U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Islam
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 11-24-2015, 05:41 PM
 
Location: Logan Township, Minnesota
15,511 posts, read 13,403,926 times
Reputation: 7408

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chava61 View Post
As far we know Jesus is dead just like every other human being (that dies at some point). Anything else can't be proven at this time.
The only empirical proof of a future event is after it happens. One can not even prove the sun will rise tomorrow. But one can present very strong argue ments as to why it will, as far as giving proof we can not do so until after the fact.
__________________
When posting as a MOD my posts will be in red

No advertising, no copyrighted material, no personal attacks


MODERATOR OF: Buddhism: Judaism: Paganism:

When in doubt read the TOS MOD LIST FAQ's
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 11-24-2015, 06:14 PM
 
1,601 posts, read 764,619 times
Reputation: 435
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodrow LI View Post
The only empirical proof of a future event is after it happens. One can not even prove the sun will rise tomorrow. But one can present very strong argue ments as to why it will, as far as giving proof we can not do so until after the fact.
I am certain that if, tomorrow, someone is beheaded...they will be dead. I can give proof of that now. Tomorrow, gravity will still exist. The universe will still exist. There is proof.

"The branch of philosophy that studies existence is metaphysics. Metaphysics identifies the nature of the universe as a whole. It tells men what kind of world they live in, and whether there is a supernatural dimension beyond it. It tells men whether they live in a world of solid entities, natural laws, absolute facts, or in a world of illusory fragments, unpredictable miracles, and ceaseless flux. It tells men whether the things they perceive by their senses and mind form a comprehensible reality, with which they can deal, or some kind of unreal appearance, which leaves them staring and helpless." - Leonard Pekoff

I am certain that tomorrow you will still be the second.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-25-2015, 05:05 AM
 
32,403 posts, read 33,292,536 times
Reputation: 15108
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodrow LI View Post
The only empirical proof of a future event is after it happens. One can not even prove the sun will rise tomorrow. But one can present very strong argue ments as to why it will, as far as giving proof we can not do so until after the fact.
Since Jesus is no longer on this earth, we know that he lived and died. We don't know that he survived death. That is simply a Christian belief.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-25-2015, 06:12 AM
 
Location: Logan Township, Minnesota
15,511 posts, read 13,403,926 times
Reputation: 7408
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chava61 View Post
Since Jesus is no longer on this earth, we know that he lived and died. We don't know that he survived death. That is simply a Christian belief.
Uh I am not a Christian.

I think Christians believe Jesus(a.s.) died and was resurrected.

That is not an Islamic Belief. We do not believe Jesus(a.s.) was crucified and killed. We believe he was spared from crucifixion by being physically lifted up to heaven.
__________________
When posting as a MOD my posts will be in red

No advertising, no copyrighted material, no personal attacks


MODERATOR OF: Buddhism: Judaism: Paganism:

When in doubt read the TOS MOD LIST FAQ's
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-25-2015, 06:17 AM
 
Location: Logan Township, Minnesota
15,511 posts, read 13,403,926 times
Reputation: 7408
Quote:
Originally Posted by juju33312 View Post
I am certain that if, tomorrow, someone is beheaded...they will be dead. I can give proof of that now. Tomorrow, gravity will still exist. The universe will still exist. There is proof.

"The branch of philosophy that studies existence is metaphysics. Metaphysics identifies the nature of the universe as a whole. It tells men what kind of world they live in, and whether there is a supernatural dimension beyond it. It tells men whether they live in a world of solid entities, natural laws, absolute facts, or in a world of illusory fragments, unpredictable miracles, and ceaseless flux. It tells men whether the things they perceive by their senses and mind form a comprehensible reality, with which they can deal, or some kind of unreal appearance, which leaves them staring and helpless." - Leonard Pekoff

I am certain that tomorrow you will still be the second.
However you can not prove that someone will be beheaded tomorrow until after it happens.

You can not prove the universe will exist tomorrow until after tomorrow arrives.

I am more of a quantum mechanics person than metaphysical. I base my concepts of the physical world based on what i learned in Physics classes.
__________________
When posting as a MOD my posts will be in red

No advertising, no copyrighted material, no personal attacks


MODERATOR OF: Buddhism: Judaism: Paganism:

When in doubt read the TOS MOD LIST FAQ's
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-25-2015, 08:23 AM
 
1,601 posts, read 764,619 times
Reputation: 435
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodrow LI View Post
However you can not prove that someone will be beheaded tomorrow until after it happens.

