U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Islam
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-08-2015, 06:08 PM

3,565 posts, read 1,874,751 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoppySead View Post
It's meaning is oppressive to modern women in general. They are trying to change this but so far it does symbolize a fundamental Muslim belief from what I've read. Women have been beaten to death for showing any skin, even accidental exposure. People who aren't Muslim have a hard time judging if it's simply decor and they don't wear it for the same meaning. If it were me I'd skip it right now with the climate but hey, that's only my opinion. I would feel disrespectful to people so soon after a terrorist event. If I didn't condone it, I'd want to express that and separate myself from radicals right now. I think this is what people are talking about when they are asking Muslims to do more to help the social climate. If you demand respect then showing some yourself goes a long way in helping that.

Some radical Muslim women have to wear it. Like the wife of the CA shooter. He purposely looked for a wife who was traditional and fundamental.
You are painting with a highly inaccurate brush. There are something like 1.5 billion Muslims worldwide. Laws, customs, beliefs, and culture vary widely.

There is no evidence that the woman in the OP was not showing respect. Literally none.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RotseCherut View Post
Has anyone seen the way non-Muslims are treated in Saudi Arabia? Try wearing a cross on your neck or wearing a kippa in Saudi Arabia and let's talk about dehumanization. If they don't arrest you and give you 100 lashes and possibly execute you, you could consider yourself very lucky.

As we speak, there are people rotting in dungeons in Saudi Arabia, Iran and other Islamic caliphates for the crime of simply bringing their non-Islamic religious book into the country. How is that for dehumanization, arresting people for reading a Bible , Torah, Vedic book, etc...

Anyone remember in Sudan, when they were going to execute the school teacher because she allowed a student to name her teddy bear Mohammad?? The people wanted to torture her to death and were horribly in anguish of the brutal and insensitive apostasy act she had committed! That is kind of dehumanizing in my opinion.

All I have to say is they are the biggest whining hypocrites on earth!
And what does this babble-flow of nonsense have to do with the woman in the OP, who lives in the United States?

Quote:
Originally Posted by orlando-calrissian View Post
Sad to see people justifying the loudmouth's behavior. Yes, the 1st Amendment gives them the right to be a jerk, but if he was yelling obscenities at a disabled person or a child, I'm sure y'all wouldn't be as quick to defend. Definitely some prejudice here.
I couldn't agree more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by golimar View Post
As a Liberal I am against overreaching religions, and I have never seen a religion more overreaching and illiberal than Islam.
You are not a Liberal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
Actually, I believe the Quran does compel women to cover in three different passages, no different than the Old and New Testaments.

Of course when this was dictated, it had been common for centuries for women of all faiths, to cover, to avoid attracting male attention.

Ever see a depiction of the Virgin Mary with her head uncovered?
Until recent times, nuns covered and women were expected to cover while in church for the same reason.

When to cover and by how much within Islam is addressed by various Hadiths, conceived hundreds- thousand+ years after Muhammad died. Covering varies from a head scarf to full body with only one eye visible.
The Quran directs Muslims to dress modestly. Back to back passages:

"Tell the believing men to cast down their glances and guard their private parts. That is purer for them. Indeed, Allah is Acquainted with what they do." -Quran 24:30

"And for now tell the believing women to cast down their glances and guard their private parts and not expose their adornment except that which [necessarily] appears thereof and to wrap [a portion of] their headcovers over their chests and not expose their adornment except to their husbands, their fathers, their husbands' fathers, their sons, their husbands' sons, their brothers, their brothers' sons, their sisters' sons, their women, that which their right hands possess, or those male attendants having no physical desire, or children who are not yet aware of the private aspects of women." -Quran 24:31.

Interpretation (as to specific covering--for both men and women) varies.

Compare, for example, Peter 3:1-4:

"1 Likewise, ye wives, [be] in subjection to your own husbands; that, if any obey not the word, they also may without the word be won by the conversation of the wives;

2 While they behold your chaste conversation [coupled] with fear.

3 Whose adorning let it not be that outward [adorning] of plaiting the hair, and of wearing of gold, or of putting on of apparel;

4 But [let it be] the hidden man of the heart, in that which is not corruptible, [even the ornament] of a meek and quiet spirit, which is in the sight of God of great price."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2015, 06:14 PM

3,293 posts, read 4,054,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCityTheBridge View Post
And what does this babble-flow of nonsense have to do with the woman in the OP, who lives in the United States?
It has to do with everything.. People don't like Muslims, in general, because they are even more bigoted, polarizing, judgmental, oppressive, regressive than the people they claim are attacking them. It is not about their skin color, dress, food, music, etc. Hindus, can have almost same facial features as Muslims and a very different Eastern culture, yet nobody worries about them. As well, Muslim citizens have murdered, wounded and assaulted more non-Muslims in the United States than non-Muslims have harmed Muslims. This is not just babble, it is a FACT! Don't believe me, go research it.. How many mosques have been attacked in this country? How many Eid parties have been shot up by Non-Muslims? How many skyscrapers have Non-Muslim immigrants blown up in the Muslim countries, like UAE (Dubai), Qatar, Saudi, etc??

