U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Islam
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-22-2015, 08:18 PM

3,440 posts, read 1,585,898 times

Advertisements

I believe religion should be basically very personal and private, especially religion should NEVER be mixed with politics and other secular matters. This is because the ultimate purpose of a religion is for eschatological and soteriological reasons arising out of an inherent existential desperation.
It is too volatile to mix a very desperate existential drive with politics and other secular matters.

When humans are driven to an existential corner with fears and desperations they are willing to do the worst to protect their own existential security. This is why Islam [in part] is so dangerous by itself and when mixed with politics.

However as a subject by itself, religion should be shared and interacted with others of the same belief.
Woodrow LI however do not agree and insist Islam is only an individual affair.

Here is one view that counter Woodrow's views.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NLQLLbEfG4o

Woodrow,
What is the chapter of the Quran he mentioned at 1:38 of the video?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-25-2015, 06:55 AM

15,511 posts, read 13,291,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Continuum View Post
I believe religion should be basically very personal and private, especially religion should NEVER be mixed with politics and other secular matters. This is because the ultimate purpose of a religion is for eschatological and soteriological reasons arising out of an inherent existential desperation.
It is too volatile to mix a very desperate existential drive with politics and other secular matters.

When humans are driven to an existential corner with fears and desperations they are willing to do the worst to protect their own existential security. This is why Islam [in part] is so dangerous by itself and when mixed with politics.

However as a subject by itself, religion should be shared and interacted with others of the same belief.

Here is one view that counter Woodrow's views.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NLQLLbEfG4o

Woodrow,
Quote:
Woodrow,
I am at a loss there. I have very poor hearing (85-90% tonal hearing loss--can only hear a very narrow range of sounds) and his voice is at a tone out of my hearing range, so I am using Closed Captions. I see no reference to a particular Surah in the video at 1:35-45

Addressing this

Quote:
While I do believe Islam is an Individual responsibility, I do believe it should be shared. But by sharing I am against blatant proselytizing. I believe a person should lead a life that others would desire to emulate and be receptive to any questions that arise. It is most likelymy abhorrence of any form of overt proselytizing is an after effect of spending 20 or so years of my life as a very vocal, lound mouth Evangelist preaching Christianity to those that saw how obnoxious I was being.

No advertising, no copyrighted material, no personal attacks

MODERATOR OF: Buddhism: Judaism: Paganism:

When in doubt read the TOS MOD LIST FAQ's

Old 11-25-2015, 07:42 PM

3,440 posts, read 1,585,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodrow LI View Post
I am at a loss there. I have very poor hearing (85-90% tonal hearing loss--can only hear a very narrow range of sounds) and his voice is at a tone out of my hearing range, so I am using Closed Captions. I see no reference to a particular Surah in the video at 1:35-45
Thanks. Actually the point start somewhere @1:25 where he referred to a short surah, which is easy to understand and memorize.
He mentioned the name of the Surah but since I do not know Arabic, and yes it is also very vague, so I cannot catch what Surah he was referring to.

Any one with knowledge of Arabic can help here?

Last edited by Continuum; 11-25-2015 at 07:50 PM..

Old 11-25-2015, 08:32 PM

15,511 posts, read 13,291,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Continuum View Post
Thanks. Actually the point start somewhere @1:25 where he referred to a short surah, which is easy to understand and memorize.
He mentioned the name of the Surah but since I do not know Arabic, and yes it is also very vague, so I cannot catch what Surah he was referring to.

Any one with knowledge of Arabic can help here?
My assumption would be surah al-Ikhlas (Surah 112) as virtually every Muslim eventually memorizes it. But that is pure guess work as I do not see anything quoted from it in the Closed Captions.

Qul huwa Allahu ahadun
Say: He is Allah, the One! - 112:1 (Picktall)

Allahu alssamadu
Allah, the eternally Besought of all! - 112:2 (Picktall)

Lam yalid walam yooladu
He begetteth not nor was begotten. - 112:3 (Picktall)

Walam yakun lahu kufuwan ahadun
And there is none comparable unto Him. - 112:4 (Picktall)

No advertising, no copyrighted material, no personal attacks

MODERATOR OF: Buddhism: Judaism: Paganism:

When in doubt read the TOS MOD LIST FAQ's
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Islam
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or