You can not prove the universe will exist tomorrow until after tomorrow arrives.

I am more of a quantum mechanics person than metaphysical. I base my concepts of the physical world based on what i learned in Physics classes.
Nonsense. Natural laws apply tomorrow. I said it is certain today that IF someone is beheaded tomorrow they will die.

And, quantum mechanics falls under the metaphysics branch of philosophy.

metaphysics: a division of philosophy that is concerned with the fundamental nature of reality and being

Your physics class taught you that there is no natural LAW or law of identity? Did you go to school in California?

“Proof,” in the full sense, is the process of deriving a conclusion step by step from the evidence of the senses, each step being taken in accordance with the laws of logic.

So, what evidence do you have to offer that the universe could possibly end tomorrow? Or that a beheaded man might live tomorrow?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-25-2015, 09:19 AM
 
Location: Logan Township, Minnesota
15,511 posts, read 13,403,926 times
Reputation: 7408
Quote:
Originally Posted by juju33312 View Post
Nonsense. Natural laws apply tomorrow. I said it is certain today that IF someone is beheaded tomorrow they will die.

And, quantum mechanics falls under the metaphysics branch of philosophy.

metaphysics: a division of philosophy that is concerned with the fundamental nature of reality and being

Your physics class taught you that there is no natural LAW or law of identity? Did you go to school in California?

“Proof,” in the full sense, is the process of deriving a conclusion step by step from the evidence of the senses, each step being taken in accordance with the laws of logic.

So, what evidence do you have to offer that the universe could possibly end tomorrow? Or that a beheaded man might live tomorrow?
I agree if someone is beheaded tomorrow they will die. but you have no proof some one will be beheaded tomorrow. There might be reasons to believe some one will be beheaded tomorrow but we will not be able to prove it until after it happens.

Actually even if a person is beheaded tomorrow we have no proof they will die until after the fact.

Many things can happen that would stop a beheaded person from dieing, not probable but possible. ie over night medical sciences advances to the point head reattachment become possible. We are actually at the point were the first head plant is being scheduled for December 2017. If that is successful it will mean that during the process you will have a person beheaded without dieing.

The First Human Head Transplant Has Been Scheduled For 2017 | IFLScience
__________________
When posting as a MOD my posts will be in red

No advertising, no copyrighted material, no personal attacks


MODERATOR OF: Buddhism: Judaism: Paganism:

When in doubt read the TOS MOD LIST FAQ's
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-01-2015, 10:30 AM
 
32,403 posts, read 33,292,536 times
Reputation: 15108
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodrow LI View Post
Uh I am not a Christian.

I think Christians believe Jesus(a.s.) died and was resurrected.

That is not an Islamic Belief. We do not believe Jesus(a.s.) was crucified and killed. We believe he was spared from crucifixion by being physically lifted up to heaven.
Well as far as we know he died. Anything else is simply a belief!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-01-2015, 11:20 AM
 
1,601 posts, read 764,619 times
Reputation: 435
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodrow LI View Post

Many things can happen that would stop a beheaded person from dieing,

The First Human Head Transplant Has Been Scheduled For 2017 | IFLScience
List them.

We are talking about chopping someone's head off tomorrow. Not about some futuristic medical breakthrough that may not work for many decades, if ever.

List the "Many things can happen that would stop a beheaded person from dieing".....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-01-2015, 06:23 PM
 
Location: Logan Township, Minnesota
15,511 posts, read 13,403,926 times
Reputation: 7408
Quote:
Originally Posted by juju33312 View Post
List them.

We are talking about chopping someone's head off tomorrow. Not about some futuristic medical breakthrough that may not work for many decades, if ever.

List the "Many things can happen that would stop a beheaded person from dieing".....
Actually I am talking about events happening. We can not prove they will happen until after they happen. While it is very probable that if a man is beheaded tomorrow he will die. But you can not prove today that a man will be beheaded tomorrow until after he is Beheaded. There fore you can not prove that a man beheaded tomorrow will die, because you have to first prove a man will be beheaded tomorrow.
__________________
When posting as a MOD my posts will be in red

No advertising, no copyrighted material, no personal attacks


MODERATOR OF: Buddhism: Judaism: Paganism:

When in doubt read the TOS MOD LIST FAQ's
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Islam
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top