Anyway, I wonder if this crybaby woman would stand up and defend a Jewish guy walking with his peyas, tallit and kippa around the streets of Riyadh or Mecca when people not only insult him for his religion, but actively beat and possibly murder him. I bet she would be screaming , "Allahu Akhbar" , like so many other of these jihadists yell when they bring harm to the infidels aka "kaffirs".

Old 12-08-2015, 06:19 PM

3,565 posts, read 1,874,751 times
Quote:
It has to do with everything.. People don't like Muslims, in general, because they are even more bigoted, polarizing, judgmental, oppressive, regressive than the people they claim are attacking them. It is not about their skin color, dress, food, music, etc. Hindus, can have almost same facial features as Muslims and a very different Eastern culture, yet nobody worries about them. As well, Muslim citizens have murdered, wounded and assaulted more non-Muslims in the United States than non-Muslims have harmed Muslims. This is not just babble, it is a FACT! Don't believe me, go research it.. How many mosques have been attacked in this country? How many Eid parties have been shot up by Non-Muslims? How many skyscrapers have Non-Muslim immigrants blown up in the Muslim countries, like UAE (Dubai), Qatar, Saudi, etc??

Anyway, I wonder if this crybaby woman would stand up and defend a Jewish guy walking with his peyas, tallit and kippa around the streets of Riyadh or Mecca when people not only insult him for his religion, but actively beat and possibly murder him. I bet she would be screaming , "Allahu Akhbar" , like so many other of these jihadists yell when they bring harm to the infidels aka "kaffirs".
In other words, you are bigoted against Muslims. You know nothing about this woman yet you are happy to ascribe all manner of ill-will and misdeeds to her because she is a Muslim.

Old 12-08-2015, 06:20 PM

4,095 posts, read 2,039,525 times
Quote:

You are absolutely correct.

As a Liberal, I am appalled so many of the Left lack such a common understanding.

Old 12-08-2015, 06:22 PM

5,464 posts, read 2,499,789 times
One of the students stated: Leilah hopes they will “unlearn their hatred and bigotry.”

If she thinks there is hatred and bigotry here she should go to the Middle East some time.

Old 12-08-2015, 06:29 PM

15,233 posts, read 8,527,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northeastah View Post
it's actually not a part of the religion and doesn't appear anywhere in the Koran. Many Islamic women don't wear any coverings at all. It's a personal choice.
Right - a personal choice (whether or not associated with religious practice) that should not be an issue with anyone else. There are a lot of fundamentalist Christian women who wear head coverings and long skirts to the floor - is that a problem for people?

Old 12-08-2015, 06:38 PM

6,005 posts, read 3,467,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northeastah View Post
Here's the "victim" posing with her hate Israel group (in the yellow headscarf)

#UTDivest | University of Texas at Austin Divestment Campaign

I guess she doesn't mind when she's the one spewing hate
Thank you for being like, one of maybe *two* people here who paid attention to my earlier post. These women are practicing to become professional victims, both on and off campus.

Old 12-08-2015, 06:41 PM

2,371 posts, read 1,502,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
Those scarves are part of their religious beliefs.
Back in the day many Muslim women didn't wear hijabs. In fact in the UK even as recently as 15 years ago, it was extremely rare for a Western Muslim women to wear religious garb as everyday apparel. The demonstrative Islamic thing in the West is relatively recent. As the old adage goes 'One step forwards ... '

Old 12-08-2015, 06:45 PM

4,899 posts, read 2,720,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nor Cal Wahine View Post
Thank you for being like, one of maybe *two* people here who paid attention to my earlier post. These women are practicing to become professional victims, both on and off campus.
I'm sick of these Muslims playing the victim card and then turning around and spewing Jew hate.

it's NOT OK to hate all Muslims for the actions of a "few" terrorists, but lets go ahead and hate all Jews and promote the boycott of anything Israeli because of the actions of the Israeli gov't.

Old 12-08-2015, 07:03 PM

5,456 posts, read 3,759,379 times
As someone else said, the shift manager messed up. A restaurant reserves the right to refuse service. A responsible and ethical shift manager would have asked the offending party to leave. I know that when I was in that kind of position, I would not have tolerated a customer who disturbed another customer that way.

He/she would have gotten applauded. I know that part of Austin and that restaurant well, there were probably not many patrons who agreed with the offensive person in question.

It is not the responsibility of the patrons to intervene, although it is a little sad no one stood up for those women.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Islam
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or