of allah(), and they are unworthy. This is not a muslim problem, and muslims should not have stand alone in their condemnation.
thank you

Old 11-15-2015, 11:46 AM

8,036 posts, read 4,197,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodrow LI View Post
Now that we know for certain that ISIS has claimed responsibility for the Paris attacks. We as Muslims must unite and present a strong front against those who claim to be Muslim and commit Terrorism

We must also express our thoughts and concerns for the innocent people of Paris who are suffering because of this Atrocity.

May Muslims and non-Muslims unite to turn our attention towards helping the people of France, especially the residents of Paris.

What can we as individuals do to Help?

A few tips can be found here

#MuslimsStandWithParis: 4 things Muslims must do right away | SoundVision.com

Each of us alone is a small voice, but together we can show our support for France and our condemnation of the cowards that commit acts of Terrorism
Thanks for posting this Woodrow. As always seems to be the case, it's a tiny pack of rabid dogs within the larger religion that are the source from which springs the demonization of the whole.

It has often concerned me that some day, some Christian or Atheist extremist group will take a page from groups like ISIS and Al Qeda and organize massive bombings or massacres at Mecca, Medina, Muslim sites in Jerusalem and anywhere else anyone sees as a center of Islam. I expect that the Muslim reaction would be very similar: Blame and demonization would fall on the whole of Western civilization, Christian, Atheist, Agnostic, etc.

It is sad to see how much hatred and fury such groups tend to inspire. And the utter wrong-headed approach is so puzzling. Anybody with half a brain knows that this is exactly the sort of thing that could turn France into an utterly obsessed anti-ISIS entity. Americans and others may joke about France a nation of wimps, but the reality is that France has one of the strongest, best and most advanced militaries in the world today. Don't they realize this?

Perhaps they do. Perhaps they are counting on France to escalate things. This may be a calculated effort to increase recruitment. No matter what France does, ISIS will get more recruits. If France reacts by withdrawing from attacking ISIS to any degree, the Paris attacks will look like victory and they'll see a bump upwards in recruitment. If France reacts by ramping up military strikes on ISIS, they'll see a bump upwards in recruitment due to an increasing "Us vs Them" aka "Christian vs Muslim" perception.

Old 11-15-2015, 11:52 AM

13,632 posts, read 8,554,879 times
Thanks for your post, Woodrow.

Even those of us who proclaim that we have no religion at all must recognize that as long as Westboro Baptist Church is allowed to call itself Christian, there must be radical mosques filled with those who will call themselves Muslim.

Old 11-15-2015, 12:07 PM

8,803 posts, read 7,576,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Listener2307 View Post
Thanks for your post, Woodrow.

Even those of us who proclaim that we have no religion at all must recognize that as long as Westboro Baptist Church is allowed to call itself Christian, there must be radical mosques filled with those who will call themselves Muslim.
The Westboro Baptist Church doesn't kill people. In fact, they don't do anything illegal as their entire family is comprised of lawyers. They make their money through lawsuits from people who attack them.

Old 11-15-2015, 12:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by godofthunder9010 View Post
Thanks for posting this Woodrow. As always seems to be the case, it's a tiny pack of rabid dogs within the larger religion that are the source from which springs the demonization of the whole.

It has often concerned me that some day, some Christian or Atheist extremist group will take a page from groups like ISIS and Al Qeda and organize massive bombings or massacres at Mecca, Medina, Muslim sites in Jerusalem and anywhere else anyone sees as a center of Islam. I expect that the Muslim reaction would be very similar: Blame and demonization would fall on the whole of Western civilization, Christian, Atheist, Agnostic, etc.

It is sad to see how much hatred and fury such groups tend to inspire. And the utter wrong-headed approach is so puzzling. Anybody with half a brain knows that this is exactly the sort of thing that could turn France into an utterly obsessed anti-ISIS entity. Americans and others may joke about France a nation of wimps, but the reality is that France has one of the strongest, best and most advanced militaries in the world today. Don't they realize this?

Perhaps they do. Perhaps they are counting on France to escalate things. This may be a calculated effort to increase recruitment. No matter what France does, ISIS will get more recruits. If France reacts by withdrawing from attacking ISIS to any degree, the Paris attacks will look like victory and they'll see a bump upwards in recruitment. If France reacts by ramping up military strikes on ISIS, they'll see a bump upwards in recruitment due to an increasing "Us vs Them" aka "Christian vs Muslim" perception.
I agree with all you have posted.

Interesting views and if not 100% true are dang near 100% true.

Old 11-15-2015, 01:26 PM

56,001 posts, read 54,493,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RonkonkomaNative View Post
Not Muslim, but I join you in condemning these acts of terrorism. These men attach themselves to the cloak of Allah(), and they are unworthy. This is not a Muslim problem, and Muslims should not have stand alone in their condemnation.
They are not like any Muslims I know, either. I am concerned for the Muslims in my workplace and with whom we do business, that others might focus on them as enemies because they are Muslim.

Old 11-15-2015, 02:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
They are not like any Muslims I know, either. I am concerned for the Muslims in my workplace and with whom we do business, that others might focus on them as enemies because they are Muslim.
I am convinced that is a goal ISIS wants to happen. I think many of us Muslims are aware there will be some backlash against all Muslims, but most of us will blame ISIS and not the non-Muslims.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Islam